It LIVES!

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
My daughters boyfriend, Chris, got bitten by the overland bug during our last outing at Los Coyotes Indian Reservation. He's had pre-runner's in the past, his first shot at the go slow and enjoy it thing!

I've had my old rock crawler sitting in the back yard for years.

wreckingball035.jpg

(fluid on the rocks is not mine)

I managed to fry the wiring harness on it 7 years or so ago. I cobbled the wiring harness back together and got it running again, then a friend sent me a complete wiring harness maybe 6 years ago. I took the Jeep down, finished about half the job, and never finished it. The poor Jeep has been sitting on jack stands in my back yard ever since.

Chris has been working like a mad man trying to get it back together and running for the last week or so. He got it to crank over a couple of days ago. He had to drop the gas tank to put a new fuel pump in it. Once he had that complete he hit the starter button and the damn thing fired right up...even sounded better than I thought it would at start up. There are still some odds and ends to get taken care of, get it smogged and registered, and it'll be good to go again!

A couple of shots of Machelle getting her some at TDS the last time I remember it running.

IM0002571.jpg

IM000261.jpg

IM000270.jpg

IM000271.jpg

IM0002721.jpg

We had to give her a little tug, but she drove it out of that predicament!

I'm looking forward to getting it back out on the trail. I'm even more thrilled that I've got my daughter and Chris into the off highway thing!

Last edited:
The build is on. As I pokedaround in my garage looking for things like lug nuts, I keep finding stuff that I've purchased in the past. Most of the stuff I'm coming up with were good deals at the time without a real need or sponsor stuff. Chris now has limit straps, an armored rear differential cover and a set of adjustable LightForce lights to put on.

I've never been that happy with the LightForce lights, they'll make better camp/back up lights than they do forward facing.

Last edited:
Well, it seems he was serious. Not only did he get the engine started, he's got it ready for a road test. Tires are Interco TSL bias-plys (you youngsters may have to Google bias-ply:rolleyes:), they've been off the Jeep, but sitting. We pumped them up to 30PSI to try to make them round again.

I have to move my 24' enclosed trailer to get the Jeep out. It's a complete PITA to move, 9-12" from the house on one side, sane distance from a pony wall on the other. It's going to require some motivation to get me to do it...updates to come!:cool:

Damn I never thought that thing was gonna move.. so awesome.. good job Chris . I've always loved that Jeep.. I loved it so much I had an old roll cage of his in my Jeep!

Well with the right stamina and determination, a guy can fix that body. He's going to need a lot of it though hahah.

Glad the Jeep is coming back from the dead!

Letting the body keep its scars. Tells a good story.
The roll cage will have 2 little pieces of tubing added to strengthen the light bar top tube. Then some new mounts for a LED light bar. Fresh coat of paint then back on 'Ol Yella she goes.
Beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel...........Hahahaha just kidding

Cage is done!!! Light bar mounted with the wire in ran internally (not an easy task) body panels repainted. Wiring get looms re-done by Kelly ( she has a talent when it comes to wiring ). Hopefully we'll be able to get the cage backnowledge into the jeep today. I'll post pics tonight.

Ahhh the old roll cage.. Looks pretty straight.. .... :)

That is the second cage I built (well, Steve McKay built) for that Jeep. It's 2"x.120" tube. It could use some triangulation, but it is stout as hell. I've used it as an anchor point to pull the Jeep back over on more than one occasion!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom