Not All Who Wander Are Lost: Exploring San Diego County, SoCal, & Beyond- 2017 Edition

#31 Meyer Valley & Boulder Creek
4.5 miles | +1000'

IMG_3410.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

Exploring a portion of the Jacumba Wilderness in westernmost Imperial County. This rugged and picturesque high-desert area, administered by the federal Bureau of Land Management, gets relatively few footprints from recreational hikers and possibly more of them from migrants heading north from Mexico. Due to formidable fencing recently installed along much of the international border, there’s not as much immigrant traffic as there used to be. Nevertheless, for safety, it’s advisable to travel in groups out there.

#32 Kitchen Creek Falls North Approach
3.5 miles | +510'

IMG_3601.JPG

IMG_3606.JPG

IMG_3610.JPG

I got out early to beat the storm and hiked against the PCT thru-hiker traffic, south to the falls. The more popular route heads north from near the Boulder Oaks campground and under Interstate 8. The vast majority of freeway travellers pass near these falls without ever knowing it. It's truly a hidden gem. The upper part of the creek near the trail head offers some inviting swimming holes. I'll have to come back with the family on one of these warm, late spring afternoons.

#33 Three Sisters Waterfalls
4 miles | +1000'

IMG_3881.JPG

IMG_3891.JPG

I can remember the first time I hiked out to these falls about seven years ago. At the time I didn't hike a lot and this trek took a lot out of me. This time around, I did much better. Three Sisters Waterfalls, south of Julian, is one of the more popular Southern California falls. It is best to visit after a good season of rain. While the area is a spectacular spot to explore, the trail into the canyon it is extremely steep with little to no shade. Unfortunately, this often does little to deter unprepared visitors.

"It is debatably the most beautiful waterfall in San Diego County. On the other hand, it is a magnet for irresponsible use, attracting unprepared hikers who occasionally find themselves ending their hikes with an expensive helicopter ride to an urgent care facility." -Scott Turner

Last edited:
#34 Balboa Park's West Mesa
1.75 miles

IMG_3995.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG

When I can't get out to the back country, I'll settle for a little urban hiking. Although the museums, historic buildings, gardens, and San Diego zoo at Balboa Park get most of the attention, there are plenty of hidden spaces and trails to explore within the park's 1200 acres.

#35 Sunset Trail
7 miles | +800'

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4229.JPG

IMG_4228.JPG

Truly a gem of the Laguna Mountains and the Cleveland National Forest, the Sunset Trail takes hikers through dense forest, vast meadows, grazing cattle, gorgeous viewpoints and during a wet year, a pond and several large lakes. On a clear day, this trail offers impressive panoramic views of surrounding mountain ranges, the Pacific Ocean and downtown San Diego.

Native Americans summered here to avoid the heat of the desert and lowlands. Bedrock morteros can be found along the trail. Livestock ranching and mining came here in the 1800's. Recreation began to play an important role in the area by the early 1900's. Today, these mountains serve as a retreat for many outdoor enthusiasts of San Diego County.

#36 Bernardo Mountain
7.25 miles | +900'

IMG_4444.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

IMG_4450.JPG

Bernardo Mountain rises up above Lake Hodges within the 55 mile long San Dieguito River Park. This is also part of the Coast to Crest Trail which runs from Del Mar to Julian in San Diego County. I had a short day a work so I hit up a trail I haven't done before. I was a little concerned about the heat but made sure to pack more then enough water and took advantage of what little shade there was. With temperatures in the low 90's I was definitely pushing my limits. With summer in full swing here now, my hikes will need to be early morning or late evening outings.

#37 Ho Chi Minh Trail
3 miles | +385'

IMG_4660.JPG

IMG_4663.JPG

This hidden gem gives you an interesting hike and great view of the surf at Black's Beach. The Ho Chi Minh Trail is primarily used by surfers and beachgoers as a way to access the beach. The trail is particularly narrow and steep at times so use extra caution or avoid it entirely after a recent rain. Also, the northern part of the beach is an unofficial nude beach, so enter at your own ocular peril.

#38 Rock Mountain
1.5 miles | +600'

IMG_4853.JPG

IMG_4856.JPG

After years of effort by the Fallbrook Land Conservancy, nearly a dozen small- to medium-sized parcels of property around Fallbrook have been set aside as public open space and wildlife habitat. Just north of the Santa Margarita River, in a landscape of meandering creeks, steep-sided ridges, and secluded rural homes and "ranchettes," lies the 78-acre Rock Mountain Preserve. You can engage in a climb of the preserve's landmark peak, Rock Mountain, and enjoy a wide view of the surroundings from atop the heap of granitic boulders at the top.

#39 Santa Margarita River Trail
6.5 miles | +1200'

IMG_4857.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

A wild and scenic section of the Santa Margarita River, a part of the last undammed major watercourse in San Diego County, is open to visitation by self-propelled explorers, courtesy of the Fallbrook Public Utilities Department and the Fallbrook Land Conservancy (an advocacy group). A rather free-form recreational trail, for hikers, horses and leashed dogs, incorporates fragments of earlier dirt roads, paths, and an old railroad grade, and wends its way nearly three miles along the south bank of the river. Additional looping side paths descend to the sandy banks of the river itself.

Come here to experience a free-flowing river with abundant water. The river peacefully flows under a canopy of tall trees, between banks lined with dense riparian growth. It is a cool, refreshing place for a summer hike, but delightful at any time of the year.

#40 Indian Creek Loop
8.5 miles | +1200'

IMG_4967.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4973.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

At mile-high elevations in San Diego County you can find lingering bursts of wildflower color amid the somber pines and bright-green black oaks. For a wide-ranging introduction to this mountain landscape, plus a startling view of the Anza-Borrego Desert, the easy-going Indian Creek Loop around the north end of the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area is highly recommended. Much of this area was burned in the 2002 Pines Fire, which means the trees took a hit and look a bit ragged. Nonetheless, the pioneering undergrowth (and its consequent springtime blossoming) is especially impressive in a wet year like this. This route incorporates three trails: Noble Canyon Trail, Indian Creek Trail, and the famous Pacific Crest Trail.

#41 Cowles Mountain & Pyles Peak
6.5 miles | +1700'

IMG_5110.JPG

IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

One of my favorite routes in Mission Trails Regional Park. While Cowles sees hundreds of visitors every day, its neighboring peak, Pyles, sees relatively few in comparison. On this outing I got together with some friends who will be backpacking the high sierras with me soon.

#42 Garnet Peak
2.5 miles | +500'

IMG_5264.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

One of the best places to catch the sunrise in San Diego is from the summit of Garnet Peak in the Laguna Mountains. I started hiking at 5AM and could already feel the humidity in the air. The breeze fluctuated from cool to warm at times. At the peak I was greeted by numerous sand wasp hovering in the air, along with a couple of tarantula hawks. After soaking in the views of the desert below I began my descent back to the trailhead and well before things started heating up. I'm looking forward to the return of "hiking season" here in San Diego County when the temps cool down. Oh, the summit register needs a new logbook.

#43 Cuyamaca Peak
5.5 miles | +1700'

IMG_5599.JPG

IMG_5601.JPG

Managed to catch the last moments of sunset with one of my hiking buddies atop the second highest peak in San Diego County. As the sun dipped below the horizon, everything was bathed in the light of a nearly full moon. We enjoyed a couple of summit beers and just soaked it all in.

#44 Coronado Beach
1 mile

IMG_5677.JPG

IMG_5720.JPG

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

These summertime beach treks are great. I brought my wife and son down for a quick stroll along Coronado Beach to catch the sunset and then the full moonrise. A big thanks to the late Jerry Schad for suggesting this one.

"For a truly memorable experience, time your visit on a late summer evening when there is a full moon. Plan to be wading north of the Hotel Del at sunset. Can you imagine 70°F water tickling your toes, while at the same time, a big yellow moon launches itself over the fairytale turrets of the hotel right in front of you?" -Jerry Schad

#45 Barrel Springs to Eagle Rock on the PCT
10 miles | +1090'

IMG_6135.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

There are plenty of areas in San Diego's backcountry where you can get away from it all and have the trail all to yourself. Warner Springs is one of those areas. Although, if it's solitude you're looking for, stay off the Pacific Crest Trail in the spring when all the thru-hikers are making their northbound trek.

Eagle Rock on the PCT is an interesting destination that can be reached from the north near Warner Springs along Highway 79, or from the south at Montezuma Valley Road. However, there are plenty of magnificent views along the way. It was neat to think that I'll be on the same trail further north in the high sierras in about a week.

Last edited:
#46 Kings Canyon NP: Onion Valley to Flower Lake
2.75 miles | +1450'

IMG_6256.JPG

IMG_6258.JPG

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

Kings Canyon National Park preserves a huge unspoilt and beautiful area of the central Sierra Nevada mountains, containing several deep glaciated canyons, countless lakes, pools, meadows and waterfalls, and over 20 peaks that exceed 13,000 feet. The park also shelters six groves of giant sequoia trees, found near the southern boundary which is shared with Sequoia National Park; the two are administered as one unit, and have similar scenery except that Sequoia has more of the huge trees.

I spent 5 days and 4 nights backpacking, camping, and fishing around this beautiful land. My longest trip thus far. I leaned a few things too... I brought too much food and I could have been more physically prepared for trekking above 10,000' elevation. It was an amazing adventure!

#47 Kings Canyon NP: Flower Lake to Charlotte Lake
5.75 miles | +1420'

IMG_6301.JPG

Making our way up to Kearsarge Pass.

IMG_6308.JPG

The sign needs to be updated. Firearms were allowed in National Parks in 2010.

IMG_6537.JPG

Stunning views from Kearsarge Pass, above 11,700' elevation. Kearsarge Pinnacles, Kearsage Lakes and Bull Frog Lake can be seen to the west. The trail continues beyond the pass, descending to the west into the scenic backcountry of Kings Canyon National Park and connecting with the John Muir Trail.

IMG_6326.JPG

IMG_6345.JPG

Charlotte Lake.

IMG_6379.JPG

Home away from home.

IMG_6532.JPG

#48 Kings Canyon NP: Charlotte Lake to Rae Lakes
5.25 miles | +1500'

IMG_6414.JPG

Heading north on the JMT/PCT, with the sheer face of Charlotte Dome in the distance.

IMG_6421.JPG

IMG_6423.JPG

So many switchbacks heading up Glen Pass.

IMG_6424.JPG

Views from Glen Pass with Rae Lakes in the far distance; our campsite for the next two days.

IMG_6440.JPG

From the top of the pass, you don't realize how much elevation you loose heading down to the lakes. It was going to be a long climb back up.

IMG_6446.JPG

Crossing the shallow channel separating two of the lakes. I was waiting for someone to fall in but no such luck.

IMG_6540.JPG

We spent the next day here as well, just moving to another site on the other side of the lake. The trout were delicious. Practically every cast was a hookup. In fact, the only problem is that there are too many fish for the amount of food present, so they all grow very slowly. We never saw any bears, only their scat, but the deer were quite active.

#49 Kings Canyon NP: Rae Lakes to Onion Valley
11.5 miles | +2750'

IMG_6538.JPG

Morning reflections on Rae Lakes.

IMG_6496.JPG

Last campsite of our trek. I had a nice little beach just below my tent here where I spent most of my time fishing and swimming.

IMG_6505.JPG

Starting the long haul up towards Glen Pass.

IMG_6504.JPG

Looking back towards Rae Lakes and Black Mountain at 13,289'.

IMG_6542.JPG

At the top of Glen Pass at 11,978' elevation on the John Muir Trail/Pacific Crest Trail.

IMG_6516.JPG

IMG_6556.JPG

Fantastic views of Bullfrog Lake, which is closed to camping.

IMG_6522.JPG

Great views of Kearsarge Lakes and Kearsarge Pinnacles. I'd love to camp and fish here for a few days. Our original plan was to camp here but we decided to push on to the trailhead since we had a storm bearing down on us and nobody felt like setting up camp in the rain.

IMG_6526.JPG

My friend Brian and I atop Kearsarge Pass. Just under 5 more miles to the trailhead.

IMG_6528.JPG

Heart Lake. We eventually made it back to the parking lot, dropped our packs, and collapsed into our vehicles. Everything hurt. But it felt amazing to kick off our shoes and just enjoy the ride back down to Lone Pine, where we devoured cheeseburgers and gulped beer at the Mt Whitney Cafe.

After dropping off the rented bear canisters at the ranger station, we headed south back to San Diego. During the 5 hour drive, we napped, took turns behind the wheel, and discussed the various highlights (and lowlights) of our adventure. I'm looking forward to exploring the sierras again next year, and being better prepared for it.

"Keep close to Nature’s heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." -John Muir

Back
Top Bottom