Monthly Meet N Greet - 08/27/17 at Santiago Peak, Cleveland National Forest, CA

richard310

Adventurist
Author
So this month's Meet-N-Greet will be a little different than normal. We'll be meeting at Santiago Peak in Cleveland National forest for lunch.

Bring your own lunch
, and please pack out your trash. I will have my trasharoo so please do not hesitate to dump your trash in it.

Date
: Sunday, 27 August 2017

Time: 1130hrs

Address: Santiago Peak, Orange County, CA

--------------------------------------

1130 : reach Santiago Peak

- relax, have lunch, and hangout for a few

1330 - 1400 : pack up and head home

--------------------------------------

Google Maps is your friend. Everything is plotted and marked so if you plan on meeting up at the peak, go ahead at your own risk. Conditions should be pretty clear but please plan accordingly.

There are three ways in from my knowledge, and the road openings stated from the Cleveland National Forest road condition site.

- Maple Springs Truck Trail via Silverado/Irvine area
- Indian Truck Trail via the I-15 near Temescal Valley
- Main divide truck trail via Long Canyon Road down off Ortega Highway

These should be a pretty tame trails, but I haven't been up in a long time so I don't know its current conditons. According to Cleveland National Forest Road Conditions, it is confirmed open.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229

As always, this will be a family friendly event. No speeding or reckless driving. And please, no littering or off-trail driving. Tread Lightly rules always apply.

Comms: Simplex 146.535

So, who's in?

1. richard310
2. Andy
3. Brentbba
4. jismay
5. Luke

Maybe:
1. RoamingRobertsons
2. Blkwgn
3. Sfsmedic
4. CAWoody

Last edited:
Are you limiting the number of rigs? I'm interested but we're going on a 9-10 day trip to see the eclipse. We'll be back that weekend but I'm not sure when exactly. If I'm not taking a spot someone else could use, put me down as a maybe.

adding this to the calendar, but I am not sure if I will actually make it

Put me down. Should be fun. As time comes closer, anyone wanting to meet to go up the Silverado Canyon entrance, post up.

Are you limiting the number of rigs? I'm interested but we're going on a 9-10 day trip to see the eclipse. We'll be back that weekend but I'm not sure when exactly. If I'm not taking a spot someone else could use, put me down as a maybe.

There's no limit at the moment, but considering the limited space on the mountain top, we'll be spread out if theres a ton of rigs.

BTW - took a quick look at the Nat'l Forest road map. Looks like Harding Truck Trail that starts at the end of Mojeska Canyon is closed in sections getting to Santiago Peak. I think that's the route I'd taken last time I was up there.

BTW - took a quick look at the Nat'l Forest road map. Looks like Harding Truck Trail that starts at the end of Mojeska Canyon is closed in sections getting to Santiago Peak. I think that's the route I'd taken last time I was up there.

Some of the entrances are limited closures, meaning mtn bikes and hikers only. A shame but at least it's not a full closure. Indian, Maple, and South Divide are typically open though.

Some of the entrances are limited closures, meaning mtn bikes and hikers only. A shame but at least it's not a full closure. Indian, Maple, and South Divide are typically open though.

Yep - that's what map said - hikers and bikers only.

By the way, I was up there about a month ago and headed in Indian Truck Trail via I-15 and made it to the top no problem. I planned on going out Main Divide to the 74/Ortega Hwy, and about 1/2 mile from the hwy the road was closed both ways due to repaving. It may be reopened by now, but im not sure. Had to turn around and go back out the other way.

By the way, I was up there about a month ago and headed in Indian Truck Trail via I-15 and made it to the top no problem. I planned on going out Main Divide to the 74/Ortega Hwy, and about 1/2 mile from the hwy the road was closed both ways due to repaving. It may be reopened by now, but im not sure. Had to turn around and go back out the other way.

Well that's more dirt then.

Thanks for the update Luke.

I won't make it, I tore down the truck to do brake pads past night and have a damaged rotor, replacement won't be in until Tuesday

Richard,

Looks like I'm in either way. Might be solo on the bike, might be /w Michele in her Jeep, but should be there either way.

Back
Top Bottom