Kayaking for beginners

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
I need a crash course in how not to die in a kayak for an old fat guy.

I recently inherited (ok, yesterday) a Kiwi-Mark Twain tandem, sit in kayak. I ordered some light duty spray skirts for it today. I have paddles and lifejackets. I have virtually no experience in watercraft of any sort and zero experience in a sit in hard shell kayak. I've got a few hours in an inflatable kayak, paddled a bit in a lake, and a bit in the ocean (calm/flat conditions). Paddled around for a minute in a friends hardshell sit on kayak in calm conditions.

So, Machelle is still nursing her collar bone injury, virtually no strength in her right shoulder/arm. She will have a paddle for a hood ornament and emergency situations to help as she can.

We'll be in San Felipe, essentially paddling flooded tidal mud flats when the tide is in. I don't anticipate problems, but I know Mr Murphy quite well. My biggest question is if you find yourself needing to get out of the kayak unexpectedly , how do you get back in? (We'll have life jackets on and be within 4-500 yards of the shore).

One more thing, I like the "self bailing" feature on both of the inflatables that I have owned, is it reasonable to modify a sit in boat. Pro's/con's.

PLEASE, any one else here that has questions, there is a wealth of knowledge on our forum from folks that know what they are talking about. I could easily go to a "kayaking forum" and try to weed through all of the BS to find my answers. I'm sure the folks round here are willing to answer any questions you might have.

No need to start a new thread for general questions, post them up here without worrying about thread wander.

Best advice I can give.. Life Jacket number 1, that'll keep you alive. 2.. watch some recovery vids and then practice, practice, practice.. preferably close to shore in calm water! Youtube "kayak self recovery" tons of vids out there. Stay away from fast moving water and downed trees, that's a killer.

I wouldn't bother with the spray skirt on flat water. The skirt(s) will make exiting the boat difficult and are only necessary in waves or rapids. I would stay closer to shore, 4-500 yards is a very long swim. Re-entering a boat on the water is possible but not easy and takes a lot of practice. You can bail a boat with a hand pump or a sponge.

-Andy

I wouldn't bother with the spray skirt on flat water. The skirt(s) will make exiting the boat difficult and are only necessary in waves or rapids. I would stay closer to shore, 4-500 yards is a very long swim. Re-entering a boat on the water is possible but not easy and takes a lot of practice. You can bail a boat with a hand pump or a sponge.

-Andy
Best advice I can give.. Life Jacket number 1, that'll keep you alive. 2.. watch some recovery vids and then practice, practice, practice.. preferably close to shore in calm water! Youtube "kayak self recovery" tons of vids out there. Stay away from fast moving water and downed trees, that's a killer.
Yep concur with all here. I may advise paddling with friends when possible for awhile. Then use or have a throw bag handy. I'd also say carry a cell phone in WP bag if you think you'll have service. Be sure friends or family know your plans!!!

Deb and I took up kayaking a couple years ago for the first time ever. We went to a local reservoir on a calm day, and practiced getting in/out, pulling up to a dock, “docking” with each other for conversation and stability, etc. And lots of YouTube videos. It took us a long time to go out in any wind, and Deb still has problems tracking.

All of our adventures have been in small lakes, calm rivers near the mouth with almost zero flow, and small protected bays on Lake Erie. Deb doesn’t swim, and even with the PFD, isn’t really comfortable in rough or open water.

I’d agree with leaving the skirt behind until you are both very comfortable paddling. You don’t want to be upside down and not be really familiar with getting out of the boat!

Anything you have with you will eventually get wet. Protect it in waterproof bags or double up on ZipLoc bags. Remember, most keys are now tiny computers and can be ruined in water.

Be patient. Tandems are known in the industry as “divorce boats” for a good reason. ;)

@BushHead nailed it. #1 - life jackets. #2 - let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back (a float plan, basically). #3 - some form of reliable communication. I don't know anything about that area...but after 23 years in the Coast Guard, I DO know that on the water you should ALWAYS plan on things going wrong...and when they do, assume - and plan for - the worst.

Enjoy. I'll keep my sea-stories to myself until after we hear of your safe return. ;)

One of the lucky ones...he did everything right. http://coastguardnews.com/coast-guard-rescues-overdue-kayaker-near-albion-point/2018/05/22/

Last edited:
This trip we'll be close to shore, basically just kicking back and relaxing. The biggest reason I got the skirts was to keep the boat from getting swamped, although I don't have any intention of being on the water if the water is choppy at all.

Thanks for all of the advice guys...life jackets have been in the plan from the jump!

It takes some time to get use to a boat and more to trust it. Your initial instinct once settling in a boat is that it is constantly on the verge of tipping and you will find yourself over compensating to "correct" the boats movements. This will lead you to actually tipping the boat by over reacting. Keep in mind basic physics, keep your center of gravity low, don't over reach with your paddle or throw your shoulders wide. Smooth controlled movements are the cusp here, herky jerky moves will result in a swim. Keep your weight low and spread your legs out towards the sides so your not just an upright hump.

Paddle selection plays a part too as you don't want a paddle that causes you to overreach or extended your shoulders past the COG of your particular boat.

Don't push off stuff with your paddle, this has caused more new paddlers to experience a swim than anything. Watch the water for obstacles above and below the water. Learning to read currents and surface rippling is key here. Pay attention to your surroundings.

To get out of a kayak the best way to keep from rolling out in the water, grab both sides of the cockpit and hoist your butt straight back to the top lip of rear of the cockpit (if you can). Than you can throw a leg over to exit.

And lifevests at all times.

Paddle leashes are a great idea, you know the old saying about being up a certain creek without a paddle right?

Been there; Got the T-shirt. :cool:

i-m5jd7sv-xl-jpg.39013

i-m5Jd7SV-XL.jpg

It takes some time to get use to a boat and more to trust it. Your initial instinct once settling in a boat is that it is constantly on the verge of tipping and you will find yourself over compensating to "correct" the boats movements. This will lead you to actually tipping the boat by over reacting...

Boats have differing initial stability (sitting still) vs. secondary stability (moving). Once you are moving, they tend to be more stable. Old fat guys have little chance of re-entering a kayak by themselves. A second kayak can be used to dump the first, but it is still really hard to get back in. I always swim to shore.

Back
Top Bottom