Jimmie’s 2020 Gladiator JT: Smokey

The weight adds up quick. After a few weekends of adding to the truck I sat down and calculated out what my running weight is. Just daily driver use, I’m carrying 750 lbs over curb weight. Fully loaded for a trip I’m sitting at less than a case of beer under GVWR. The struggle is real.

View attachment 54746
Don't forget to include your weight as well in your calculations. I found out this past summer that with the GF, dog and myself in the GX we go over by 400 lbs. I'm 220 and the dog with crate, food and dog things is around 110.

smlobx

Adventurist
New paws. BFG KO2s 315/70/17 load range E, mounted on AEV Savegre II wheels specific for the JT. I ran KO2+AEV on my JKU and was really happy with the tire performance and the offset on the wheels that keeps them tucked in. Right now suspension is still stock. I’m going to add some weight up front with a winch and a rack system in the back, then assess any suspension needs.

View attachment 53458
id be interested in your opinion of the ride characteristics in going from a Load Range C tire to a load range E tire. I’m on the fence about switching when I replace my tires...

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
id be interested in your opinion of the ride characteristics in going from a Load Range C tire to a load range E tire. I’m on the fence about switching when I replace my tires...
Yeah, for me the ride characteristics are no factor. Regardless of brand, I want the carrying capacity and the tougher sidewalls, especially when aired down.

Yeah, for me the ride characteristics are no factor. Regardless of brand, I want the carrying capacity and the tougher sidewalls, especially when aired down.
Agree with this. I only put 400 miles on the stock range C tires before putting KO2 315/70/17E on so I don’t have a good comparison. I chose the KO2 E for the additional weight capacity and thicker sidewall. I know I’m running heavy so that was a primary factor. Also the trails out west can be hazardous to sidewalls. I’ve seen sidewall damage on lesser tires and am not inclined to trail side tire changes.

On pavement the KO2s are quiet, I run them at 36psi which keeps the ride smooth. At 40psi the ride is rougher. I haven’t run them aired down yet but may this weekend so I will give some feedback on that when I do. Thinking of going down to 20 psi on desert washboard but I’m still relatively new to this so that’s just a guess at what’s right.

Last edited:

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
As a general rule of thumb, when I air down I go 50%. So a 40 psi street pressure becomes 20 when I hit dirt.

Of course, I can go lower and sometimes do if needed but I’d rather not. And I’d rather not have to overthink things or run beadlocks for that .001% of the time I’d need it. At half my street pressure I have never slipped a bead or had a single issue other than a slow leak once because Anza Borrego moon dust was in between the rim and the bead.

YMMV

Dropped the Gladiator off this morning for some warranty work and to get the AEV 2.5 Dualsport lift installed. Very excited to get it back and put to use next weekend. Thinking Anza or Joshua Tree, something easy. A year ago was packing for DRV in Arizona.

6FE5948F-579F-4A73-AF91-9E069C532865.jpeg

And then...just a little shake down cruise to Anza Borrego to break in the new AEV suspension. All good impressions so far. Ran some sandy washes, and washboard road. Got there by freeway, got home by mostly 2 lane road. Anyways, here is what the 2.5 Dual Sport sits like new on a JTR.I think I got more like 3+“, didn’t measure. Have plenty of room in the high Rubicon fenders, those are 315/70/17s. Could easily fit 37s, but not in my plans.

257E66D1-B3E1-4A1E-97F4-B5CE391C6354.jpeg

Also replaced the stock track bar with an adjustable one to keep the front axle centered.

81A18D63-01A2-465F-B76A-A7322EA5504D.jpeg

Bombing around the desert with a still relatively new build, I was happy that nothing rattled off, nothing was broken, and things I installed worked as expected. Ready to go again.

15162127-569E-48AA-B450-57CFA1E1B68B.jpeg

Top Bottom