Los Coyotes Indian Reservation: July 4th weekend

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
Looks like we're taking the family to Los Coyotes Indian Reservation for July 4th weekend. We're going to be there the morning of the 1st (Friday), most likely leave the morning of the 4th (Monday).

It's primitive camping, I "should" have access to the trails if anyone wants to do a trail run.

General info:

I hate to pay to camp, this is one of the few places I don't mind coughing it up, $25/night.

LCIR is near Warner Springs, CA. Hwy 79 to Camino San Ignacio, stay on Camino San Ignacio till you get to the gate (which may or may not be manned), if no one is there, continue ahead until you reach the campground. There are NO vehicle requirements to reach the campground.

There are NO services in Warner Springs. Last gas if taking Hwy 76 to reach Hwy 79 is the LaJolla Indian Store on Hwy 76. Last gas coming Hwy 78 to 79 is the Valero in San Ygnacio, intersection of Hwy 78/79. No idea what the last gas coming south on Hwy 79 from Temecula is.

The campground is primitive. There are clean outhouses, and trash dumpsters. At times there is running water from the hose spigots, it is NOT potable. There are no designated camp spots/spaces. Find a place to park and call it good. The campground is at 4000' under old growth oaks, plenty of shade. If you depend on solar you may be chasing the sun all day.

NO FIRES OR FIREWORKS, PERIOD. Propane/charcoal isn't an issue. Propane fire pit is OK. (I used to think propane camp fires were like taking sand to the beach, with all of the fire restrictions lately, they are actually kind of nice.)

No motorcycles or quads.

Dogs are not a problem. Now and again there are strays running around, and my dogs are sure to be off leash, but controlled (mostly).:rolleyes:

There are swings and a slide for the little ones (and sticks and rocks and dirt).

Bugs are not usually a problem, bring bug spray anyway.

Cell phone reception is spotty at best. I do know a spot that has a signal if need be.

The trails are mild to wild. I'm going to have my Jeep Wrangler there, intend to get it dirty.

We got a front wheel drive Honda Element to the lookout last trip. The lookout is the highest point in San Diego County. Maybe a 2 hour round trip.

The rest of the trails are a little tougher. RECOMMEND (not require) 33" tires and at least one traction aid. I've had stock Jeep Wranglers on bald road tires through a few of the trails. If you want to go, I'll take you, depends on how bad you want it. You are virtually guaranteed some new pin stripes, and as always, there is a potential for body damage or other carnage.

I will NOT be held responsible for any damage to a vehicle except mine, that's the driver's responsibility. I will not goad someone into attempting an obstacle they aren't comfortable with. I'll turn around and lead that vehicle back out if I have to. (I include this only because of past experiences with other groups)

I HIGHLY recommend getting your significant other some time behind the wheel off highway. This is the perfect opportunity under a relatively controlled environment. First off, they may discover they like doing it, second, if the primary driver ever becomes unable to drive, for any number of reasons, your significant other will be able to get you out. I'll drive a lot of the easier stuff, let Machelle tackle the obstacles. I figure if she can handle the obstacles, the easier roads will never be a problem if I become disabled. All it takes is one slip/fall to break an ankle, sucks to drive if it's your right ankle, really sucks if you have a manual trans!

We're all adults (technically), the only rule I ever feel is needed on a trail run is "no one gets left behind".

Any other questions, fire away.

Last edited:
Warm, but it shouldn't be too bad. The campground is at 4000', lots of shade under old growth oaks.

"Sometimes" there is running water at the campground, not potable, but good enough to fill a small kiddie pool for the kids. I don't have room for one, but if my son comes and brings his travel trailer we'll probably bring one. The camp area is relatively flat, lots of room for kids to ride bikes/scooters.

Just tried to use the search engine to get links to the other threads. Either I'm stupid, or the search function sucks, wouldn't pull them. I'm going to update the first post with general info.

Warm, but it shouldn't be too bad. The campground is at 4000', lots of shade under old growth oaks.

"Sometimes" there is running water at the campground, not potable, but good enough to fill a small kiddie pool for the kids. I don't have room for one, but if my son comes and brings his travel trailer we'll probably bring one. The camp area is relatively flat, lots of room for kids to ride bikes/scooters.
The weather was perfect last time we were there... Trying to convince the wife to go camp that weekend....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

It'll be a great trip to get your foster kids out. My grandsons (2.5, 6) will be there for sure, granddaughters are a maybe (2,3) and Kelly's boyfriend Chris is bringing his boys (10, 2). We'll have lawn games, bikes, dogs, good food, cold beer, old friends and hopefully some new ones!:cool:

Just tried to use the search engine to get links to the other threads. Either I'm stupid, or the search function sucks, wouldn't pull them. I'm going to update the first post with general info.

The search function failed as a result of getting the site back online, it was not just you, and it should be working now.

Los Coyotes Indian Reservation is one of the best kept secrets in San Diego County - very quiet, very nice there IMHO. Big thanks to @bob91yj for hooking it up last time I was there!

The search function failed as a result of getting the site back online, it was not just you, and it should be working now.

Indeed, search is back online - thanks @Chazz Layne - and there is a great LCIR trip report with photos HERE

I'll check the holiday schedule with the wife.. if we have nothing major going on count at least me and the oldest kid in.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I figured I better call the Los Coyotes Tribal office today to make sure we are good to go...no problems, they will be expecting us. Didn't sound like they had any other groups coming to this point, we may have the place to ourselves!

if we have nothing major going on count at least me and the oldest kid in.

OOOooohhh...SO close to the correct answer!:mad: The CORRECT answer is you DO have something major going on, you're loading the camper on the truck and bringing the WHOLE FAMILY to LCIR!:cool:

You'll still be home in time for fireworks on Monday night, so don't try that lame ass excuse either!

OOOooohhh...SO close to the correct answer!:mad: The CORRECT answer is you DO have something major going on, you're loading the camper on the truck and bringing the WHOLE FAMILY to LCIR!:cool:

You'll still be home in time for fireworks on Monday night, so don't try that lame ass excuse either!

:jump:

I'm tentatively in. Probably solo this time as we will have baby chicks by that time and getting someone to housesit babies get tricky.

Great, now I need to fix something to camp in...

Have fun with the family Raul!

I finally broke down and bought a propane fire pit.

Thought I was gonna make it but I'm stuck working that weekend

Bring it Chris! Doesn't look like we're going to have many on this trip.

Warner Springs is supposed to be in the upper 80's, lows in the mid 60's. Should be a little cooler at the campground as it is at about 4000'. It'll be cooler there than it is at my house regardless!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom