My Bikes

Doug

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
I started mountain biking last year with a 2011 Focus Black Forest expert hard tail.
bi262a01.jpg

I just got into road biking and picked up a 2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
954450_194102887408020_368730551_n.jpg

I haven't modified the MTB at all but I've added Mavic Ksyrium tubeless aluminum blade style wheels. I'm working on endurance and weight loss right now, preparing for a century ride this fall and a sprint triathlon in late September.

Very nice! Which components are you running on the Specialized? A century ride is definitely something to prepare for and it sounds like you're well on your way. Good luck!

I'm an avid cyclist as well and own a 2005 Ellsworth Truth full-suspension mountain bike and a 2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon road bike. I'll have to post up some photos up separately.

The Specialized has all Shimano Ultegra components. I love that bike. It's so comfortable to ride and the tubeless wheels/tires are so convenient. After doing the 50 mile version of the Tour de Big Bear, I started running for the first time in over 20 years. I hit my goal time last weekend in the Tri and now I'm back on the bike full time training for a metric century in two weeks. Fifty miles today was tough to finish but I got through and I'm feeling good about the 62 on the 19th. The poor mountain bike mostly sits in the shed these days.

The Specialized has all Shimano Ultegra components. I love that bike. It's so comfortable to ride and the tubeless wheels/tires are so convenient. After doing the 50 mile version of the Tour de Big Bear, I started running for the first time in over 20 years. I hit my goal time last weekend in the Tri and now I'm back on the bike full time training for a metric century in two weeks. Fifty miles today was tough to finish but I got through and I'm feeling good about the 62 on the 19th. The poor mountain bike mostly sits in the shed these days.

The Ultegra components are good quality and easy to maintain. Sounds like you're definitely headed in the right direction and I look forward to hearing more about your progress. Good luck and ride safe. You'll find, if you haven't already, that once you've gotten into a "groove" with these rides and the training associated with them that it becomes a part of your regular routine which is a good thing. :)

Cheers!

Bringing this one back from the dead!
Here's a few in my stable
'04 Specialized S-Works Enduro. XT build kit with Avid BB7 mech brakes, Fox 140 Van rlc fork and Fox Float RP 23 Kashima shock

And my baby
'11 Santa Cruz Nomad with full '12 XT black trail kit (incl wheel), 2x10 (added since pic was taken), Crank Bros Iodine cockpit and Joplin 4 dropper, Fox TALAS 180 RC2 Kashima fork, Fox DHX Air shock

I also have some other fun stuff
My favorite BMXr of all time
DC colab edition 2nd gen SE PK Ripper 20"

24" DC colab edition SE Quadangle and my boy's Strider bike

And my boy's new pride and joy.
'13 Cult Juvenile 12" BMX

The wife also has an '08 Specialized Stumpy that I don't have a pic of for some reason : /

Thanks! Mine's a 26'r but a buddy of mine just bought the brand new carbon 27.5'r with the ENVE carbon wheel set and it is awesome! Guess I need a new one now : /

Thanks! Mine's a 26'r but a buddy of mine just bought the brand new carbon 27.5'r with the ENVE carbon wheel set and it is awesome! Guess I need a new one now : /

It's a beaut no doubt. I hear the 27.5'r is becoming the best all-around option and I'm curious to hop onto one. I've got a 26'r Ellsworth Truth and it's been fantastic; however, I've never been on a larger wheelset. Any opinions on going big?

I've ridden a couple of the earlier model 29'rs and I felt like I was trying to get a dump truck around switch backs. I have some friends with the latest tech and they say it is night and day but haven't ridden a really nice one yet.
Haven't ridden the 27.5 yet but all accounts say it's the best of both worlds. Better handling than the 29'r since the chain stays are a bit shorter plus the added roll over ability of the bigger hoops without as much weight penalty. I really wanna ride one. Can't wait for Interbike to roll into town so I can check a couple out at the demo

Yep, I've read a lot suggesting the 27.5'r is truly the best of both worlds. I've never given a 29'r a try, mostly because of the reasons you noted. Sure, they have a much larger footprint etc etc but they're extremely difficult in singletrack (from what I've read) and the added weight is a consideration as well.

Definitely looking forward to Interbike as well. If you're going, it'd be cool to meet up in person while there. Cheers!

I'll be at interbike but it's really how tall you are. If your small the 27.2 or 650 are great but I'm 5'8" and like the 29 better depending on the bike.

For anyone who's gonna be here in town for Interbike and want's to get in a trail ride or just a meet n greet shoot me a pm with contact info and we'll try to hook up.

Yep, I've read a lot suggesting the 27.5'r is truly the best of both worlds. I've never given a 29'r a try, mostly because of the reasons you noted. Sure, they have a much larger footprint etc etc but they're extremely difficult in singletrack (from what I've read) and the added weight is a consideration as well.

Definitely looking forward to Interbike as well. If you're going, it'd be cool to meet up in person while there. Cheers!

If you get the chance try the Salsa Spearfish. I have one that is 25 lbs with pedals and spare tube. It really does great on single track and climbs almost to easy. I do have my issues with the 1/11 and do think the 2/10 is the way to go.

Not sure if Q will have them at the show.

I'll be at the show all week so let me know when you get to town and we'll grab a beer. I'm free to ride on the Saturday before show and probably friday am

Hi - first post here so I thought I'd start with something I know.

First, I have no agenda. I'm just trying to dispel this myth I hear repeated all of the time. Second, I'm 6'2" so a 29" is more proportional to my height. I came from the "26 for life" club and a downhill background so switching to bigger wheels took a while for me.

I hear a version of this statement in bold from people I run into on the trail all the time. It usually come from (1) that's what someone else said, (2) they tried an older 29, (3) they took only one ride on a 29er, or (4) they are on the smaller side and just didn't feel comfortable with the size.

(1) can't help with this one
(2) True, older 29ers were crap unless you like fire roads. New trail bikes with good geometry are SOOOOO much better.
(3) This one drives me nuts. I know people that have ridden 26 for decades and try 29 one time and decide they don't like it. This is riduclous. You are so used to 26 that you don't have to think about turning - it just happens. They then get on a 29 and expect it to turn the same. It won't. It's different. It only takes a slight adjustment, but it takes a good 20-30+ rides for it to become automatic. When it does, you will be amazed at how easy it is to turn and how QUICKER you can turn in MOST situations.
(4) valid point.

Everybody is different of course, but those are my thoughts. I have done extensive testing on the same bike with different wheel sizes and I'm faster on all segements on a 29er. There are only a few small places where I find a 26 faster. I understand speed isn't the determining factor for everyone but it puts a smile on my face.

I ran into a guy on the trail last weekend and he asked my why I chose a 29. My answer was it's faster, more fun, and it turns better than a 26. He kinda laughed so I passed him on the next tight turn and proceeded to drop him through a real tight singletrack section. Needless to say, he was a little surprised.

650b or 27.5 (it's really 27.19 if you're counting) is definitely better than 26 (26 is dead) but it is not the best of both worlds for a lot of people.

Sorry for the long rant.

My own little MTB.

Second model Specialized Stumpjumper (First production Mountain Bike) 1981 Model I believe
Only change/upgrade is to the Brooks saddle.
IMG_20110620_161151.jpg

Back
Top Bottom