Making American Adventurist Better: An Ongoing Discussion

I'd like to see the Vendor Marketplace moved to the top of the forum instead of the bottom. The vendors work hard to not only promote and grow the community of adventurers but also AAV itself. Having that section at the bottom of the forum causes it to be overlooked since so many of us are more focused on the items at the top of the board. Just my $.02 worth.

The raison d'être for American Adventurist is the COMMUNITY. The Bonfire, the Trip Reports and Planning, the Research areas for gear and vehicles are the main attraction. Every big board I'm on has the Vendor section right where we have it - OUR members know who our sponsors are (they know most of you too!) and they know how to go to the right section for what they need.

In my humble opinion, moving the Vendor section to the TOP of the forum sends the wrong message. Community i.e. the Members, come first here at American Adventurist.

And quite honestly, our Vendors with sections there really aren't posting that much - why would we put the less active Forums at the top?

Frank, I always hit "New Posts" and take it from there. I never browse through the topics on the forum main page. If any of the vendors post something new, I see it in new posts and click on it if I am interested.

Cam

Yep, I use new post function all the time.. make surfing so much more streamlined for me!

This is how I view the Forum as well. It's a great feature that gives a "news feed" view to what happened today.

Even with all my "powers" as Forum Founder, that's how I found this discussion ;)

New posts. A fairly typical feature found on most forums saving lots of time and giving you a global view of what's recently been posted since since you last visit.

I NEVER go to the vendors marketplace. So Frank, if you have something to advertise I recommend just post it... your chances of it being viewed are just as likely if the title catches the readers interest.

Another easy surfer, though I only log in when I want to post, or look at one of thje subforums that doesnt show when not logged in. Usually just come buy and hit "whats new", which is similar to "new posts".

The forum's format is very easy to navigate as compared to several other forums I use to participate in. Because i'm new here, I wouldn't change a things and chances are IF I find something not so pleasant I will let you know within the help section. However, I'm at a loss for where to place images If I wanted to attach or post redirected images to an off site. Just need to know what off site image storage server does the forum recommend.

The forum's format is very easy to navigate as compared to several other forums I use to participate in. Because i'm new here, I wouldn't change a things and chances are IF I find something not so pleasant I will let you know within the help section. However, I'm at a loss for where to place images If I wanted to attach or post redirected images to an off site. Just need to know what off site image storage server does the forum recommend.
Like I've mentioned previously, I'm a Luddite, so don't count on me to provide you an accurate solution.

I drag or cut and paste images from one site or file to the open reply window and then a miracle happens.

If I want to redirect to another location I either insert the link directly in the post via "normal" cut & paste options (like I recently did on your map software post), or I use the little "infinity" doo-hickie tabs on the button bar of the reply window.

Hope that helps...

Agreed, But according to some of those other sites, photo storage sites like photobucket are now charging for image storage etc. My issue is once a site has been located which I can link images, for some odd reason that site folds or the images disappear form the post later on. I guess I'm asking, what image storage site would be best suited for the display of secure images here without using you bandwidth. But then again, One doesn't have to post images to get their point across.

I've never been one to use an image hosting site... (which I'm now thankful for.) I just do the old fashioned upload function. I HIGHLY recommend that.... just my .02
-MSgt Caveman... (not Capt.)

Agreed, But according to some of those other sites, photo storage sites like photobucket are now charging for image storage etc. My issue is once a site has been located which I can link images, for some odd reason that site folds or the images disappear form the post later on. I guess I'm asking, what image storage site would be best suited for the display of secure images here without using you bandwidth. But then again, One doesn't have to post images to get their point across.
I don't use image hosting sites... no need to with cloud hosting. But I'm not that sharp.

If you use (and are willing) to use Facebook, Instagram, or Google Photos, you can host from all 3 using their CDN with a little basic no how, but you'll need to do it from your computer. Doesn't work well from mobile. And you just need your profiles/sharing to be set to public. I actually host most of my images off our facebook page.

Facebook is the easiest, since you only need to right click, and view image in new tab. Google Photos works similarly.

demo-fb.gif

Instagram is rather simple once you learn to do it, but you're just going to right click in chrome, and inspect element. Make sure you have developer tools enabled, this will bring up a screen to let you view the code, then you're just going to snag the URL to the image.

On IG for example, it's going to look like this

https://scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagra...592_227774331093221_9128857660848865280_n.jpg

dev-tools-idea.jpg

Interesting little tid-bit, since FB bought instagram awhile back, their images come off the same CDN. And they can be displayed anywhere.

I either host here, on my personal server, or on Imgur.com. I really like the Imgur interface and if I could I would copy it to use on my own service just to speed up the process. What makes their interface nice is it will give you the BBC code (for forums like this) and option to post the full res version, a thumbnail, or a linked thumbnail.

Another option that is rather cheap is Amazon S3, although a little more technical. I've been using that for my blogs and pay like 80 cents a month.

The members here break down into the usual groups of interest. Like they do everywhere else.

Some just love to work on vehicles. Many rarely go out camping because their joy is in the garage. While not that type at all. I sure do learn a lot from them. Very happy they have the loot and desire to build vehicle after vehicle.

Some travel seemingly all the time to everywhere. Gotta work so I read their reports and learn from them and then head out on my weekend/long weekend runaways to the Mojave desert. Very happy they have the loot to travel everywhere.

Then there are the rest. Pretty stock vehicle, out on weekends when they can get away. Just enjoying themselves. I learn from them too. Really wish we had the loot and time to go more often.

SUGGESTION: Be nice if there was a place on the forum to hook up with other campers, mechanical types, overlanders etc. in your area. Make for a lot more adventures, community, friendships, stories and fun.

When I first joined here I went to a meet n greet in Simi Valley. When I pulled into the parking lot. Of course the group was easy to spot with their rigs. Really made me feel welcome when one of that group saw me in my jeep and waived me over. Felt even better when I parked and the group after a few "Nice jeep" type comments just included me in the conversation like I'd been there all day. Nice people around here.

Back
Top Bottom