One Second per Day on the Trail

4x4x4doors

Adventurist
The Pacific Crest Trail is a 2,663 mile footpath from Mexico to Canada by way of California, Oregon, and Washington. It passes through 25 national forests and 7 national parks.
Mac, who runs the Halfway Anywhere travel blog, filmed a second each day of his epic 5-month journey to produce this beautiful 3-minute video of what he saw along the way.
Turns out there are a number of these type vids out there on Youtube. This one is at
Anyway, worth taking a look. Be WARNED: This can be quite the rabbit hole.

I have a hard time limiting a day's adventure posting to just 10 stills. The task of narrowing a day to one or seconds seems daunting.

I did something similar on my a trip out west to Expo in 2016. Took a series of photos "from the dash" and stitched them together into a video. Sadly I think YT bots stripped the music off, but here's a link:

Did something like this too Memorial Day weekend 2017. From Mt. Washington NH back home to MD. 630 miles in roughly 7.5 hrs. All back roads and partially at night so flashing light warning.

I have a hard time limiting a day's adventure posting to just 10 stills. The task of narrowing a day to one or seconds seems daunting.

Yep that takes some discipline and dedication to do that everyday for 5 months. More so than setting a GoPro to take a time lapse and just letting it run for 7 hrs like I did.

Did something like this too Memorial Day weekend 2017. From Mt. Washington NH back home to MD. 630 miles in roughly 7.5 hrs. All back roads and partially at night so flashing light warning.

What camera did you use for that? Set up to take a picture every few seconds/minutes?

I've watched a lot more video in the last few weeks than before, still not my favorite media to watch or shoot but I see it has a place. I've also determined more of my own criteria for what I like and what I don't. I've watched some real crap and some pretty good stuff. Trying to distill that into a set of criteria.

I've watched some real crap and some pretty good stuff. Trying to distill that into a set of criteria.

For me, I don't like the "watch me play with my toys in the woods" type videos. If it's just a bunch of guys peacocking around acting cool and showing off all their junk, I'm turned off.

What I do like are videos which provide me a context. A who/what/where/when/why/how. That's why I like Chris Shontz's videos with Venture4wd or Dan Grec's videos with The Road Chose Me. They aren't the highest production quality, and they lack the stereotypical drone footage and gratuitous slow-mow action camp shots. Where they really shine is the content. It's honest, informative, and leaves me wanting to go where they've been.

That's ultimately the real litmus test for me. If I'm not wanting to go where they were by the end of the video, or worse yet I have no idea where they are, then the video is a failure for me. That said, there's still an artistic/aesthetic appeal for videos like the one above. It's different, not too showy, and does show a nice progression of time. I just couldn't want only those types of videos. But I can appreciate one every now and then.

Turns out there are a number of these type vids out there on Youtube. This one is at
Anyway, worth taking a look. Be WARNED: This can be quite the rabbit hole.

Nice presentation of an incredible journey!

Back
Top Bottom