Mortero Palms to Goat Canyon Trestle Hike: November 22nd, 2014

John - quick overnighter would be fun. Starting at the crack of dawn would may it more difficult to make from the OC. My knees are up for this!!!

OK, got clearance for this one. Getting excited!

Two questions for those who've done this:

1) Would my basically street-oriented Subaru WRX get to the trailhead, or should I plan on bringing the van? Van isn't a problem to bring, but if the Subaru would make it, seems silly to bring the big rig.

EDIT: Additional research tells me it'll be a heckuva lot easier in the van. Subaru probably doesn't have the clearance for a couple sections...
EDIT2: Referenced sources: http://www.stowell.org/trestle2000/drivingdirections.htm
http://lastadventurer.com/last-adve...3/22/mortero-palms-to-the-goat-canyon-trestle

2) Is this terrain suitable for trail shoes or will I really need boots? I've been running so light lately that I've been hiking solely in my nice lightweight shoes. I have a pair of heavy Lowa boots for backpacking but they're total overkill unless I've got 50+ lbs on my back. Maybe I need to source a light boot...

Last edited:
This looks like its going to be fun! I want to go! Are any of you bringing your wife/gf? @Mitch, do you think Apryl would go? Could we bribe her?

For those coming from a little farther away, we don't have to start too early. 7-8AM? Boots or running shoes will work. I've used both on this hike. Boots provide better support and protection (lots of cholla) and shoes are more flexible and breath better.

The road in definitely requires 4WD. I usually ride along with Steve out there, but if he doesn't want to stay overnight I'll take the Jeep.

If someone could kidnap me, I'm in! I've been wanting to do this for a LOOONG time.

Anyone got a trail bike I can borrow to follow Bob in? We'll make sure to carry spare water and beer!

Anyone got a trail bike I can borrow to follow Bob in? We'll make sure to carry spare water and beer!

Negatron. You and Bob both need to walk like everyone else here Bub...:hiker

My right knee is ailing me at the moment, and I have Charger's tickets for the Ram's game with my son and daughter-in-law that weekend, and I can come up with a few other excuses if needed.

Mitch, the Honda is licensed and insured. I've cruised it around Santee a time or two, still has driveability issues. If you have any knowledge on tuning them, have at it and borrow it when needed!

<so off topic that it's almost stupid>

Currently sitting here with a tens unit on. I'll stick with the trail bike! :)

One week to go!

I've been jogging around the block or hiking up our local mountains every day after work this week in preparation for the hike.

IMG_20141111_150732_zpszdeds1vr.jpg

Looking forward to getting out there again! :tumbleweed

Glad to see a group getting put together for this. It's an awesome hike!

Updated first post:

Date: 11-22-2014
Meeting Time: 7:30AM
Meeting Location: Mortero Palms trail head. (32.720187, -116.146669) At a sign for Mortero Wash, turn south off Highway S2 about 0.2 miles west of mile post 56. This point is 8 miles northwest of Ocotillo at Interstate 8. You'll travel up the wash and eventually cross over the railroad tracks at the Dos Cabezas water tower.

Glad to see a group getting put together for this. It's an awesome hike!

It would be even more awesome if my unit did not decide to have the Marine Corps ball in Vegas that weekend... I'd rather hike but it's a major party foul if I don't go to the ball...

Bummed but looking forward to pics!

It would be even more awesome if my unit did not decide to have the Marine Corps ball in Vegas that weekend... I'd rather hike but it's a major party foul if I don't go to the ball...

Sorry to hear that, Dave. You'll just have to live vicariously through our pics! There's always next time. :backpacker

Your USMC Infantry Regiment is having a Marine Corps Ball in Las Vegas, Nevada... :eek:

Oh, I bet we'll see plenty of pictures from that event... hmmm... Operational Risk Management -- not applied by that S-3 shop. :lol

Back
Top Bottom