One thing leads to another: 2017 F350 Regular Cab with FWC Flatbed Hawk

Got a couple of pics today from Marc over at XPCamper. The truck tray is coming along. Raw aluminum is rad:

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 6.28.54 PM.png

Here's the aft trundle drawer.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 6.38.26 PM.png

Looks like all the parts to make the two behind-the-back-wheel boxes.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 6.31.34 PM.png

Some robot arm cutting out the panels for my below the deck storage boxes.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 6.32.10 PM.png

The giant metal origami machine. I like how thick the aluminum sheet is for the boxes that I'm getting - there's also a reinforcement patch welded onto the bottom of the back two boxes.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 6.31.56 PM.png

More of the metal origami machine. I'm sure a machinist out there will be more impressed by the radical nature of this piece of equipment.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 6.32.24 PM.png

Lots of precise bends and folds - there's a lot more involved here than just tacking on some boxes and calling it done.

Crossing my fingers to be able to pick up the truck next Thursday.

View attachment 37079

More progress:

flatbed forbox.png

Dude. The waiting is horrible. How many cases of beer will fit in that aluminum ice chest?

flatbed afbox.png

And the behind the wheel, aft boxes. Something about solid aluminum that makes me get all tingly in my man parts.

flatbed boxshield.png

And double layered aluminum shielding on the bottom of the rear boxes too.

flatbed lights.png

Here's the rear section of the flatbed - digging the old-school style round LED lights. Do you see the trundle drawer? Can't wait to load up the trundle drawer.

I've got a March 19th install date for the FWC camper - I'm dying over here.

Nah - was kidding on the ice chest - but I am having an ARB with rollout platform built into the backpack box.
Ah Damn! Sometimes I really dig those built in ice coolers with drains. Handy at times, storage when not needed.

Today's torture/update:

full flatbed.png

And here's a bit of a close up - was thinking about flying up this weekend but Marc said it's supposed to be dumping snow.

full flat draw.png

I'm really happy with the way the flatbed is coming out. A big point for me was Marc custom fits the flatbed so that you can get the trundle drawer and still get the cab over portion of the FWC camper down close to the cab of the truck. For a second I was considering the cab and chassis configuration but I opted out of it because I wanted to carry a spare under the truck. I'm not going to go the big tire route so this will work just fine for me. It's pretty slick to put the spare into the backpack box but i have other uses in mind for that space.

It's coming together:

flatbed rear corner.jpg

Storage everywhere.

backpack.jpg

Backpack box is going to hold 30 gallons of extra water.

water tank inside.jpg

The tank will be strapped down, it's baffled and there will be an aluminum shelf built over it to keep it from bouncing around.

backpack vent.jpg

Little bit of venting for the big box.

flatbed extended trundle.jpg

And my favorite bit of storage... emergency medical examination table, fly tying station and bbq stand. Awesome.

flatbed bumper hollow.jpg

Ran out to Prescott and got this thing installed! Check out some photos - I've got more but I've been monkeying with electrical stuff and installing scissors steps and stuff:
Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 4.33.47 PM.png

Truck drives GREAT with the camper on the back. The guys at AT put in about 30lbs into the air bags and I don't think I really even needed it - with the air in the bags she's back to the factory stinkbug.

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 4.34.48 PM.png

Still probably my favorite feature...

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 5.21.28 PM.png

Glad they were doing this, not me! The folks over there at AT in Prescott were such nice people - professionals all the way around. I asked for them to bolt through these thick aluminum plates that Marc at XP gave to me for the underside of the bed. Even though this meant more work and hassle for them - they said, "No problem - we'll get it done just how you want it".

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 5.21.15 PM.png

I'll snap more photos tomorrow. It's frankly kind of overwhelming "moving into" this truck/flatbed/camper combination - there's a lot to learn and know about. For example, opening and closing the top by myself took a few more moments for me to think through what I was doing (I really don't want to break something right now when it's brand new).

Have to say that flying down the mountain with the camper on the back and a full tank of water was pretty confidence inspiring, the truck/camper combo handled VERY well.

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 3.26.24 PM.png

Oh yeah, I'm selling this with bumper, tailgate, lights and mounting hardware if anybody is interested!

Looks BAD ASS! The flat bed turned out amazing, I agreed the trundle drawer is sweet, how deep is the storage in it? Perfect outdoor cooking area on top too!

Hey I just wanted to say THANKS for posting the amazing pictures of your epic build. This is almost exactly the build I've been designing myself, only I am probably going chassis cab and mount spare to the back. Very inspiring. I really appreciate it.

Hey I just wanted to say THANKS for posting the amazing pictures of your epic build. This is almost exactly the build I've been designing myself, only I am probably going chassis cab and mount spare to the back. Very inspiring. I really appreciate it.
No prob! It's fun posting things up and I try to learn from everybody else's stuff so I feel like I should at least try to give back any way I can. I thought about the cab and chassis but I didn't want to put the spare in the backpack box or off the back (I like to carry a dirtbike and will have a custom moto carrier made). One thing about the cab and chassis that I really like is that you can really spec out some deep under boxes - the frame rails are closer together so when you get your flatbed made you should ask for the deepest possible boxes to take advantage of that. Definitely I'd recommend the pull out trundle drawer - it's gotta be my favorite part of the flatbed, all my fly fishing gear is in there and it makes a great spot to rig up when out on a little bit of a fish-about.

Looks BAD ASS! The flat bed turned out amazing, I agreed the trundle drawer is sweet, how deep is the storage in it? Perfect outdoor cooking area on top too!
Yeah - that pullout is my favorite part of the whole flatbed - it's kinda why I went with XP - they didn't say no to anything I wanted.
It seems to be about four or five inches deep - the stainless lid is excellent for a work surface. I would like to add some kind of locking stop in the drawer mechanism so it locks into different amounts of extended positions - any idea on a quick solve for that problem (you're good at stuff like that!).

Did a three day solo trip up fly fishing near Mammoth Lakes - I ran the fridge at highest setting, cranked the furnace whenever I felt like it and used all the lights - my maximum draw down on the 158a/hour battery bank was 33a/hours overnight. I'd fire up the truck, drive to the river and deploy the 160watt portable solar and be topped up by noon or so. I was really happy with that part of the camper and the fact I could sit inside nice and toasty and drink frosty Tecates. Now I just want to climb in and disappear for awhile.

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.15.18 AM.png

Yeah - that pullout is my favorite part of the whole flatbed - it's kinda why I went with XP - they didn't say no to anything I wanted.
It seems to be about four or five inches deep - the stainless lid is excellent for a work surface. I would like to add some kind of locking stop in the drawer mechanism so it locks into different amounts of extended positions - any idea on a quick solve for that problem (you're good at stuff like that!).
I can you cross drill the slides? It would introduce a hole. To the drawer..... But easy!

Ah - I see where you're going with that... see man, the obvious, ain't always obvious! Know where I could find some type of spring loaded pin that would click into place as I pulled it out (then I'd have to push it in to slide further out)?

And thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom