Let's smoke something!

You guys are pretty awesome at this. I am just learning... you know the whole thing... if you ain't growing you're dying. This past summer we converted our gazeebo into a smokehouse, with a pine cabinet to smoke in, an old woodstove below, with about 7' of piping from stove to cabinet. I am way less scientific than some of you, but I enjoy afternoons in the smokehouse with a cold beer and the creek rolling.

I usually have a book to read. Today I started "Marine The Life of Chesty Puller". Big surprise.

Anyway, today was pork loin. I marinated in my own special sauce for a couple hours. Some of it I sliced before smoking and about half of it I smoked for near 4 hours. I cannot control temps exactly so temps ranged from about 225 - 250. My secret ingredient to smoking is hickory nuts. Once I have a good bed of coals I throw handfuls in about every 30 minutes or so. Seems to really help the flavor. They are abundant at the compound. Turned out great.
At the very least, a fantastic way to spend an afternoon...kinda accomplishing something but mostly having a good time lounging and then reaping the rewards at the end of the day.

DSC_0586.JPG
DSC_0587.JPG
DSC_0585.JPG
DSC_0470.JPG
DSC_0471.JPG
DSC_0592.JPG
DSC_0594.JPG
DSC_0595.JPG
DSC_0589.JPG

I made my first plate of beef short ribs (aka dino ribs) on Christmas. We normally have a bunch of family over and I do a full prime rib but there was only six of us so I thought I'd try something a bit different. This took almost nine hours on my Traeger at 225, spritzing with beef bone broth every hour. I considered wrapping it in butcher paper like a brisket but ultimately decided to ride it out since it kept adding color and never really completely stalled. They were good, a lot like a brisket point. If I could order just a point, I'd probably do that and not pay for the bones, but it was a fun cook. It will be fun to do again and just give each person a rib to eat, like meat on a stick. I ended up cubing the meat so six of us could enjoy, then took the leftovers on our winter camping trip and made burnt ends out of them.

IMG_5590.jpeg

IMG_5593.jpeg
IMG_5594.jpeg

After viewing these posts and photos, I really need to up my game. We use a no-name electric smoker, and just use it for small pieces of meat, such as grocery pork tenderloin or a small whole chicken.

I'm drooling out here! :bowdown

After viewing these posts and photos, I really need to up my game. We use a no-name electric smoker, and just use it for small pieces of meat, such as grocery pork tenderloin or a small whole chicken.

Steve, when we do the whole small chicken, my brother taught me to slice and orange and stuff the bird with it. It is amazing the way the meat takes up the flavor. Give it a try.

Electric smokers are a good/cheap way to give some things a try and see if this is for you. Then you can start drooling over all the various types of "real" smokers out there and pick one that's right for you. They are also great for smoking fish & doing jerky, as they don't get much hotter than about 180 degrees and they stay pretty consistent.

Grilled some skinless boneless chicken breast season with Sweet Swine O Mine Original Rub, Grilled Asparagus & Baby Portabella Mushrooms tossed in a Basil Parmesan infused Olive Oil all grilled on the PK Grill @ 400 degrees.
I made a good ol" Southern Potatoe Hashbrown Four Cheese Casserole.

SAM_3176.JPG
SAM_3175.JPG

Did a long cook on a 3lb Beef Tri Tip Roast BBQ smoked it like a brisket. 7 1\2 hrs @ 235 over charcoal, Mesquite & Post Oak chunks. I seasoned the roast with Sweet Swine O Mine's Texas Beef Rub, drizzled over the Tri Tip with Sweet Swine O Mine's Original BBQ Sauce, sliced onion, & Famous Dave Pickles. The sides were left over Southern Potato Casserole, Pit Smoked BBQ Baked Beans & Corn on Cob.

SAM_3280.JPG
SAM_3260.JPG
SAM_3266.JPG

We fired up the Backwoods BBQ Smoker to do a slab of spare ribs. Be a 4 hour cook @ 235 degrees over charcoal & hickory chunks. I seasoned the ribs with my Solely Misbehav'n Rib Rub which I am getting ready to have it packaged & labled to give to friends & family in 8 oz. containers. This pork rib rub is excellent dry rub Memphis Style Rib & just as outstanding as a rub for wet sauced ribs.

SAM_3293.JPG
SAM_3287.JPG
SAM_3285.JPG

Breakfast food is also great for supper. BBQ Breakfast Sausage Fatty Sandwiches.

BBQ Smoked a Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage Log in the BBQ pit. Applied Sweet Swine O Mines Original BBQ Rub, cooked it the sausage log over charcoal & hickory chunks for 2 hours @ 235 degree until a internal temperature of 165 degrees, Let rest 20 minutes, & slice.

Sally made biscuits, fried some eggs. The eggs were seasoned with Sweet Swine O Mine Apple Chipotle BBQ Rub, American Cheese & BBQ Smoked Sausage Fatty.

SAM_3341.JPG
SAM_3338.JPG
SAM_3337.JPG
SAM_3331.JPG
SAM_3336.JPG

BBQ Pit Smoked Loaded Twice Baked Potato w\BBQ Smoked Pulled Chicken & all the fix'ins. The SSOM Red Box done an awesome job.
Here's the recipe if any one wants it.
Fully Loaded BBQ Pit Smoked Baked Potatoes
Ingredients:
2 Large Russet Potatoes
4 pcs Bacon thick cut
4oz Sour Cream
1 1\2 cups Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
1\2 stick Butter
1 Green Onions thinly sliced
1lbs Pulled BBQ Smoked Pork, Chicken or chopped Brisket
2 tblspns Solely Misbehavin’ BBQ Original Rub or your favorite BBQ Rub
2 teaspns Solely Misbehavin’ Santa Maria Style Rub Seasoning or any AP Rub (all purpose rub)
1/4 cup Sweet Swine O Mine Lambo Combo BBQ Sauce or your favorite BBQ Sauce
2 tblspns fresh Parsley, fat or curly leaf, chopped for garnish

Directions:
Cook bacon until crispy and chop. Save the bacon grease.
Prepare BBQ Smoker for pit temp @ 350°F.
Wash potatoes & dry with paper towel.
Brush potatoes with bacon grease & season with Solely Misbehavin’ BBQ Original Rub or your favorite BBQ Rub.
Place potatoes in smoker & cook until internal temp is 205 degrees or fork tender. NOTE* 205 is perfect for a fluffy baked potato.
Slice the tops off each potato & scoop out the insides into a large disposable tin pan or bowl. Add butter, sour cream, half the cheese, Santa Maria Style BBQ Rub Seasoning, bacon, & green onion (reserve a little bacon & green onion for garnish for topping).
1st I like to season the inside of the hollowed potato skin with Santa Maria Style BBQ Rub. Combine scooped potato mixture & spoon the mixture back into each hollowed out seasoned potato skins.
Top with a heaping pile of pulled pork, pulled chicken or chopped brisket (re-season with BBQ Rub) & drizzle the pulled meat with Sweet Swine O Mine Lambo Combo BBQ Sauce or your favorite BBQ Sauce.
Add the remaining cheese to the top of each loaded potato & return to the pit for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Garnish with remaining chopped bacon & chopped fresh parsley.

BBQ Pit Smoked Loaded Twice Baked Potato w\BBQ Smoked Pulled Chicken & all the fix'ins. The SSOM Red Box done an awesome job.
Here's the recipe if any one wants it.
Fully Loaded BBQ Pit Smoked Baked Potatoes
Ingredients:
2 Large Russet Potatoes
4 pcs Bacon thick cut
4oz Sour Cream
1 1\2 cups Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
1\2 stick Butter
1 Green Onions thinly sliced
1lbs Pulled BBQ Smoked Pork, Chicken or chopped Brisket
2 tblspns Solely Misbehavin’ BBQ Original Rub or your favorite BBQ Rub
2 teaspns Solely Misbehavin’ Santa Maria Style Rub Seasoning or any AP Rub (all purpose rub)
1/4 cup Sweet Swine O Mine Lambo Combo BBQ Sauce or your favorite BBQ Sauce
2 tblspns fresh Parsley, fat or curly leaf, chopped for garnish

Directions:
Cook bacon until crispy and chop. Save the bacon grease.
Prepare BBQ Smoker for pit temp @ 350°F.
Wash potatoes & dry with paper towel.
Brush potatoes with bacon grease & season with Solely Misbehavin’ BBQ Original Rub or your favorite BBQ Rub.
Place potatoes in smoker & cook until internal temp is 205 degrees or fork tender. NOTE* 205 is perfect for a fluffy baked potato.
Slice the tops off each potato & scoop out the insides into a large disposable tin pan or bowl. Add butter, sour cream, half the cheese, Santa Maria Style BBQ Rub Seasoning, bacon, & green onion (reserve a little bacon & green onion for garnish for topping).
1st I like to season the inside of the hollowed potato skin with Santa Maria Style BBQ Rub. Combine scooped potato mixture & spoon the mixture back into each hollowed out seasoned potato skins.
Top with a heaping pile of pulled pork, pulled chicken or chopped brisket (re-season with BBQ Rub) & drizzle the pulled meat with Sweet Swine O Mine Lambo Combo BBQ Sauce or your favorite BBQ Sauce.
Add the remaining cheese to the top of each loaded potato & return to the pit for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Garnish with remaining chopped bacon & chopped fresh parsley.

Someone could set a mess of images from this thread in front of me and I'd know which ones were yours, Don, they always look so balanced in type of food, color, and presentation.

Damn, these Loaded and Twice Baked look wicked good, though gigantic.

Last edited:
A little Fathers day smokin going on here... First time brineing meat. A small "ham" from one of our little cross breeds that we needed to cull. Only a couple pounds. A few hours at between 225 and 250 degrees. Dang. Best f'ing meat we have ever had. Oak and hickory smoke... I love his stuff. Also a few pics of my 11 year old living life as he should. Amen brothers. Love this life.
DSC_0348.JPG
DSC_0349.JPG
DSC_0353.JPG
DSC_0358.JPG
DSC_0348.JPG
DSC_0349.JPG
DSC_0353.JPG
DSC_0358.JPG
DSC_0359.JPG
DSC_0363.JPG
DSC_0361.JPG

Last edited: