Muninn, son of Fafhrd...An FJC Tale of Adventure

Got those sliders mounted over the weekend with Cameron's help. Ran a tap through the factory mounting holes to clear the rust, dirt and undercoat from the threads which helped make this a simple job.

IMG_6686.JPG
IMG_6685.JPG
IMG_6687.JPG

Not bad for $200. The LineX is a bit shiny though, PA winter crud will take care of that though.

Update time I guess....

Shortly after mounting the sliders it was time to head south to join up with the crew to get the 2018 Appalachian Rendezvous underway. Since it was just me going this time I kept gear to a minimum other than what extra stuff I would need for potluck cooking.
B7B3EB86-E802-4A8B-819E-019431B80F3B.jpeg

Tossed in my War Bonnet hammock and it’s sundry stuff to sleep in, a shower enclosure for some clothes changing privacy and my paddling gear. Fridge, food box, water can and camp goods round out the rest of the load out. I wouldn’t use half of it as it turned out

As the river was swollen from all the rains this year and the lake float was on the agenda I decided to utilize my comfortable boat, the Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. Tossed it up on a set of Yakima bars and cinched it down. Turned out it wouldn’t get taken off the rack until I got back home once again. Well, at least it looked “adventurous” while I was driving around ;).
09A45B0B-189D-46D9-93F4-779032D05752.jpeg

CF5828EE-E531-4707-A8D4-9700CD145ECC.jpeg

ARV 18 was wet, chilly and muddy but I was there mostly to see absent friends so it was a good time to reconnect and meet some new folks.

Back home once again and thrust into the swirl of obligations, Fall flew by. At times we’d sneak away for a drive and hike or try and get some hunting in under the amber hues...
251CEF82-A6D3-4140-9C35-C464F7F3B565.jpeg
58F824E0-FD01-4B08-925F-22507C9CECE2.jpeg

On came deer season and I switched steeds and started driving the Tacoma as the FJ doesn’t make for a good meat wagon. Michele sort of co-oped the FJ and I just got it back full time again.

Which brings to now where I’m at a quandary. There’s things I would like to do, modify, or upgrade on Munnin but....I’m not sure where we are going vehicular wise. The FJ was bought as a stop gap ride and not as a long term rig. But we waffle on which direction to go as far as our future fleet will be made up of. Keep what we got in two paid off vehicles, keep both the truck and FJ and supplement with a gas stingy AWD crossover, or trade the FJ in on something new but too expensive. So until a plan coalesces I’m not going to invest anymore funds...

Though a BMC doesn’t cost anything and it be nice to replace those crappy Falken Wildpeaks with something better in 285 flavor.

Great to meet you at ARV.
....I’m not sure where we are going vehicular wise. The FJ was bought as a stop gap ride and not as a long term rig. But we waffle on which direction to go as far as our future fleet will be made up of..
Sounds like you copy/pasted Toyota's buisness plans for their offroad capable segment. :eek:

I ain’t happy.

I don’t know which has cost me more money...rust or kids. No matter how well you take care of ‘em the end up costing you in the end. This time the silver FJ (the one Cam has been driving) after 170,000 miles of road travel started getting the raw end of the rust onslaught from our 5 month winters. The body and frame were good but all the hard lines were getting crusty and every time I had to do simple upkeep maintenance I ended up having to replace one damn line/fitting or another. The future was clear and it wasn’t going to be cheap. Time to let it go and get the most value from it. Great, Michelle and I discussed our options and decided to trade it in on a capable gas sipping soft-roader for tripping in. Might as well buy new as we had available cash for the purchase and Michelle got to chose what she wanted. Looked at RAV4s, CX5s, a slightly used 4Runner ( I have no idea why but she wanted to look at one) and a JL 2 door (meh). Next thing I knew we drove home with this...
3DB82E08-A574-469A-B0CD-9CF286265D51.jpeg

That’s great...ummm...what’s Cam going to drive...WTF...my FJ! Now the FJ isn’t the perfect vehicle for me but I like it and got a lot of personal money vested in it, what the hell do I drive? Well, Michelle’s Tacoma...
B9414020-50B5-4609-97A2-F6F098D0DF3E.jpeg

[Heavy Sigh]. It’s a nice truck but it’s Michelle’s and not set up how I would want a truck, insert spoiled child moping here. But since I gave up my Tundra Fafhrd and now with giving up my kitted out FJ as a reward I get to kit the Mouse out to my vision so there’s that.

In the end it’s a win for everyone I guess Michelle gets a brand spanking new capable winter and road trip bomber, Cameron gets a clean, low mileage and well kitted out FJ and I get a freer hand to ship fit a pretty decent truck.

Time for a mini version of Fafhrd...

Just re-read your truck thread. Going to do something similar. Right now I’m leaning towards the full OME suspension kit, White Knuckle Sliders and an AllPro aluminum bumper with the full hoops in that order.

Back
Top Bottom