Need a recommendation on a CB

hidesertwheelin

Adventurist
My Cobra 18WXST crapped the bed this weekend. What's a good CB to get nowadays? I haven't bought one in damn near 20 yrs. I saw a cobra with bluetooth, what is the point of that?

Midland 75-822

Mobile unit plugs into a hard mounted antenna / power supply or uses its own small antenna / battery pack.

Versatile, easy to use, less than $100.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I actually already have that exact BaoFeng radio, I just don't have a license yet. And with my time restraints with work and my kids activities, I don't see myself getting my license any time soon. I don't have time to study and I don't have time to go to a class (my local class is all 4 Saturdays of the month of November from 7am-5pm).

I actually already have that exact BaoFeng radio, I just don't have a license yet. And with my time restraints with work and my kids activities, I don't see myself getting my license any time soon. I don't have time to study and I don't have time to go to a class (my local class is all 4 Saturdays of the month of November from 7am-5pm).

Copy that.

Easier to study on your own: http://arrlexamreview.appspot.com/

Midland 75-822

Mobile unit plugs into a hard mounted antenna / power supply or uses its own small antenna / battery pack.

Versatile, easy to use, less than $100.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
I just sold my cb to switch over to this unit, and I only keep the cb as it is a requirement of the ohv volunteer program. It is about 75 bucks on amazon

I just downsized my CB set up to a Uniden PRO520XL

Ham is the preferred method of communication for me now a days, but you also need to be prepared for the lowest common denominator. CB is the minimum for the runs I go on.
With my local Xterra group, we're slowly moving everyone to ham radio.

I've had good luck with Uniden. The Pro 538 is a solid unit with a front-firing speaker (no need for an external) if you have the space. If space is tight then the Pro 510 XL is a good compact unit. I've had multiple units of both over the years, all worked perfect until sold/traded. I wish I still had a few, I'd send you one.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/uniden-bearcat-pro-538w-cb-radio
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/c...os/products/uniden-bearcat-pro-510xl-cb-radio

I'm not sure how far you've geeked out on CB in the past, but I'll throw this out for anyone reading:
Antenna and mounted position on the vehicle, proper tuning, and even cable length are even more important to CB than 2-meter. If you don't have one, I recommend getting a cheap SWR meter to dial it in during the install: http://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/cb-swr-meter

I agree with Chazz, antenna mounting/tuning is more important than what CB you buy. I have the Cobra 75 (all built into the handheld part) and have used 3 of these. They have worked great and take up almost no space. Always tuned with a SWR meter and good antenna placement. My current rig, due to the FWC on it, I went with dual antennas with the correct split coax. I was on El Camino Del Diablo (southern AZ, near Yuma) and was picking up a guy in New Orleans. Sure he was running power to reach that far but I was the only one in the group to hear him.

Not a great pic of the unit but shows the main unit. There is a very small box that the mic cable, power and coax connects to, mounted out of site.

PICT6346.jpg

Uniden 510/520 is a great little radio. I do, however, agree with the comments about going HAM, but that decision may be affected more by the folks you wheel with. If the majority is still CB, then that's what you'll need. Momentum is swinging toward HAM tho.

If you've got any inclination to go ham, here is a thread a member on my Xterra board put together.
Poor Man's Ham Radio (Less than $100)

As I'm sure you know, operating an amateur radio station requires a license from the FCC. This is obtained by taking an exam.
All of the questions in the question pool are published by the FCC. Many websites have taken the question pool and created practice test.

I used http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ but there are many others.

Thanks for the info and input everyone. I'm going to buy either a really cheap Uniden CB or one of the handheld units by Cobra or Midland and then just bite the bullet and get my HAM license. I've had the radio for almost 2 years and still have not gotten it yet, so maybe this will motivate me to finally do it.

I have the Uniden Bearcat Pro 505 XL. Couldn't be happier. Its very simple and one of the least expensive. I used one of the handhelds and it bugged me. Can't put my finger on why I just really didn't like it. Anyway. Good luck with you search.

If it helps, I downloaded a free practice test app for my phone and just ran through the questions lazily on smoke breaks over the course of a month. Once I had them licked, I scheduled my test. Baofeng radio, magnetic roof-mount antenna, HT upgrade antenna, and test ran me less than $100, total.

I've been able to speak to people in back in town from a secret camp spot 2+ hours away where there's no cell signal. So I'm sold.

Commo is important. I'm running 2M, CB and a Wilson repeater so I'm covered all the way around. Mounted on the roof rack is a 1/4wave (2m), 5/8ths wave (cb) and the "trucker" antenna for the Wilson. For a HAM setup 2M/70cm is the lowest common denominator, everyone has one, if it isn't mounted they have a handheld. On my shelf is a backup Baefong dual band that cost about $30 and is programmed with the local repeaters, FRS and GMRS (for a couple of folks I camp with who insist on running those radios). The iPad has a BadElf puck, but the most important pieces of gear are my plastic Jesus (I don't care if it rains or freezes) and the coffee...and the boogie wipes for my kids (on the shelf if you know what those are you probably noticed).

F8Industries-WebSized-02.jpg

Dat grape scent, tho.

Solid setup. That shelf stock? Van?

Also, I need to get on the patch collecting bandwagon.

Not grape but better than a felony forest. :cool:

E-150 van that I'm building out. The shelf isn't stock, it's from Vertically Driven. The reviews are all over the place on Amazon, but for what it is, it rocks. I had to modify mine a little to fit right, however I never expect bolt on to actually bolt on. The radios are actually mounted on a piece of 1/2" ply that I fitted to the shelf and keep in place using the screws for the visor locks. The patches, one of them is swag for my book series, the rest I would rotate on my body armor every few days depending on my mood in my old career. I like patches that mean a little something, morale patches were just that for me, something to make me smile.

Shelf-It: http://www.amazon.com/Vertically-Dr..._brands_browse-bin=Vertically+Driven+Products

Go to a local HamFest. Check the Flea Market tables and under the tables for cheap CB's. Usually many to be found on the cheap/good condition. Buy a couple, to have a spare. Ham is grand, but cb has its place. Only go ham if passionate about the hobby, not just for Comms. If you go Ham, listen alot before speaking, no room for cb talk or lingo. 73.

Back
Top Bottom