Nexus Tablet

F250inTX

Adventurist
Hey Gurus, I have a question ... I just returned from a month long trip and need help. I use a nexus tablet with Maps.me for navigation. I started trip with it plugged into my factory USB port on my F250. With GPS and the app running the charge was less than used and needed so did not last all day. Moved it to my 1500 watt inverter that has USB on it. Tablet lasted longer but not as long as needed. So I moved it to and AC port on inverter and used a USB adapter. Still not enough. Do you think it's the battery in Nexus or I need more USB power? If power what is recommended?

Thanks....

Tablets need a stronger adapter, and the quality of the cord is critical. Odds are the problem is a low quality charging cable. Personally, I use this the split charging cable from this pack along with the now discontinued older version of this charger and it keeps up with my Galaxy Tab A 10" and phone at the same time. I have been so happy with the set up that I now have the same set in all 3 of our vehicles.

Tablets need more power than most OEM USB's provide. I didn't want to have to screw around with inverters or ad hoc solutions so I had @Mitch upgrade my in-cab charging to high output USB's x4. Now I can charge tablets with ease :D

Tablets need more power than most OEM USB's provide. I didn't want to have to screw around with inverters or ad hoc solutions so I had @Adventure Wired upgrade my in-cab charging to high output USB's x4. Now I can charge 4 tablets at once :D
unfortunately, I have not seen any of the built-in USB that will handle the Quick Charge system (multiple voltages) for the android devices so you are still better off with a cigarette lighter adapter.

The high amp Blue Sea 4.8 USB's should charge anything - even a Microsoft Surface

While the Blue sea socket does supply enough amperage for the Nexus in the Original post, it is not the optimal solution. The Nexus line is capable of quick charge 2.0 which will allow faster charging at higher voltages 5v, 9v, and 12v depending on the temperature and battery state. The blue sea socket is strictly 5 volt at 2.4a per port (2 ports for the 4.8a) 2.4a at 5 volts is 12watts output. Going to the quick charge at 12v at 2a is 24 watts, or double the output of the blue sea ports. The higher charging voltage makes a huge difference in the charging speed on a battery that is at a low charge (it steps the voltage down as the battery charges) and helps to compensate for voltage loss due to either long cables or cables of poor quality.

The Surface tablet is an entirely different charging issue best suited for another thread.

While the Blue sea socket does supply enough amperage for the Nexus in the Original post, it is not the optimal solution. The Nexus line is capable of quick charge 2.0 which will allow faster charging at higher voltages 5v, 9v, and 12v depending on the temperature and battery state. The blue sea socket is strictly 5 volt at 2.4a per port (2 ports for the 4.8a) 2.4a at 5 volts is 12watts output. Going to the quick charge at 12v at 2a is 24 watts, or double the output of the blue sea ports. The higher charging voltage makes a huge difference in the charging speed on a battery that is at a low charge (it steps the voltage down as the battery charges) and helps to compensate for voltage loss due to either long cables or cables of poor quality.

The Surface tablet is an entirely different charging issue best suited for another thread.
I've got a query in to Blue Sea, but I'm pretty sure the output of the 1045 is 4.8 total max, divided among the total draws applied.
For example when one device is pulling 1.5 in one port, the other port may provide 3.3. Or a single port may provide 4.8.

Blue Sea Tech Support said:
Thank you for the question. The 1045 can apply all 4.8 amps to a single output or divide that 4.8 amps between the two. It doesn’t necessarily have to even between the two.
And there we have it, making it capable of the 24 watts.

Back
Top Bottom