Mojave Rd. mailbox

I’ve asked Congressman Cook’s office what is actually planned, if anything. It‘s in his district and his field office is in my building. We have a good relationship so I’m sure they’ll look into it and let me know.

Nice

The maps show the wilderness boundary on either side of the Mojave road. What is unclear is how far off the road does the "wilderness" begin. I would imagine that road corridors through wilderness areas would have to be at least 200' wide to allow for some road realignment do to washouts and other issues that would require movement of the road path. If so, then these "gardens" would be outside the wilderness area.

Cam

I run a annual winter trip through there each year. Since we generally have more than 7 vehicles a permit from the NPS is required. I just took another look at my permit for clarification and it states: (Witholding all the section #'s) 30' to either side of unmaintained roads. 100' to either side of the centerline of all maintained roads, "Kelbaker, Cedar Canyone Rd, Black Canyone Rd. The Mojave Rd from what I understand is not maintained so the 30' should apply.

That being said, after reading the entire permit regulations (There are 51 on the permit) it says nothing about leaving any items at the "Mailbox" or the "Penny can" It does state all trash, waste, waste water etc must be packed out. I can see how some may see the frogs, gnomes and trucks might be considered garbage but I really don't. It's one of those quirky things you see that has developed over time in the desert. I have never seen trash or other debris blowing around at the Mailbox.

Our group often has done a little maintenance there like repairing the flag pole Old Glory flys from etc as needed. In the end, I think they will probably take everything away other than the mailbox. People will continue to come by and leave more frogs and the like only to be swept up wash rinse repeat. I'm just a little saddened that something that kids and adults really like to stop and see probably won't be able to do so in the future. I guess for many of us it's just more government over reach because afterall they really do know what's best for us all,..,...,......,..........

In the end, I think they will probably take everything away other than the mailbox. People will continue to come by and leave more frogs and the like only to be swept up wash rinse repeat. I'm just a little saddened that something that kids and adults really like to stop and see probably won't be able to do so in the future. I guess for many of us it's just more government over reach because afterall they really do know what's best for us all,..,...,......,..........

Yup. I too predict civil disobedience here. Because we all know they can remove it all, and it will grow right back.

Just like Teakettle Junction.

this morning I was reading a article 2020 Gear Guide Issue of Overland Journal called "The East Mojave Hearitage Trail", wow! what a article & well written made me feel like I was with or following the individual in the article. The article was of 6 pages with plenty of pictures it talked about the 4 mail boxes their purpose & their locations a long with the different terrain to get to them. The article mention some one erected a 4th EMHT mail box in a new location how it was removed from it's original location put into a new location out side of BLM wilderness area. It also talked about how EMHT was created by Dennis Casebier in the 1980's. It talked about the preparation needed for the journey "a daunting 724 miles" that the individual gone thru with 100 miles of rerouting detours, the vehicle problems he had & how he suggested that no single vehicle should attempt the journey alone. I thought it was a good article.

Last edited:
This is the "standard" for the Dusy Ershim Trail, which also goes through a wilderness area...

Note: John Muir and Dinkey Wilderness boundaries begin on each side of the Dusy-Ershim OHV Route, which is 300 feet from the center line of the route, or 600 feet wide or as posted by signs. Wilderness permits are required for overnight camping in wilderness areas. No vehicles are allowed in the wilderness areas.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5344059.pdf

Edit: Somehow missed the previous post describing the road/centerline boundary for the Mojave Rd

Last edited:
Not all of the Mojave National Preserve is labeled wilderness area. Below is a map that shows the wilderness areas and the Mojave Rd. The mailbox is north of the first major bend in Kelbaker Rd. where the road goes through the area labeled Marl Mountains. It’s at the NW corner of the Marl Mountains if you look at it on a topo.

https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/upload/MOJAmapWild.pdf

Congressman Cook’s office has a call in to the Acting Superintendent for the Preserve to see what’s actually planned with regard to the mailbox and surrounding fun stop monuments.

FWIW The "Penny Can" is on private property (as far as my gis data review shows).

I can't be sure. The map I have shows that area all preserve. I'm not so much concerned about the penny can or some of the other sites as I am government over reach. Many of the rules and regulations are fine as they are common sense based. For people that don't have common sense because it ain't too common these days they have to enact rules. Once it gets to that point those rules only seem to really effect those of us who would do the right thing in the first place. Sort of like in the military with the Good Idea Fairy that loves to dole out mass punishment.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting that. I suspected they were going to remove the frogs, gnomes and vehicles and not the mailbox. It's interesting to me that it's been moved to February. It also sounds like this was started from the Mojave Desert Association. I'm a little disturbed that it seems like they are the ones who initiated this. I wish they would concentrate their efforts in other areas. I'm sure they do a lot of maintenance and preservation work as needed but it's not a popular decision. I'll be out there in a few days so I can do a follow up if anything has changed. In the end, it's not a huge deal but I wish they would just leave it alone because it a fun stop especially for the kids that in reality isn't hurting anything.

Thank you for posting that. I suspected they were going to remove the frogs, gnomes and vehicles and not the mailbox. It's interesting to me that it's been moved to February. It also sounds like this was started from the Mojave Desert Association. I'm a little disturbed that it seems like they are the ones who initiated this. I wish they would concentrate their efforts in other areas. I'm sure they do a lot of maintenance and preservation work as needed but it's not a popular decision. I'll be out there in a few days so I can do a follow up if anything has changed. In the end, it's not a huge deal but I wish they would just leave it alone because it a fun stop especially for the kids that in reality isn't hurting anything.

Agreed. Thanks for the update, interested to know what you find out.

This is just a play to make their museum more interesting - it makes me sick. Is Dennis still alive? He would hate this. I would be willing to go out there before February and move the displays close to the road so that they are out of the "wilderness area". Is anyone in?

Those displays have always been a cherished part of my family's and friend's experience on the Mojave Road for a very long time. All fun is being outlawed by people who know what's best for you. The Traveler's Monument is next.

Cam

Came back from the Mojave Rd. a couple days ago. Unfortunately I had to make a detour which went around the Mailbox so I can't say what is going on there at the moment. The rest of the trip was really nice still with scattered snow at the higher elevations. It was a little windy out there but for the high desert it wasn't too bad. Completely circumvented Soda Lake as it's a quagmire. Didn't encounter many other people other than our group at all so that was really nice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom