Joe's Jeep Build V.2

jscusmcvet

Adventurist
Hope you can enjoy this...
Some of you have seen my 7 year old pushing what once was a battery operated ride in toy Jeep. He uses it more like a giant matchbox car, since the battery system stopped working long ago. I sawzalled out the gear set, so it could freewheel and the Joe has been pushing it around ever since. Earlier this year he wore that thing out at Overland Expo, literally pushing it everywhere he went.

Last week, Ann found another one for sale on a local site for only $10. We brought it home and stripped the dead electronics out, cut the gearset out and presented it to Joe. This thread is to document his build of the Jeep ;)

Plans are:
  • Camo paint job
  • lights
  • recovery points
  • comms
  • Bumper?
Here are the "before" pics
1ecfc48c62035a08d672d6e6411962f6.jpg
3363919_0.jpg

So we began with adding the Front recovery point
IMG_2957.JPG

We added a full size spare, some rear "lighting" and a CB antenna
IMG_2958.JPG

More to come

We had to have comms of course... and the Joe has been using tools his whole life...
IMG_2964.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG

Next was auxiliary lighting, also installed by the Joe

IMG_2966.JPG
IMG_2967.JPG

We will be shopping for some Goo Gone tomorrow to strip off those stickers and some paint for the camo. After that we'll be applying all the appropriate stickers for an accomplished overlander....

This. Is. Awesone!

I've got a good used weed whacker motor with a variable throttle control that Joes needs for this project. First gear head lesson Joe...and it's an important one...There's no replacement for displacement!

Loving this!

Skip the Goo Gone for removing the stickers. Hit up the nearest Home Depot and purchase this:

fc90deb8-18b9-4480-8323-aaa316c598d4_145.jpg

It's $5 in same aisle as the cleaners and goo gone. Works 100x's better than goo gone. I know it's an air freshener, but trust me. Spray it on, let it sit for 30 seconds or so and wipe off the sticker. I use it at work to remove "permanent" double sided foam tape that is designed never to be removed. Don't breathe too much of it in.

Kid needs more siping on those tires, he's going to have control issues on hardpacked snow and ice. Time to break out the siping tool. ;)

Kid needs more siping on those tires, he's going to have control issues on hardpacked snow and ice. Time to break out the siping tool. ;)
You and he are on the same wave length... he has been after me to "put some tread on that slick middle strip"... :)

After a little woods ramble today, I had to reweld the bumper a bit. While we were at it Joe scrounged up some chain I had laying around and an old trailer chain hook. A few bolts later and he had a built in "recovery chain". :truck

IMG_3000.JPG

Back
Top Bottom