Leonid Meteor Shower: November 16th & 17th, 2013

BorregoWrangler

Adventurist
Founding Member
The maximum of the Leonid activity in 2013 is expected during the night of the 17th November 2013. The Leonids are a prolific meteor shower. It tends to peak around November 17, but some are spread through several days on either side and the specific peak changing every year.

http://www.chiff.com/science/leonids.htm

Since those nights are a full moon most of the showers won't be all that visible. Here in my part of Southern California the moon set on November 16th will be 1:26 AM, so after that there should be good viewing. I think a trip out to the desert might be in order...

I should be somewhere in Baja for the Baja 1000, I'll have to remember to watch for it.

I am leading a Tierra del Sol run that weekend and all are welcome. We will be visiting several of George Patton's Desert Training Center sites in the area of the Palen Mountains, north of I-10. Lots of history and very mild wheeling. I will post up more details as we get closer. Should be camping with dark skies.

I am leading a Tierra del Sol run that weekend and all are welcome. We will be visiting several of George Patton's Desert Training Center sites in the area of the Palen Mountains, north of I-10. Lots of history and very mild wheeling. I will post up more details as we get closer. Should be camping with dark skies.

Interesting

My birthday is Nov 17th, if not drunk I might be up to go.

One year many years ago when I used to have a big group of wheeling buddies we stopped mid birthday party and headed to Los Coyotes Indian Reservation (It was still open to wheeling then...) to view the Leonids, it was way cool.

Frank

My birthday is Nov 17th, if not drunk I might be up to go.

One year many years ago when I used to have a big group of wheeling buddies we stopped mid birthday party and headed to Los Coyotes Indian Reservation (It was still open to wheeling then...) to view the Leonids, it was way cool.

Frank

Birthday celebration, Leonid Meteor Shower, Anniversary of the Russian Revolution, what's NOT to like??? LOL... don't know my schedule yet for those days, but I'm a big fan of meteor showers, and this one may call for another visit to that "secret spot" I learned of during my last desert recon. Easy access, with more challenging wheeling nearby for those with appropriate vehicles (the p.o.s. Camry is NOT classified as an appropriate vehicle).

Best meteor shower I ever saw was the Perseid Meteor Shower, as viewed from the summit of Isla Norte offshore... clear skies, no marine layer or light pollution, and an amazing number of meteors blazing across the sky! Astronomers who flocked to Laguna & Palomar Observatories got wanked that year, since cloud cover extended from coast to mountains and desert, but in my usual serendipitous fashion I managed to find myself in the right place at the right time. Best solo night of my life, I even wrote a story about it, part of a trilogy entitled, oddly enough: LASER VOYAGES---THE ISLAND TRILOGY. This trilogy, which consists of detailed accounts of my initial Laser voyages to all four islands offshore, is the centerpiece of a five-part book which I hope to have published in short order (the electronic manuscript, complete with photos incorporated directly into the text of each story, is currently going the rounds among two dozen publishers).

Right now our plan is to head out after my wife's photo shoot on the 16th and set up camp in Vallecito Wash in Anza-Borrego, stay up late and catch the best of the meteor shower after the moon set.

Back
Top Bottom