Lessons Learned at Overland Expo East 2015

Oz Tent FTW! Two weekends in a row of wet weather, the second far worse than the first, and this shelter system provided ample dry space.

7P's - Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Stored vehicle gear... muck boots in the bed of the truck; Gortex rain gear always folded and stored in the cab. Always prepared for the wet and cold.

Site Selection. We didn't have a choice and were in a well groomed location but it was nonetheless a great spot. Understanding the complex weather patterns presented by the Noreaster and hurricane demands a site that provides for good, rapid water runoff and wind-blocking protection. Tent placement to take advantage of prevailing wind conditions is critical to maintain a stable structure.

Prepared food. Plan your meals carefully in advance to save time and preparation when the weather is predicted to be foul. You never know when you'll have to feed 8 people after a cold wet day.

Good people - surround yourself with them. After a quick turn from the Appalachian Rendezvous the weekend before, Andy, Jay and Steve were great partners to staff the American Adventurist booth at Overland Expo East and represented the community well. I sincerely appreciate their effort and presence during the event. Meritorious Attaboys gentlemen.

Everything I had/use worked.
1. Camping with friends makes even a rainy weekend fun (no one complained once about the rain/mud)
2. My cheap Wal-Mart rain boots were perfect all weekend.
3. The Kelty Noah tarp over my SLO Rainfly was all I needed - I assume the leakage the week before is just a saturation point issue and the two fabrics (rain fly and Flippac tent) laying on each other.
4. The two foot (brake/gas) technique that Mike taught the week before in the 101 class really works in mud.
5. Tim will drink wine?

Last edited:
(DISCLAIMER) this, which you are about to read is a crafty way of saying I'm a pu$$y for not making it...

Well, seeing as I did not attend OEX East I'd say that was a solid lesson in itself that could be summed up by the chorus of "The Gambler" Not to take away from anyone's LL's. All the gear in the world, all of the preparation etc. is great but sometimes it's best to take the advice of Kenny Rogers. I understand all about being prepared and being able to hack it and all of that. I also understand that commitments have to be honored as well. Part of good preparation is anticipating the worst case scenario and then mitigating the risk-reward factor and good ol' ORM. But for the regular Joe's out there not manning a booth or paying to attend courses, teaching courses and the like; sometimes you "gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run". It's one thing being out "in the bush" when unexpected weather strikes and you have to make due, it's another when the most rudimentary of technology issues out severe weather warnings and you have to make the uncool decision to wave off. Even in the Marine Corps sometimes the "if it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin" saying has to be put on the shelf to stay dry. With that said; kudos and "BZ" to Tim, Andy, Jay, Steve and everyone else who represented AA and those brave souls who dared and lived to tell the tale! I, on the other hand; feel like I got punked by the National Weather Service because the weather here was not as bad as it was forecasted to be and I missed out on back to back soggy weekends... and sometimes that Kenny Rogers is just plain ol' full of $H!T!

No worries Ryan... you are still sans pusse'. The approaching weather gave all indications of record rainfalls along coastal region with damaging winds. Local authorities advised to prepare for widespread power outages due to tree falls from the already saturated ground from earlier rains. Most regions along the coast were advised to prepare to shelter in place. That and a spouse recovering from a surgical procedure is a substantial reason to "wave off" the event. You made the right call.

Think of it from our perspective... if you had made it Ryan, the rest of us would have all ended up with split sides and pulled muscles from the laughter you would have generated anyway. No worries mon frer - there will be more chances to meet up.

No worries Ryan... you are still sans pusse'. The approaching weather gave all indications of record rainfalls along coastal region with damaging winds. Local authorities advised to prepare for widespread power outages due to tree falls from the already saturated ground from earlier rains. Most regions along the coast were advised to prepare to shelter in place. That and a spouse recovering from a surgical procedure is a substantial reason to "wave off" the event. You made the right call.

Think of it from our perspective... if you had made it Ryan, the rest of us would have all ended up with split sides and pulled muscles from the laughter you would have generated anyway. No worries mon frer - there will be more chances to meet up.

Thanks for the affirmation.... Yeah, they made it seem like the sky was falling. I was amazed at the amount of Harriers stuffed into one hangar!!
harrier tetris.jpg

I figured a funny write-up was in order. Well, I tried to keep it funny at, least. Speaking of funny MY WIFE even said I should have went, maybe she was just trying to get rid of me because two weekends in a row of peace and quiet would have been nice.... :sarcasm

I hadn't realized I achieved that level of funniness.... perhaps a "Jester" banner is in order? Maybe in yellow? :sarcasm

sorry for :threadpirate

NOW; back to your regularly scheduled after action and lessons learned reports.....

Yeah, I've been retired for 4 years now and my wife still asks me when I'm going to deploy or go on TAD again on a routine basis. o_O

I learned I need to make sure I go next time. Soooo jealous of everyone that got to experience Hurricane Expo.

Indeed, Underwater Expo was one for the books. Had I been able to attend it would have been a Trifecta after Snoverland Expo and Appalachian Raindezvous

:rain

We learned to not trust someone else's staff to give out information while we're managing a challenging event. A bunch of people were told at the gate that the show had been cancelled. We're dealing with a social media storm because of it, and sending out a bunch of refunds and rollovers. Critically re-evaluating our needs for an east venue at the moment . . .

On the other hand, the feedback we got from those who made it in was almost universally excellent. Semi-bad weather seems to bring out the best in people.

We learned to not trust someone else's staff to give out information while we're managing a challenging event. A bunch of people were told at the gate that the show had been cancelled. We're dealing with a social media storm because of it, and sending out a bunch of refunds and rollovers. Critically re-evaluating our needs for an east venue at the moment . . .

On the other hand, the feedback we got from those who made it in was almost universally excellent. Semi-bad weather seems to bring out the best in people.

Oo... that's not good. I did get Expo social media posts that provided information about the event but hadn't heard about the "cancellation." That's sad to learn about the refunds and I know you're not obligated to do so but are doing the right thing by those who perceived they've been "wronged" by mother nature.

I had a great time as well as the folks I was with... adversity seems to either bring out the best or the worst in people who enjoy this community and activity. On other trips, the harder it was the more it forged relationships. This Expo certainly wasn't hard on participants but it did challenge the preparations people had made. The staff clearly worked their asses off to keep things running smoothly despite the weather but I can see how even the heroic job they did would not be enough for some of the more demanding guests/customers.

It certainly makes sense to evaluate an East coast Expo. If I can provide a little influence I'd really like you to include an event somewhere on the East coast. You are the only ones who really have the prominence in the community and reputation among industry to bring this to fruition. Perhaps the Taylor Ranch isn't the best vehicle for the event but there are other locations, and I don't mean the ones you've already reviewed, to consider. The "formula" for the event is tight - you've tuned it to optimal performance but the unpredictability of weather conditions is the only variable that is beyond your control... if we can figure some way to mitigate that risk.

If I or any of us can help we are there for you. You've done a lot for all of us individually and collectively and we stand ready now and in the future. I know you've got my number...

Working with people outside your staff is always a challenge, and often a disappointment. The event ran into a major challenge this year with the weather. From my comfy chair at home I received plenty of information on how you were handling it, and was impressed with your ability to communicate effectively via social media. I was even more impressed with your ability to offer viable solutions.

Expo East is very high on my list of events to attend in the future. I hope once the mud dries (more appropriate than dust settles) that you'll see all the benefits to having this event on the East Coast, and they outweigh the issues you have faced this year.

Keep the faith. I believe that those that are your core audience will continue to support your efforts, especially in times of adversity. The rest learned a lesson in preparation and perseverance. Which should be high on this list of attributes needed for our shared passion.

#IStandWithHansons

Joking but not joking. You guys rock! :)

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

101115pod.jpg

After some thought, I decided I did have another lesson - When it rains (a lot) or we are traveling and only in the spot for one night, my daughter sleeps in the bed rather than a tent. But each night I had to move the house battery and cassette toilet, before making her bed. I have a new idea for organizing the back of the truck and camping. The center will have a ledge and all the top will be covered in mat. I hope this will lead to less moving stuff around at bedtime. Hopefully the dog will lie down now rather than walk in circles (no matter if it is a 30 min or 5 hour ride) The toilet fits on the floor at the front of the bed and the battery goes in box. I don't charge it in there and always have a window open (plus it's a Flippac) so I don't worry about off-gassing.

Back
Top Bottom