Long Block Fun

Al Swope

Adventurist
Founding Member
We swamped my buddy's 04 Rubicon in a mud hole last fall. Water was sucked in and the engine killed. He plans to keep this jeep long term so rather than swapping in a junkyard motor, he went with a re-manufactured motor. This is the 3rd long block I've swapped. I thought I'd post some pictures of the progress. We pulled the bad motor and while it hung from the hoist we removed all the components. I commandeered a set of wire shelves on wheels which was great for storing all the parts. We used zip lock sandwich bags to keeps all the bolts separate. Once the old engine was stripped, we turned it in as a core and picked up new motor which cost ~$2000. With the new motor on the engine stand we flipped it over and installed the oil pump and oil pan. Then the timing chain cover and crankshaft pully/balancer. Next we flipped it to the side and installed the intake and exhaust manifolds. The motor came with new gaskets. This week, we'll add the valve cover, engine mount brackets, coil pack, etc. On the front we'll add the thermostat housing and water pump. We'll add the power steering and alternator and fan once the motor is back in the vehicle

intake side.jpg
plug side.jpg

Last edited:
I haven’t torn an engine down in years. Hell, I would have given you guys a hand, after all, I owe you one anyways.

Thanks, This has been a slow project. An hour here and there, but we'll get it. Reinstalled the original flywheel and here is the new clutch and pressure plate
clutch.jpg

Last edited:
Finished up last night. It cranked for 1.5 seconds and fired right up. I was surprised that I did not have to bleed the fuel rail. On all the older 4.0s I've done there has been a schrader valve on the fuel rail. This was a 2004, no bleeder, but it started right up!

Back
Top Bottom