Overland Expo WEST 2018: Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, gang. Brand new member here...I just wanted to say that chatting with Andy at your tent was the most helpful and useful conversation I had the entire Expo. Thanks for the opportunity to join...I'll be hitting you up for lots and lots of info. :)

Thanks, be sure to introduce yourself in the new member thread in the bonfire section!

Since this is a thread about Overland Expo, and I wasn't able to attend, I wanted to ask those who went -- has it gotten too big? I ask because a number of friends went, several of whom have been going for many years. They all came back swearing they would never return. Their descriptions of the crowds and the number of vendors selling ridiculous, overpriced goods really made it sound like it has. One described it as SEMA in a field.

The pictures that I have seen show lots of truly amazing gear and vehicles including many that had to cost at least 6 figures and several that were allegedly over 7 figures. One friend suggested they might as well move it to Vegas given its scale.

I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of those of you who were able to attend.

Since this is a thread about Overland Expo, and I wasn't able to attend, I wanted to ask those who went -- has it gotten too big? I ask because a number of friends went, several of whom have been going for many years. They all came back swearing they would never return. Their descriptions of the crowds and the number of vendors selling ridiculous, overpriced goods really made it sound like it has. One described it as SEMA in a field.

The pictures that I have seen show lots of truly amazing gear and vehicles including many that had to cost at least 6 figures and several that were allegedly over 7 figures. One friend suggested they might as well move it to Vegas given its scale.

I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of those of you who were able to attend.

Sounds like this could be a great conversation potentially chock full of constructive criticism that could benefit the event organizers. Please start a separate thread here on this topic!

:)

Similar. But no sink.

https://www.dometic.com/en/se/products/food-and-beverage/cooking/cooktops/dometic-mo-9722r-_-111188

mo9722r.2.png

Gonna cross my fingers and hope this fits over my fridge. :wrench

Sounds like this could be a great conversation potentially chock full of constructive criticism that could benefit the event organizers. Please start a separate thread here on this topic!

:)

As a matter of fact, Roseann and I have already determined not to allow the Expo to get any larger. We will instead focus on improvements.

Regarding the vendors: We already heavily curate them. We are constantly approached by companies who want to attend, who've been in the "traditional" 4x4 market and want a piece of the overlanding market. The problem is, most of them want to sell the same stuff: eight-inch lift kits, stinger front bumpers, etc., and want to display their Wrangler on 44s. We also constantly turn down ATV manufacturers because we feel they are not suited to our event or activity. This year we sold out of vendor space and had a waiting list of nearly 50 who wanted booths. With that said, we try not to be prejudiced against those who simply don't produce products we like ourselves, and obviously we want to provide a wide range of things for attendees to look at. We also ensure there is space for small companies as well as large—our basic vendor table in a tent starts at $400 IIRC.

Our overriding philosophy is inclusion, as buzz-word as that sounds. We don't care if you drive a GXV or a Jimny as long as you're decent to your fellow humans. The staff unanimously cheered when Blue Nelson's beat-up Mercedes W123 won the Cool Ride contest.

Biggest issue for next year at Ft. Tuthill? Traffic control, obviously! We did have external issues, and will likely be taking the shuttle company to court, as they completely screwed us, to put it succinctly.

damn dave, no sprinter love?

I had a great time at Expo West. I most likely wont go again, and it isn't the event, but my east coast humidity needing body cant handle it. I had nosebleeds all weekend and my feet and hands had huge cracks and sores after the weekend lol.

Tons of awesome vendors, and great people everywhere. Best place to see stuff you want to buy and touch and fondle it.

damn dave, no sprinter love?

I had a great time at Expo West. I most likely wont go again, and it isn't the event, but my east coast humidity needing body cant handle it. I had nosebleeds all weekend and my feet and hands had huge cracks and sores after the weekend lol.

Tons of awesome vendors, and great people everywhere. Best place to see stuff you want to buy and touch and fondle it.

I think it just sounds like you need more trips out West... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom