Low Cost Survival Training Southern California

Quatermain

Adventurist
Founding Member
I haven't tried these classes yet, but they come well recommended by a friend who was a USMC infantry officer and generally knows his stuff. I like the way that many of them are brief and inexpensive, seems like they are genuinely trying to teach you something instead of selling you a $200 knife or something like that. http://www.christophernyerges.com/schedule.htm
FireMaking.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I agree, I think it's neat how they break it down into bite-sized blocks of instruction and reasonably priced too.

Anyone who has attended these Sessions? We'd enjoy hearing your feed-back.

Okay, went today - very interesting class and interesting group of people. Stan Lee was there from the Academy of St. Crispian (firearms training) http://www.stcrispian.com/ , some boy scouts, a Vietnam Vet LRRP, a handful of other primitive survival instructors as well as miscellaneous members of the community. We met in the Angeles National Forest.

The class took the format of a nature walk. As we walked (near Switzer Picnic Area) in the Angeles National Forest, Nyerges stopped to show us various local plants and their uses.

First we wove twine out of yucca. Then we built a shelter as a group. Each student made a hearth for a bow drill out of willow as well as a hand drill or bow drill out of mulefat. I made both.

Each student also made a wire snare.

At the end of the class we ate a wild plant salad and everyone practiced lighting fires using various methods: bow drill, hand drill, flint & steel, steel wool & battery, with magnesium .

Very interesting class.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report... that's very valuable information.

So, overall would you recommend this course to others Quatermain?

Thanks for the link....I will certainly attend some of those training courses with my 10 yr old son.

Yes for sure, if you are in the area. Nyerges definitely knows his stuff, in particular the local plant life.

A funny thing I observed was Nyerges' untacticool choice of tools. Of all the edged tools, the one he used the most was simple pruning shears. He would also use a folding saw from time to time. For one or two heavier tasks he used a Cold Steel Bushman (very affordable large survival knife).

The only caveat I would add is that a course like this is a sort of sampler plate, but true mastery requires experience & practice.

I also learned about some other classes available in the area:

I also found Jim Robinson's aboriginal skills classes in the Santa Monica Mountains. http://aboriginalskills.com/

Lastly I found tracking classes : http://www.earthskills.com/index.html

I personally don't anticipate using these skills in a survival situation (though you never know) but I think that each layer of wilderness education gives you a deeper understanding of and appreciation for you surroundings each time you are out in the wilderness.

Thanks for the report... that's very valuable information.

So, overall would you recommend this course to others Quatermain?

Last edited:
I attended one of Mr Nyerges' classes four years ago mostly about wilderness foraging and fire building. Most of the classes were $20 each at that time. Then I saw him last year on prepper show where experts rate you afterwards. I believe you can make arrangements a group class. I highly recommend it.

The best deal in town is Jim Robertson's Aboriginal Skills. For $25 you get the whole day + an optional camp out.

We recently attended one of Stan Lee's (Academy of St. Crispian) classes where he brought in Chris Nyerges and his wife for the last hour or so for a brief overview on edible plant life in SoCal. They brought in samples of all the edibles they talked about so we could all see and taste them. It was only a brief intro, but it was clear that he knows the topic well and a longer class would be worthwhile.

BTW, Stan's class was a one day seminar on preparing and responding to a SHTF type event, and that was worthwhile as well. I don't think we're going to be overrun by Zombies anytime soon, but, IMO, everyone who lives in urban California should be prepared for what happens when the San Andreas lets loose in a big way. Think Fukushima, hopefully without the nuclear meltdown. Could be ugly.

I don't think we're going to be overrun by Zombies anytime soon, but, IMO, everyone who lives in urban California should be prepared for what happens when the San Andreas lets loose in a big way. Think Fukushima, hopefully without the nuclear meltdown. Could be ugly.

Agreed.

We recently attended one of Stan Lee's (Academy of St. Crispian) classes where he brought in Chris Nyerges and his wife for the last hour or so for a brief overview on edible plant life in SoCal. They brought in samples of all the edibles they talked about so we could all see and taste them. It was only a brief intro, but it was clear that he knows the topic well and a longer class would be worthwhile.

BTW, Stan's class was a one day seminar on preparing and responding to a SHTF type event, and that was worthwhile as well. I don't think we're going to be overrun by Zombies anytime soon, but, IMO, everyone who lives in urban California should be prepared for what happens when the San Andreas lets loose in a big way. Think Fukushima, hopefully without the nuclear meltdown. Could be ugly.

Stan is an excellent instructor and an honorable individual.

I know Chris N., met him decades ago. Been to a couple of his classes and bought some of his books. There is no better expert on southern California survival.

Okay, went today - very interesting class and interesting group of people. Stan Lee was there from the Academy of St. Crispian (firearms training) http://www.stcrispian.com/ , some boy scouts, a Vietnam Vet LRRP, a handful of other primitive survival instructors as well as miscellaneous members of the community. We met in the Angeles National Forest.

The class took the format of a nature walk. As we walked (near Switzer Picnic Area) in the Angeles National Forest, Nyerges stopped to show us various local plants and their uses.

First we wove twine out of yucca. Then we built a shelter as a group. Each student made a hearth for a bow drill out of willow as well as a hand drill or bow drill out of mulefat. I made both.

Each student also made a wire snare.

At the end of the class we ate a wild plant salad and everyone practiced lighting fires using various methods: bow drill, hand drill, flint & steel, steel wool & battery, with magnesium .

Very interesting class.

Hello Quartermain
Im new here. This is first post. I was wondering if you or anyone else knows of any similar classes as you describe that take place during the week?
Thanks in advance, RobBytheBeach

You're resurrecting a 3 year old thread that hasn't had a post in a year, don't count on an answer here.

Welcome to the forum, hit up the intro section with a post...it'll DOUBLE your post count (for what that's worth)!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom