Limited slip differential

verdesard0g

Adventurist
Well since a tire store locked in one hub and not the other when I went in for rotation and balancing and I drove over 50 miles before discovering that my front diff is making some noise. It's time for an upgrade.
The truck had open differentials front and rear. I haven't gotten stuck yet but wish it had some kind of traction control so I installed a Detroit Trutrac in the front.
Here are a few pics from the install which I did in my backyard. (I sure wish I had a lift, it would have been easier than doing it laying on my back on the bricks LOL)
It took about 6 hours total. To get the axles out I had to completely remove the freespin hubs which I had been wanting to inspect since installing several years ago.

the trutrac and install kit:

kit.jpg

First part to remove was the differential protector. I looks like it's been abused doing it's job. This is the only underbody protection my truck has. The diff still looks pristine!:

skid.jpg

The OEM open diff, even though I use 4 wheel drive often it the gears still like it new:

open.jpg

The new limited diff installed with indicating compound showing the correct patch:

tt.jpg

Nice. I'm switching out the clutch style OEM LSD in my Jeep for a TruTrac. Up front I'm running an e-locker.

I might put an e locker in the rear or maybe just another trutrac

Personally, IIWY, I'd go with another TruTrac in the rear. I don't like selectable lockers in the rear because every selectable locker on the market (air, cable, or electric) is an open differential when off.

There is one that says it's an electric LSD/locker, (the Auburn ECTED, i think) but it's really just a variable LSD and never achieves full 100% locked status like the other lockers. The only true selectable LSD/Lockers I know of are OEM ones like the rear locker in a Rubicon (front is open/locked), or a Tacoma TRD, or a Ram Power Wagon.

I'd rather have a rear LSD 100% of the time rather than a locker for the fraction of a percent of the time I'd be using it. That's personal preference of course, and it fits my driving style.

Personally, IIWY, I'd go with another TruTrac in the rear. I don't like selectable lockers in the rear because every selectable locker on the market (air, cable, or electric) is an open differential when off.

There is one that says it's an electric LSD/locker, (the Auburn ECTED, i think) but it's really just a variable LSD and never achieves full 100% locked status like the other lockers. The only true selectable LSD/Lockers I know of are OEM ones like the rear locker in a Rubicon (front is open/locked), or a Tacoma TRD, or a Ram Power Wagon.

I'd rather have a rear LSD 100% of the time rather than a locker for the fraction of a percent of the time I'd be using it. That's personal preference of course, and it fits my driving style.

That's what I have been thinking about also. And with a trutrac in the rear it will always be there and I will never have to select anything except 4 wheel drive or 4 low.

How did the install of the trutrac compare to say a lunchbox locker such as a lockrite? I have installed a couple of those, but the trutrac seemed, at least to be much more intense due to having to get everything lined up just right, as if you regeared. Is that a correct assumption on my part?

I reused the OEM gears, this is the first differential that I have worked on and thought it was pretty straight forward. No problems except one of the bolts holding the ring gear was so tight I broke a socket trying to remove it. Took it to a shop, they broke a socket also! So i had to cut the head off of it. Good thing I bought an install kit with all new hardware! I didn't change the pinion bearings so did not need to mess with that issue, back spacing is easy with the adjusters in the AAM axle.

Back
Top Bottom