Los coyotes indian reservation april 10-12, 2015

Phulcrum

Adventurist
There is a lot of controversy over wether or not the trails at the reservation are open to "off-road" use. Hopefully this trail report can clear some of it up- as much as it can be.

elripster and mcmattp left the 15 & 76 meeting spot around 2pm and headed to los coyotes via 15n to 79. Myself, Anne, my dad, and Brandon left the 15 & 76 at 330 to head up via the 76. Both groups arrived at the guard shack at exactly the same time. So i guess we now know which way is faster.

The cost to camp is 25$ a night, and includes running clean (non-potable) water, unlimited firewood, and a campsite with a fire ring and a BBQ. Most "sites" have benches too. The campground is set in a oak and pine forest (some of the pines are widowmaker pines). The entire campground was beautiful and shady, almost no sunshine poked through.

About two hours after we arrived, we were greeted by officer Robert. He is without a doubt the friendliest most easy going law enforcement officer i have ever met - and i am related to a couple. I chatted with him about the reservation and mentioned that we had hoped to explore the roads and trails. His response was pretty much " Enjoy". We briefly discussed the different types of crowds that could be drawn to this sort of place, in short the good and the bad. I made it clear we were the former of the two. Robert was so pleased to see [responsible] people visiting the reservation he offered to pick up anything we had forgotten in town!

Saturday morning boby91yj showed up with two other jeeps. boby, and the jeepers were ready to roll before the "other " vehicles were so we agreed to split the run. I should note that my dad and bvandeberg were in jeeps to, but elected to go in the "other " group. maybe they wanted to be with us in case we needed rescuing? As it turns out the jeeps were much faster moving on the trail and the rest of us would have held them up all day. I'll let bobby describe his groups run and trails.

Bobby picked a cool string of trails for us that we followed from about 1-2 hours behind his group. dead cow road, and then dangerous road , then - for us - back to camp. dead cow road had one tight squeeze for annes FJ, because her sliders stick out a little, but other than that is was all view and a little pin stripping.
4-13-15 069.jpg
Top of dead cow road where it meets the main road , i didnt get the epic view in the backdrop but i think someone else did.

Choke Cherry road road took us to dangerous road, which is where the challenges are.
4-13-15 070.jpg
4-13-15 071.jpg
4-13-15 072.jpg

Everyone had a great time picking their way up the obstacles on this trail. I think Jared (from MUD) got some minor carnage on his left rear quarter panel, but that was all the damage done.

We passed the jeep squad at the top of dangerous road - they went back down it- and headed for camp early. Some of us had small kids ( 2 babies) that were trail weary.

Saturday night camp included some good food and and music provided by my brother and Elripster, who both have great guitar and vocal skills.

4-13-15 075.jpg
4-13-15 076.jpg
4-13-15 077.jpg
Wyatt REALLY likes camping.

Sunday morning we half-packed after breakfast and headed up to the look out. we passed some friendly hikers on the way up and we made sure to slow down to mitigate the dust for them . then we passed not so friendly hikers, but i guess you get all kinds out there.

4-13-15 079.jpg
4-13-15 080.jpg
4-13-15 081.jpg
4-13-15 082.jpg
4-13-15 083.jpg
4-13-15 084.jpg
4-13-15 085.jpg
4-13-15 086.jpg
4-13-15 087.jpg
4-13-15 088.jpg
4-13-15 089.jpg
4-13-15 090.jpg

My pics from the look out tower. epic views.

Awesome stress free trip. I think the take-away on the reservations status is that if you go up there and are a respectful, responsible camper the officer on site might allow you to explore the res. if you go up there and are chucking beer cans out your window -expect to lose your rig. the reservation was very clean, I only had to pick up one beer can!

I hope the other participants were better about the photo documentation. Thanks again to all who came out, it was a pleasure.

Tim covered the highlights. The Jeep group followed the same basic route, except we went up to the lookout, we hung out there for a bit then went back down the hill. Tim's group was still on Dangerous Rd, so we went down a little further to Quiet Rd, played a bit at Jeep Squeeze and then headed back to Dangerous Rd.

Cody ended up side walling a tire on the old Toyota truck frame that is buried in the trail. No one else in our group has the same lug pattern, so a second flat could have been a problem. Cody decided to keep going with us. We'd deal with another flat if/when it happened.

After finishing Dangerous Rd we continued on over to Creek Rd. I wasn't sure about the conditions on Hot Dog Hill, so Cody and Joe went around it to El Hill. Danny walked up the left side (Winch Hill) after a couple of attempts. Brett gave El Hill a try, ended up mangling his exhaust pipe. We bent it back into place and decided to call it a day and head back to camp.

The guitar playing and singing around the fire was the perfect end to an AWESOME day. Thanks to all that made it. Looking forward to doing it again soon!

Tim,
Thanks for posting, great pictures, I'm sorry I missed out. Do you think my trailer would have fit/made it through the narrows?
Lets talk before Mormon Lake,
Dale

Great pictures! I see someone in your group has a full size and a FWC camper. How did it fare?

Dave didn't make it this trip in his Dmax/Flip PAC.

I said that I thought it would take 33's and a locker to get through the trails that I was planning on. (Rather safe than sorry on my recommendations). I'll never tell someone that certain equipment is REQUIRED.

Cody in his bone stock 2 door Jeep JK (after market bumpers) proved me wrong on recommendations. I've since discovered that he has some time in HumVee's. They either teach them how to pick a line exceptionally well in the Marines, or he has kick ass natural driving ability as he made short work of all of the obstacles he challenged, and he didn't bypass anything other than Hot Dog Hill, and I think he could have handled it just fine. The back/downhill side has a pretty big drop off that can be challenging.

I'm not sure how many of the trails Glen has run in his F-250/4 Wheel Camper, but he gets around out there a bit too.

When I started building my Dmax/camper I had grand visions of its capability. I wouldn't even consider trying to take it on any of the true trails out there now that it is built.

They are holding me overnight again in the hospital, lunch didn't want to stay down. I get a clear liquid diet and Dilotted (however you spell it, step up from Morphine) for the rest of the night. Stand by for more random comments. A man can only watch so many Deadliest Catch repeats!

I feel your pain literally, been there done that all to much lately. I hope you get to feeling better!

Thanks Dan.

I was hoping for the best for you when you were down...I had no intentions of swapping places with you though!

Here is the skinny...

Here we are leaving the house...

We got camp setup...

Here is our general area...

Garrett immediately found the #1 camping toy for little boys, a stick.

Friday night good food and beverage was had.

Some of our boys not going to sleep when they should be. Oh well it's camping.

Saturday:
Getting breakfast wrapped up at "Kid Camp" which was our corner.

All strapped in and ready to wheel. Daniel wanted to show us that he could wear his hat like his Uncle Nick!

On our way out to the trails we were treated to excellent views!

Once we got to dangerous road things got interesting and definitely more fun! This section gave us a bit of challenge.

Farther up the trail it got more rutted which makes it easy to lift up a wheel!

This makes driver and passengers happy (we are in the brown 60)!

After getting back to camp in the mid afternoon we had time to play and relax. Some took a nap.

Worn out kiddo...

Saturday we ate and drank very well. Matt and I jammed on our guitars around the campfire. That has to be one of my favorite things to do when camping.

Sunday:

We got a headstart on packing and then joined the group on their way up to the lookout tower to take some pictures at the top...

Altogether an amazing trip. My truck did run itself out of brake fluid but that was remedied at camp Saturday evening. There is rarely a dull moment in an old FJ60.

Tim is correct about being respectful to the reservation as well as each other. I was there back in the day to see far to many people tearing the place up, blasting music all night while drunk off their rears pissing off everyone around them, and that is the sort of thing that will get this place closed down again. I hope we as a community can act responsibly. This place is an absolute gem and I would hate to lose it again.

Frank

This just keeps getting worse and worse, I feel the need to get out there. What is the weather like there over the summer

Short of Big Bear, which I am not a fan of, it's about the only place in SoCal to go wheeling in the summer time.

The campground is at 4000' elevation and it is on the western/coastal side of the mountains, so it stays pretty nice in the summer time. I've been up there for the 4th of July several times over the years, don't ever remember it being uncomfortably hot in the camp area. The camp area is almost completely shaded by the old growth trees. If you're counting on solar for 12v power, you'll be moving your panels every half hour or so chasing the sunlight.

None of us went to the eastern/desert side this trip. It can get hot over there at times.

Short of Big Bear, which I am not a fan of, it's about the only place in SoCal to go wheeling in the summer time.

The campground is at 4000' elevation and it is on the western/coastal side of the mountains, so it stays pretty nice in the summer time. I've been up there for the 4th of July several times over the years, don't ever remember it being uncomfortably hot in the camp area. The camp area is almost completely shaded by the old growth trees. If you're counting on solar for 12v power, you'll be moving your panels every half hour or so chasing the sunlight.

None of us went to the eastern/desert side this trip. It can get hot over there at times.

Sounds like a plan, maybe another trip in June or July assuming you are feeling better

I've never seen anything like that either. Some kind of multi piece covers to protect the paint. Looked like a lot of work to put on/take off to me.

Let me know when Chris, I'm IN!

That's Anne's fj. It is armor for the paint . Worked very well. Looked about 15-20 minutes to put it on.

The full size pick up did not do the trails with us, we met glen on the road and at camp.

Anne's FJ looks great for all of the trails it has ran. She is always out it in. She took the route of armoring the under side and using those protective covers while keeping the truck largely stock and the truck does really well.

Frank

Dale, the cool part of LCIR is you can easily get to the camp ground even with a giant rv. You could set up your trailer there and go explore in your fj

We took a 24' travel trailer up there last 4th of July Anyone attempting to bring a full size RV/trailer with roof air etc, remember to look UP at the tree branches to make sure you don't damage the roof/AC unit.

The road through the reservation used to turn to dirt just past the gate, kind of nice that it's paved almost all the way to the campground now.

Back
Top Bottom