Overland Expo West at Mormon Lake Roll Call

I'd love to stay on the expo grounds, but last years dust was horrible and the water they pumped onto the track was from the buffalo pond which smelled much like raw sewage. So if I cannot stay over by the vendor area, I'm gonna opt to camp at Dairy or Double Springs CG. My two cents to anyone camping on the event grounds is to avoid the edge along the obstacle track. Bad joo joo or is that poo poo?

If I remember right #26, I never camped there before?
How about yourself?

Oops, Crap I miss understood your 3 word question????? A Public education rears it's ugly head again!

Access reservations online at Recreation.gov !

DIRECTIONS

From Flagstaff, Arizona, go southeast on Lake Mary Road/Forest Highway 3. Travel on Lake Mary Road for 19 miles. Access to the campground is via a short spur off of Lake Mary Road.

I paid $43.00 for 3 nights, includes a $10.00 "Transaction Fee", but I'm old and get the geezer discount.

Getting There:

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
35.03, -111.46333
35°1'48"N, 111°27'48"W

And...IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'VE FIGURED IT OUT!

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!

I got leave approved today. Thought I would leave VA on the 9th or 10th. Explore a little on way out. Attend Expo, then explore a little more..... then drive from AZ to NC, Pisgah National Forest where I am meeting up with some guys to camp there for memorial day weekend. I would then head back to VA on the 25th......

Sent from my Roof Top Tent

I pulled the trigger. I am registered...............going thru all the classes now, picking what I want to attend.

My wife and I are registered. I stayed right next to the course last year. I didn't notice anything bad about being right next to it. I think I was right next to the adventurist group as well.

I may or may not stay on the grounds. It depends where my spot is..plus this year I'll be chilling in my Hawk, so I'll be much more comfortable and I won't be traveling with "The Brian":)

I plan on staying on the grounds I think............I am going to research those 2 camp grounds you guys mentioned. I need to start planning where I am going to stay en route out there.

Last edited:
So is anyone from the southeast to the east heading out there? Anyone interested in a convoy? I'm planning on leaving around the 10th of May or earlier to explore on the way out. Any takers?

Signed up for the complete weekend and classes/training as well. Planning on leaving Thursday from Irvine, CA and coming back Monday.

Definitely interested in being in a convoy, and will be taking my D110.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Signed up for the complete weekend and classes/training as well. Planning on leaving Thursday from Irvine, CA and coming back Monday.

Definitely interested in being in a convoy, and will be taking my D110.

Welcome to the club, of course some of us are coming from the east, maybe you should start a convoy coming from ye ole west!

Planning on attending at least the last day, maybe more. We'll be driving down from the PNW, and interested in having others convoy along. We'll be getting through our first week of a 27 day cross country overland trip. Here's our tentative schedule for the trip:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zGybcdxdRmUc.k_JKeIbdhFJI

SUN May 10, 2015: Day 1: WA to Twin Falls, ID (6.5 Hrs)
MON May 11, 2015: Day 2: Twin Falls, ID to Arches National Park, Moab, UT (6.5Hrs) **Or WRT alternative route** Beef Basin? Colorado River Overlook? Canyon Rim Overlook?
TUES May 12, 2015: Day 3: Exploring Arches Trails (4 Hrs) **Or WRT alternative route**
WED May 13, 2015: Day 4: Begin White Rim Trail (4 Hrs) **Or WRT alternative route**
THURS May 14, 2015: Day 5: Second day of White Rim Trail (4 Hrs) **Or WRT alternative route**
FRI May 15, 2015: Day 6: Finish White Rim Trail (5 Hrs) **Or WRT alternative route**
SAT May 16, 2015: Day 7: Moab, UT to Flagstaff, AZ via Grand Canyon (6.5 Hrs) *Overland Expo West*
SUN May 17, 2015: Day 8: Overland Expo West 8am-3pm Exhibitors & Classes; 4:30 BBQ
MON May 18, 2015: Day 9: FREE DAY: Subject to Change: Flagstaff, AZ to Grand Canyon (1.5 Hrs)
TUES May 19, 2015: Day 10: Grand Canyon to Santa Fe, NM (7 Hrs)
WED May 20, 2015: Day 11: Santa Fe, NM to Altus, OK (6.5 Hrs)
THURS May 21, 2015: Day 12: Altus, OK to Dallas, TX (3.5 Hrs)
FRI May 22, 2015: Day 13: Dallas, TX
SAT May 23, 2015: Day 14: Meet up with Carry the Load, Dallas, TX
SUN May 24, 2015: Day 15: *Carry the Load Event*
MON May 25, 2015: Day 16: *Carry the Load Event*
TUES May 26, 2015: Day 17: Dallas, TX
WED May 27, 2015: Day 18: Dallas, TX
THURS May 28, 2015: Day 19: Dallas, TX to Memphis, TN (7 Hrs)
FRI May 29, 2015: Day 20: Memphis, TN to Nashville, TN (3 Hrs)
SAT May 30, 2015: Day 21: Nashville, TN to Asheville, NC (4.5 Hrs)
SUN May 31, 2015: Day 22: Asheville, NC to Bluemont, VA (8 Hrs)
MON June 1, 2015: Day 23: Bluemont, VA
TUES June 2, 2015: Day 24: Bluemont, VA
WED June 3, 2015: Day 25: Bluemont, VA to Philadelphia, PA (3 Hrs)
THURS June 4, 2015: Day 26: Philadelphia, PA to NYC, NY (2 Hrs)
FRI June 5, 2015: Day 27: NYC, NY to New Haven, CT (2 Hrs); Yale Tour

Welcome to the club, of course some of us are coming from the east, maybe you should start a convoy coming from ye ole west!

Sounds like a good idea. I've also posted on the SCLR board and Expedition Portal as there are a few people from SoCal on both.

As we get closer to the date and more people chime in, I'll put together a list and come up with a place and time to assemble and depart from.

Back
Top Bottom