klr 650 Diesel

Check ADVrider I have read a few threads there on these bikes. Maybe at least find the members making posts and PM them.

I'll copy my response here from your question in my build thread for the benefit of others:

From what I understand it's very difficult to find documentation on the diesel variants of the KLR's. For years the military wouldn't allow them to be sold surplus and chose instead to destroy them. A few leaked out, but not many. In the past several years though I've seen several folks over on Advrider.com picking them up in groups of 10 to 20 from auction and restoring them for sale. Is this how you sourced yours, from one of the restoration guys, or did you find it somewhere else?

Outside of some of the frame components and some basic mechanical parts and most of the transmission I don't think there's much cross over with the regular KLRs either. The engine is obviously very different, the electrical system I'd advise trying to find one of the guys on Advrider.com who has done restorations and see what sort of help they could provide.

Another source might be to go to Hayes Diversified Technologies directly as they're the ones that do the diesel conversion on the bikes for the Marines. They're based in Hisperia CA and might be able to give you some better direction.

I'd love to get my hands on a HDT M103M1 one day. That diesel grunt and 96 mpg would make for an awesome long distance touring machine.

Back
Top Bottom