NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS!

Hi all, names Brian from coastal North Carolina and I'm just getting back into off roading after a 20 year hiatus. Wife put her stamp of approval on our new 2018 Chevy ZR2 Diesel and its only done a few camping trips so far. Its remained stock with only a few conveniences like removable CARR steps so the kiddos can get in and a tonneau cover in back to keep the camping gear dry during travel. I'm looking forward to taking some classes and learning how to best use my rigs advantages and find out its limits. I'm glad to see there's a lot of events that happen out around Uwharrie and near the Asheville area here in NC. Hope to see you guys there!

Welcome Brian!

0DB319EC-5214-4139-B73B-3373EE9BE3BB.jpeg

Hi all! Time for an introduction. I found this site while researching a piece of gear, and it looks like a great place to hang out! A little about myself - I live in the Reno area and take great advantage of the hiking and fishing around the Eastern Sierras and Northern California. My wife and daughter join me quite a bit on some longer trips where we often visit Yellowstone and our home state of Montana. I'm a couple of years out from retirement when I plan to take my truck and camper and thoroughly fish every National Park in the west that has fish.

My camper rig is a diesel 2014 Ram 3500 single rear wheel and a Hallmark Everest, and my semi-daily driver is a basically stock 2004 Wranger LJ. We also do a bit of back country camping in the Ram (think forest service roads, Death Valley boondocking, etc) so I'm gradually taking the Ram up a step or two in off-road ability. (nothing extreme realizing its ~12,000 lbs and 22 ft long). Big plans for it are the White Rim trail.

Looking forward to the tips and discussions at this site.

Attachments

• IMG_2047.JPG
    IMG_2047.JPG
    647.7 KB · Views: 48
Hi Piscator, Nice set up and a great retirement plans. Please post up your trip reports so us desert people can see how you water types live. :)

Howdy folks.
New guy here, my name is Buck. I hail from northwest Montana and work in North Dakota. I heard about this forum while watching a youtube video and thought i would check it out. Ive spent most of my adult life overseas and have been back stateside for about 4 years now. Later this year im going to put my house up for sale, buy two rigs, an offroad trailer, and a camper and spend some time camping/hunting/overlanding in this area and look for some property to dump a steel building on for a shop while being closer to work.

Im in research mode at the moment and am leaning towards a new Chevy Colorado diesel and an old 12 valve cummins. Currently driving a 3rd gen tacoma and REALY want to go back to a diesel rig. So far in my short time here ive found more info on the Colorado than any other places ive looked.

Thanks for having me.

S/F,
Buck

Last edited:
Hey Buck, Welcome aboard.

You are really between two different horses. Big, reliable Dodge or a smaller more tech Colorado. Very curious to see which you choose.

Hey Buck, Welcome aboard.

You are really between two different horses. Big, reliable Dodge or a smaller more tech Colorado. Very curious to see which you choose.

Thanks much.
Im going with both LOL. I need a backup vehicle which would be the old Dodge assuming i can find one i like at that time. 95% certain the daily driver will be a built diesel colorado but still weighing all the pro's and cons at this time.

Ive gone from full size gas rigs to 81 toyota 4 bangers/jeeps/diesel 3/4 ton pickups/and now a 3rd gen tacoma throughout my life and for my uses a diesiel pickup (or two in this case) would be the most beneficial.

Howdy folks.
New guy here, my name is Buck. I hail from northwest Montana and work in North Dakota. I heard this about this forum while watching a youtube video and thought i would check it out. Ive spent most of my adult life overseas and have been back stateside for about 4 years now. Later this year im going to put my house up for sale, buy two rigs, an offroad trailer, and a camper and spend some time camping/hunting/overlanding in this area and look for some property to dump a steel building on for a shop while being closer to work.

Im in research mode at the moment and am leaning towards a new Chevy Colorado diesel and an old 12 valve cummins. Currently driving a 3rd gen tacoma and REALY want to go back to a diesel rig. So far in my short time here ive found more info on the Colorado than any other places ive looked.

Thanks for having me.

S/F,
Buck

Welcome!

100DCDA4-19ED-40F1-B78A-CD2AC1A982EA.jpeg

Thanks much.
Im going with both LOL. I need a backup vehicle which would be the old Dodge assuming i can find one i like at that time. 95% certain the daily driver will be a built diesel colorado but still weighing all the pro's and cons at this time.

Ive gone from full size gas rigs to 81 toyota 4 bangers/jeeps/diesel 3/4 ton pickups/and now a 3rd gen tacoma throughout my life and for my uses a diesiel pickup (or two in this case) would be the most beneficial.

Well Buck, you are not alone.

I go between a jeep JKU with an Ursa Minor top and a Chevt Express AWD. No drama to get there and I am in the van living like Thurston Howell the III. Rough road in dicey terrain and the jeep is there with me.

Well Buck, you are not alone.

I go between a jeep JKU with an Ursa Minor top and a Chevt Express AWD. No drama to get there and I am in the van living like Thurston Howell the III. Rough road in dicey terrain and the jeep is there with me.

Nice,
those ursa minor setups are drool worthy.

I travel with the worlds most violent shitzu who accepts nothing less than 65 degree living temps and i really want an indoor shower or i would be seriously considering one. I just finished devouring Daves ram/FWC flatbed rig thread and have been taking copious notes.

In a nutshell i need to be self sufficient for two week stretches. Water/Heat/etc.I dont think propane powered systems are going to allow that in the temps i live in (-50F is a pretty standard winter temp out here) without bolting a 500 gallon propane tank to a trailer so im investigating upfitters who would be willing to gut an FWC fleet flatbed and install a diesel truma/webasto dual top system for heat and hot water.

-50?!? F that S I am staying home! LOL.

Born and bred desert rat. I am happy as a clam up to 115. Anything below 50 I'm so bundled up I can't move.

At those temps you really need a self contained survival body of some sort. Now I know why you are insisting on diesel. You need that diesel heater, stove and water heater. With that a two week stay should be easy.

Really curious on what your set up will be. Very interested in how you put the unit together to handle those temps.

Hello everyone,

This is Wayne and I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Spend most of my time outdoors, camping (summer and winter), fishing, hunting, off-roading, hiking, ADV riding and skiing when I'm not away at work. Had knee surgery in January so all this is on hold for now.
My rig is a 2018 Ram Power Wagon. I use it for towing a boat, a 32' holiday trailer and exploring our vast country. Mountains are only 45 minutes away with lots of free camping (Crown land) around and tons of forestry roads to explore.

Hi Wayne and welcome to the party.

Sounds like you (like me) live on the edge of a great big playground. Ain't it great?

Look forward to hearing trip reports from the Great White North. Us desert guys love hearing about that. It is so different from what we are used too.

Hello everyone,

This is Wayne and I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Spend most of my time outdoors, camping (summer and winter), fishing, hunting, off-roading, hiking, ADV riding and skiing when I'm not away at work. Had knee surgery in January so all this is on hold for now.
My rig is a 2018 Ram Power Wagon. I use it for towing a boat, a 32' holiday trailer and exploring our vast country. Mountains are only 45 minutes away with lots of free camping (Crown land) around and tons of forestry roads to explore.

Welcome Wayne!

D55BA329-2010-4585-A2D2-F45642486D93.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom