Overland Expo EAST 2018: Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^Not a true statement, those guys are out there working weeks before the event digging trenches for communications and power lines, marking off Hammertown, etc.

ANY organized event requires more behind the scenes work than most people can imagine. I'd venture a guess that the AAV guys are working on the logistics for the next Rendezvous event before the one they are at is even over. It's not as easy as ordering a couple of outhouses, posting a link to the event on the web and then sitting back and collecting the $$$.
That is correct. We began planning next years ARV before this years event was over... the dates for example are 12-15 September 2019. Too many moving parts to leave it up to chance.

I mean, I had a great time. Met a bunch of people, and had a lot of meaningful discussions.

I will say, that i am questioning dropping the multi thousands of dollars on a booth for next year based on this year's handling of the event.

I mean, I had a great time. Met a bunch of people, and had a lot of meaningful discussions.

I will say, that i am questioning dropping the multi thousands of dollars on a booth for next year based on this year's handling of the event.

I've heard similar from MANY people...

I definitely enjoyed the weekend despite the mud. It was nice meeting and camping with other adventurists. Thank you very much for the opportunity to tag along and take up space in your booth.
If I have the chance I would love to participate in Appalachian Rendezvous next year.

Roseann and I are home and the equipment in the venue trailer is finally powerwashed clean. I wanted to make a few comments.

We are as upset as everyone affected at the issues with the day-pass parking and shuttle service. We vetted them carefully and provided them with accurate initial numbers, and they assured us they could handle the traffic. However, no one on social media is going to write, "Wow, the shuttle service sucked; those poor Overland Expo directors must be pretty upset." In the end the responsibility lies with us and we have to own it. It's our reputation.

We apologize that too many experiences were less than perfect, or indeed spoiled. Unfortunately, the rainfall on Friday created unsafe conditions in the campground and on-site parking areas, and we were forced to turn people away. Conditions did not improve on Saturday and we could not accept any more campers. The fields were completely lacking in traction, and we could not risk putting vehicles any closer to each other as we could have if it had been dry. Redirecting so many attendees to the off-site Day Pass parking lots, the condition of those parking lots, and the surge of Day Pass interest, we were not able to accommodate the demand with the shuttle service we provided. We tried our hardest to make last-minute adjustments, but despite this many were inconvenienced and endured long waits—for which we are very sorry. Ironically, our choice of timing for the event this year was intended to move later in the year from possible hurricane effects; sadly we were engulfed in a far more mundane but equally wet weather system.

We are looking at two promising alternatives for next year's east show—both of them larger and far more weatherproof than Reeb Ranch. Now that we have the west show's venue pretty much dialed, we need to do the same with east. With the show's growth there we can afford to look at more possible locations.

Ironically, as many have noted, those several thousands of people who actually made it on site have been returning wonderful feedback, which in a way only makes the problems more distressing. We had one of the best driving courses ever, great attendance and feedback at the classes, and the vendors did extremely well. Thanks to all those who laughed at the mud and had a good time anyway.

And . . . sorry we missed the Marine Birthday Party! Handling less dangerous but still pressing tactical issues . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom