Little 4' HF type trailer

Followed your thread on JF for a long time, it's quite impressive what that little trailer has evolved into!

Thanks. I call it my little Adventure Trailer. It's been up to Alaska and Canada, Moab Utah, and across the country a time or two.

Great looking little trailer. Mine started as a HF trailer as well (built by someone else). I was really surprised to see just how capable they can be.

Looks like a perfect trailer for getting around in a jeep. Small enough to not slow you down much, small enough to remind you that you are camping, not building a house, but big enough to be comfortable and carry what you need to bug out for a while.

Well done!

Thanks. It's basically one big diamond plate aluminum truck tool box (in the shape of the old military trailer tubs) mounted on a 4' trailer frame with the tongue extended, and the springs and axles swapped out. No fancy slide out drawers or anything. It pulls nicely behind my four cylinder Jeep TJ. And can hold a lot of camping gear.

What's interesting (to me anyways) is the trailer has 3" more clearance under the straight trailer axle (with 205/75/15" tires) compared to under the pumpkin of my TJ's Dana 44 (with 33" tires).

Last edited:
It has been a few years since I've been here (computer issues and lost the link). Here's an updated picture of the trailer:

Now on 235/75/15" tires, with a Cabela's Tent-Cot mounted on the lid (acts as my RTT). Axle is now a 3500lb axle with electric brakes.

To get in the tent there's a fold-down step on the cooler tray. Step on the step, step on the cooler (cooler cover removed when at camp - second picture - cover only on when traveling), and then into the tent.
Overland Adventure.1 (2).jpg
Arctic trip.2.jpg

Overland Adventure.1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Great looking rig. One of the nicest looking jeeps I have seen. Trailer looks well thought out. Do you stay reasonably dry in the tent? It looks like water could pool on the roof. No bueno here where we get inches of rain at a time.

Thanks!

Yes, water does pool on the roof, and on the awning (it has a rainfly). But I do stay dry inside. On a recent trip up into Canada I was stuck at Ft Nelson for a few days waiting for a NAPA dealer to open (rookie mistake - didn't have a spare U-Joint), and it was raining and snowing (in August!). So since I was going to be there for a few days, I had a Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp I had recently purchased placed over the back of the Jeep and trailer. It was the first time I'd used it (first time even taking it out of the bag!) since I bought it. It might not look pretty how I set it up, but I was thinking this is the best 90-bucks I'd ever spent. And water/snow pooled on it too. But I could stand outside at the back of the Jeep and be dry with it raining.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...Tarp&msclkid=930c938c19e3142716f2ce6c0f2a9730

Arctic trip.4.jpg

The tent cot (double sized like I'm using) costs about $380 from Cabela's. And then the cover was custom made for at an upholstery shop (if I remember right - it has been a few years - was about $450). I'm sure it could be replicated now for less since they're not having to reinvent the wheel. But the tent cot and cover only weighs about 50lbs (most RTTs weight a little over 110lbs or more) so opening the trailer lid isn't too difficult. And yes, I can open the lid and prop it open with the tent opened-up.

https://besttentcotsforcamping.com/cabela-double-tent-cot-deluxe-portable-folding-cot-bed

Cabela's Tent Cot.PNG

Tent cot shown above without rain cover. And sadly, camping companion not included. And if you look at the picture of the tent cot above (and in previous post), you'll see that when I mounted it on the trailer I removed the two outer legs.

You can't really sit up inside the tent; it is more made for sleeping. But it is plenty roomy for me (I'm 6'1" tall & ~ 215lbs). There is a bar running down the center of the tent cot, so you have to sleep on one side or the other (but of course you can throw your leg over on the other side). I'm happy with the set-up. With it being smaller, you stay warmer inside.

Last edited:
The slumberjack tarp is awesome, it has saved a few trips for us. We had a campfire under it last year on our winter trip. I have been tempted to upgrade to the new version with the bug netting but haven’t done it yet.

Back
Top Bottom