Need a New Bike. Not a beginner.

CJones

Adventurist
Well, I need a new bike. Maybe need is a strong word. I would really, really like a new bike. I am currently on a Rock Hopper from, well... let's just say it's reached geriatric status. I see all these "Good Beginner Bike" threads and I read them. But I'm not a beginner. And though I'm on an ancient relic right now I have ridden some pretty sweet bikes. I have virtually no money. I've been on craigslist looking at Cannondale, Specialized, GT, Treck, and even Chumba. Everyone seems to want way more than their bike is really worth. So onto my question.

What recommendations would you have for a bike that is light weight, HT, 29er for around 500 bucks used? I'm really looking for a good frame. Components can be upgraded later.

To be honest, if your budget is hovering around the $500 mark, most bikes you're going to find are going to be in the entry level market. Just doing a quick scan of Performance Bike's website on new 29ers, you can find some entry to mid level bikes for about $500-$600, and then upgrade the drivetrain/components later. It's a pretty far reach to look for used Trek/Specialized/Cannondale/Felt bikes in that bracket as their general pricing is in the mid to high end now. Most folks don't want to take a hit on "good" brands and the depreciation, for the lack of a better term, isn't as great. We all know that bikes depreciate just as bad as cars do.

I'd look into some of the not-as popular makes like Fuji, GT, Giant, SE, or Diamondback if that will increase the search parameters. The frames are more or less the same once you narrow down your search. Seems you need to do a little more research and up your google-fu and possibly even consider a "beginner's" bike budget if you're having trouble fitting the $500. Keep digging at craigslist and that one good deal will eventually pop up.

Don't forget our own marketplace has got a Felt 29er in AZ for $400 that's worth checking out: http://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/felt-nine-trail-mtb-—-400.3806/

I got fed up with the endless "upgraditis" of the MTB world a few years back. I bought a used On One Summer Season frame. It is a steel hardtail with a slack head angle. I set it up as a single speed and have never looked back. Love the way it rides and the simplicity.
I think the only way to get a inexpensive, but good bike, is to follow this idea.... buy a frame and all components that are at least a year or two "out of date"... all major online retailers do this. The frame can be found this way also, or buy used.

Thanks for the response @richard310. I figured this was going to be what happened with such a tight budget, but thought I would ask the interwebs anyway. The main issue is the bike market here in Austin. For example, a Trek 6000 from 2008, I think (worth probably 150 bucks according to bicyclebluebook.com) is being sold for right around 500. Those types of shenanigans are normal in bike sales here. I'm watching the CList like a hawk though. I know someone has a good bike and will accidentally post it for its actual value lol.

Wow an 8 year old bike for that much? Yikes. Like @jscusmcvet suggested maybe even piecing out your bike separately. Most shops will clearance out yearly stock to make room for new stock. If you're handy and know how to build a bike, I'd suggest considering that. It can get pricey to a point but you can follow the buy once, cry once strategy. Upgrading an entry level bike can be limiting with low budget frames. Sometimes not even worth doing to some extent as they are budget for a reason. Parts become hard to find or become extremely limiting if they are proprietary to the frame.

Checkout JensonUSA.com, pricepoint.com, and nashbar.con for good deals, whether assembled bikes, or just frames and parts.

I think I may be leaning toward the suggestion @jsusmcvet made. I was hoping not to do a complete bike build. It wouldn't be the first time I built a bike from the ground up but with the new little one, I am afraid I will get the parts and they sit in their boxes if I just can't find the time. But like you said, if I try to buy a complete bike in that price range, I'm going to be getting entry level components on an entry level frame. Maybe better to spend that cash on the frame and find some parts that will get me through a season or two until I can afford the better components.

Here's a question. How do you guys feel about Jamis. The frames are made by Kinesis, I think. Not a real popular brand but if they are of reasonable quality I think I can get my hands on one for real cheap. That might tie me over for a year or two.

I liked Jamis. Almost built a dirt jumper with one if their dual suspension frames. Haven't been keeping up with the industry much but I'm sure it's been the same. Definitely one to consider.

Here's a question. How do you guys feel about Jamis. The frames are made by Kinesis, I think. Not a real popular brand but if they are of reasonable quality I think I can get my hands on one for real cheap. That might tie me over for a year or two.
I have a buddy who bought Jamis for his first full suspension bike. It did the job fine and he is a burly guy who rides hard. He eventually upgraded and is a specialized guy now. Jamis frame did fine but low end components did not hold up well. He rode it nearly daily though.

I got fed up with the endless "upgraditis" of the MTB world a few years back. I bought a used On One Summer Season frame. It is a steel hardtail with a slack head angle. I set it up as a single speed and have never looked back. Love the way it rides and the simplicity.
I think the only way to get a inexpensive, but good bike, is to follow this idea.... buy a frame and all components that are at least a year or two "out of date"... all major online retailers do this. The frame can be found this way also, or buy used.
With Joe's recent interest in biking, I feel the spark a bit myself. I went ahead and changed the On One to a 1x9 and have been doing some mild riding, mostly dirt roads and some easy singletrack. I am considering finding a decent full suspension frame and switching components over... and then also upgrading Joe from his 20" trek kids bike to a 24" geared bike with front suspension... hmmm

What recommendations would you have for a bike that is light weight, HT, 29er for around 500 bucks used? I'm really looking for a good frame. Components can be upgraded later.

Have you checked Pinkbike classifieds?

I used to have a Spot 29er HT. Steel frame, single speed but tons of fun. Depending on what you're looking to ride you could get away with an SS. I rode it for a couple of years after moving to CO before I picked up a Yeti.

I think that going full suspension, while neat (and fun) really limits choices in the used bike market.

On a tight budget I'd be looking at hardtails. I'd rather score a nice hardtail with decent components than take someones clapped out full suspension with entry level components.

Trek and Specialized are what I'd be searching :coffee

Have you checked Pinkbike classifieds?

I used to have a Spot 29er HT. Steel frame, single speed but tons of fun. Depending on what you're looking to ride you could get away with an SS. I rode it for a couple of years after moving to CO before I picked up a Yeti.
Thanks for the reminder about pinkbike. I have been generally off the bike for a few years and had forgotten. Going to start a new thread in a minute to lay out some ideas and seek continued thoughts on this.

John

Back
Top Bottom