Jimmie’s 2020 Gladiator JT: Smokey

The weight adds up quick. After a few weekends of adding to the truck I sat down and calculated out what my running weight is. Just daily driver use, I’m carrying 750 lbs over curb weight. Fully loaded for a trip I’m sitting at less than a case of beer under GVWR. The struggle is real.

View attachment 54746
Don't forget to include your weight as well in your calculations. I found out this past summer that with the GF, dog and myself in the GX we go over by 400 lbs. I'm 220 and the dog with crate, food and dog things is around 110.

New paws. BFG KO2s 315/70/17 load range E, mounted on AEV Savegre II wheels specific for the JT. I ran KO2+AEV on my JKU and was really happy with the tire performance and the offset on the wheels that keeps them tucked in. Right now suspension is still stock. I’m going to add some weight up front with a winch and a rack system in the back, then assess any suspension needs.

View attachment 53458

id be interested in your opinion of the ride characteristics in going from a Load Range C tire to a load range E tire. I’m on the fence about switching when I replace my tires...

id be interested in your opinion of the ride characteristics in going from a Load Range C tire to a load range E tire. I’m on the fence about switching when I replace my tires...

Yeah, for me the ride characteristics are no factor. Regardless of brand, I want the carrying capacity and the tougher sidewalls, especially when aired down.

Yeah, for me the ride characteristics are no factor. Regardless of brand, I want the carrying capacity and the tougher sidewalls, especially when aired down.

Agree with this. I only put 400 miles on the stock range C tires before putting KO2 315/70/17E on so I don’t have a good comparison. I chose the KO2 E for the additional weight capacity and thicker sidewall. I know I’m running heavy so that was a primary factor. Also the trails out west can be hazardous to sidewalls. I’ve seen sidewall damage on lesser tires and am not inclined to trail side tire changes.

On pavement the KO2s are quiet, I run them at 36psi which keeps the ride smooth. At 40psi the ride is rougher. I haven’t run them aired down yet but may this weekend so I will give some feedback on that when I do. Thinking of going down to 20 psi on desert washboard but I’m still relatively new to this so that’s just a guess at what’s right.

Last edited:
As a general rule of thumb, when I air down I go 50%. So a 40 psi street pressure becomes 20 when I hit dirt.

Of course, I can go lower and sometimes do if needed but I’d rather not. And I’d rather not have to overthink things or run beadlocks for that .001% of the time I’d need it. At half my street pressure I have never slipped a bead or had a single issue other than a slow leak once because Anza Borrego moon dust was in between the rim and the bead.

YMMV

Dropped the Gladiator off this morning for some warranty work and to get the AEV 2.5 Dualsport lift installed. Very excited to get it back and put to use next weekend. Thinking Anza or Joshua Tree, something easy. A year ago was packing for DRV in Arizona.

6FE5948F-579F-4A73-AF91-9E069C532865.jpeg

And then...just a little shake down cruise to Anza Borrego to break in the new AEV suspension. All good impressions so far. Ran some sandy washes, and washboard road. Got there by freeway, got home by mostly 2 lane road. Anyways, here is what the 2.5 Dual Sport sits like new on a JTR.I think I got more like 3+“, didn’t measure. Have plenty of room in the high Rubicon fenders, those are 315/70/17s. Could easily fit 37s, but not in my plans.

257E66D1-B3E1-4A1E-97F4-B5CE391C6354.jpeg

Also replaced the stock track bar with an adjustable one to keep the front axle centered.

81A18D63-01A2-465F-B76A-A7322EA5504D.jpeg

Bombing around the desert with a still relatively new build, I was happy that nothing rattled off, nothing was broken, and things I installed worked as expected. Ready to go again.

15162127-569E-48AA-B450-57CFA1E1B68B.jpeg

Left California for first time in more than a year to visit family in Tucson. I knew I was going to break up the 10 hr drive with overnight camping. My initial plan was to swing through Kofa NWR but when I pulled through Quartzite, AZ in the early afternoon the temps were hovering around 98 degrees (in the shade). So I routed to Plan B, get to a higher elevation and cooler clime, Prescott. Mid week, no plan, I found several campsites in the Prescott National Forest, settling on a no fee site east of town. Temps were in 70s when I arrived and got down to low 50s overnight.
D7A704B9-7DE0-4375-8E79-96A9C2A86F2D.jpeg
First time going ground tent in a long while, it set up fast but I am probably glamping here, too much gear. Will be reducing after this trip.
CE65F93D-4F75-4A3E-9061-DA8A5536CE9E.jpeg

1B61E944-34FE-4F11-BB28-89C9CF40BAD2.jpeg

Trying backpacking meals for this trip and well it’s enough to survive on its not comparable to a real cooked camp meal. Brought the bike this time, best idea. Having something to do besides sitting around camp is everything.
9944632B-4580-495B-BF23-A1CC2CBC51DE.jpeg

Will be more to come from this trip. Plan to hit a trail near Tucson and still might brave Kofa and the heat or a desert oasis on the way home.

Well of course I had to go play with this the day it was delivered. The local park will suffice for today (perils of being an urban dweller). The Adapter Shade Panel definitely lives up to its name. So many ways to deploy this. And I get back the ability to park in the garage again without the old awning killing my clearance. Can’t put a price on that piece of mind. Thanks Dave and all on showing this in action. Now to put it to the test.
4E0D9DDE-5B7D-4256-8A5D-D956625B3908.jpeg

Last edited:
Well of course I had to go play this the day it was delivered. The local park will suffice for today (perils of being an urban dweller). But the Adaptor Shade Panel definitely lives up to its name. So many ways to deploy this. And I get back the ability to park in the garage again without the old awning killing my clearance. Can’t put a price on that piece of mind. Thanks Dave and all on showing this in action. Now to put it to the test.View attachment 56449

Nice!

So last night I boondocked at the DRV site just outside Quartzite, AZ. The space was clean and looked relatively the same as last time we were all there. No other campers in sight. The road in looked to have been recently graded and was wide and passable by any vehicle. The spur leading to the campsite looked a bit rutted, might require high clearance but 2wd is fine. Of course all that can change with the next storm because desert right?

CB20FA24-7EFD-408D-A331-06F8DD7099D8.jpeg

So my boondocking was primitive, racked out in the bed of my truck. As you can see it is a tight fit. I’m a big 6’3” but was able to wedge beside the fridge and under the GearPod and Maxtrax. I’ve slept in enlisted berthing aboard Navy ships that were about as tight. But it’s fast and light, perfect for solo adventure.

A94A00A7-FBBF-4BDA-BF7D-1AA16CE074F4.jpeg

Night was warm, 60s when I rolled in at midnight and clear skies. Clear enough to watch what I assumed were UAVs doing laps over KofA
950AFA2B-3232-43BB-90FB-CA9182E746AD.jpeg

8E69B2EC-E3CC-40DD-A124-A931774581DA.jpeg

E350D4C9-2CC8-44FC-9988-A43BAD93CAEF.jpeg

This morning I drifted down 95 and explored a bit of KofA properly. Can’t wait to go back. Passed so many great campsites.
5C6672B3-3B1A-4224-9093-44347DF2B2BC.jpeg

So I love DRV so much I’ve left Los Angeles and moved to the desert. Ha. But seriously, I recently relocated back to Tucson, AZ. Looking forward to having more time to explore this region than the quick weekend visits previously.

First ranging was down to the San Rafael Valley east of Patagonia, AZ. This area is getting really popular with gravel bike riders. The Coronado National Forest surrounds much of it to the north and east, and the Border literally borders the south. For you secret squirrel types, Ft. Huachuca is in those mountains in the distance. :spy

F86885CD-47EB-47B2-ACCA-AAA5592BA494.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting in some late summer projects on the truck as I wait for the truck carrying my canopy camper to make it's way across the country.

I built a Battery/DCDC MPPT Solar Charger Box.
7924A7C9-5414-46C0-90E1-523C11EA3EB7.jpeg

Went with Renogy components, based on the real world use case following Dan Grec's journey around Australia. I won't wheel that hard but if I do, it should hold up. I'm using a 50ah LIFEPO4 Battery, I think to power a fridge, some camper lights and light recharging of devices, this should be enough. The DCDC MPPT will prioritize solar, but also dual charge from the DCDC and Solar at same time.

54881EFF-A3AC-46C6-A454-76B5BB059803.jpeg

I tested this and it works well. It also will trickle charge the starter battery. Now those with JL/JTs know how finicky the battery setup is from factory. I'm on my second pair. Hopefully the ability to top off while parked in the sun will extend the starter batter life. The other deal here is it's all in an easily removable Front Runner Wolfpack box that I had laying around. LIFEPO4 batteries don't like extreme heat, and currently the truck is parked in the Southwest. I used Anderson 50A plugs, and color keyed so I don’t mistakenly plug the Starter Power into the Load or Solar. This way I can unplug and haul the box inside the air conditioned house. Eventually all of these components can migrate to a cabinet system and I easily add another 50AH or swap for something larger.

Oh and I ran 6AWG power from the starter to the bed of the truck.
123C1BE1-1DA6-4887-A129-7F935768E9D9.jpeg

I started to overthink this as to how to run it. Then I just stopped and followed how Jeep ran the wire harness. I followed Dave’s lead here and used some orange zip ties, super helpful working in the dark crevices under the Jeep. Also, perfecting one-handed fingertip closure of a zip tie is essential.
01C2E82F-34F4-46EA-AE35-DCBCD71DC983.jpeg

Then I ran power to the 12v ABR 47L Fridge in the cab of the truck.
E2F4038D-8C37-4629-BE2D-A04EA34658C4.jpeg

I can confirm you can fit a 47L ARB Classic Fridge on a Goose Gear 40% High Seat Delete.
250B292F-853A-4402-AE93-C373EF20FF67.jpeg

Oh I also Installed a full seat delete from Goose Gear! Second vehicle I’ve done this to, worth it if you don’t need the seats. Left the drivers side infill panel off so I could still access the space as the fridge is sitting on top of the hatches. This is where I keep my recovery gear.
9258648C-6AFA-46A5-964F-9E98D44FD982.jpeg

Next up is relocating the XM Antenna and Wiring a Brandmotion Fullvue Camera, for when the Camper is blocking the review mirror.

Last edited:
I drove out to Los Angeles this weekend because I have an appointment Monday morning at Tiny Rig Co. to get an AluCab Canopy Camper installed. It really is at the extreme end of what I could do/spend on the Gladiator. On the drive there, as is my custom, I stopped in the desert to get some sleep. This time I stopped up by Joshua Tree. I was light on carrying shelter gear, ironic given the mission. So I put a small tarp down alongside the truck, set up a cot and sleeping bag and probably had the best night of sleep I’ve ever had in the desert. Very much like hammock sleeping, hard to beat looking up at all the stars on a clear night with temps in the mid 60s. Anyways…will have to remember it’s not always the fanciest gear that makes for the most memorable experiences.

9A1BEC8D-AC62-4E7E-8372-13D2E4F24820.jpeg

Picked up at Tiny Rig Co on Wednesday afternoon and drove straight to the mountains for MRV.
6F5A197E-851E-414D-BDE4-1805FE5EA5C6.jpeg

7ED50139-D25A-4930-9A13-ABCC38C7E9A5.jpeg

Didn’t take any photos of it deployed at MRV of course (but I think there is one in the MRV photo thread).

Definitely aired it out Monday morning after the fun in the rain from Saturday night. No leaks, very comfortable all weekend.
047DB6C0-49FA-4E8C-805B-B780CA935C6C.jpeg

After Joshua Tree I made my way over to the coast. Jalama Beach is pretty windy, and cold this time of year. I wanted to see how the camper compared to my previous ground tent experience here. I got a spot right on the beach. Set up tent and the awning right in time for it to start raining. Evening came and the rain gave way to steady 15-20 mph winds(gusts as high as 26 on my anemometer). I pointed the truck and wedge into the wind and slept warm and quietly through the night.
4E790A91-2F2E-4BF0-8F44-40DF78A73530.jpeg

B300A04A-D4CB-4C0E-9E91-7FCB45245641.jpeg

569D8182-D604-4D58-8A9F-08CDA6972396.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom