Hummer is back.

It's not just the availability of charging stations, it's the time it takes to do the recharge. Friends with Tesla's always express frustration that the recharge can take 30 minutes to more than an hour. Filling a gas tank can be done in less than 5 minutes -- and you are on your way. On long road trips, that adds up. I get this is the future but a) is 1000 hp necessary in a truck? b) a 0-60 time of 3 seconds, really? and c) not a lot of people have the driving skills to handle a beast like that. And will every small town GM dealer be able to service them - if your Tesla breaks down in rural America today, it's a long tow to a dealer in a major city and its unlikely there will ever be enough demand for EV's for decades to justify all dealers getting on board. A hybrid version would be a game changer for sure.

I suspect this will join the GWagons and Range Rovers that currently cruise mall parking lots and suburbia.

It's not just the availability of charging stations, it's the time it takes to do the recharge. Friends with Tesla's always express frustration that the recharge can take 30 minutes to more than an hour. Filling a gas tank can be done in less than 5 minutes -- and you are on your way. On long road trips, that adds up.

Where EV trucks will make up the difference is in fleet services that are never really that far from the depot/service center and can sit in a lot and can charge overnight on a company charger. I think it's going to creep into our lives that way. Mitsubishi E-Canter, Ford E-150s with service beds, etc. Not through a vehicle like this that can't get me to Yellowstone.

This is where I think Ford made the right decision and based their planned E pickup off of the F-150. Every fleet manager looking at fuel costs we'll see a truck body that they can easily adapt to their fleet. Heck maybe even use the service body they already use in their fleet.

Where EV trucks will make up the difference is in fleet services that are never really that far from the depot/service center and can sit in a lot and can charge overnight on a company charger. I think it's going to creep into our lives that way. Mitsubishi E-Canter, Ford E-150s with service beds, etc. Not through a vehicle like this that can't get me to Yellowstone.

This is where I think Ford made the right decision and based their planned E pickup off of the F-150. Every fleet manager looking at fuel costs we'll see a truck body that they can easily adapt to their fleet. Heck maybe even use the service body they already use in their fleet.

Trucks are making the headlines but Ford has plans to release an electric Transit van at around the same time as the 150. For in city delivery companies, tradesmen, etc this will be huge. They're also mentioning (with little in the way of details) offering scalable charging solutions for fleets.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/all-electric-transit/2022/

I suspect this will join the GWagons and Range Rovers that currently cruise mall parking lots and suburbia.

This. The entry price is astronomical, even for the more affluent upper middle class on two incomes. Even if you did take this on the Rubicon, Dusy Ershim or even some of Moab it would be a white knuckle affair and not much fun for me even if I could afford one. Can you imagine repair costs on this thing, especially once out of warranty? Electrical gremlins too - instant trail plug.

I mean, it’s cool. But I don’t see it going mainstream out the gate like the new Bronco.

Haha - I could buy 2 of the first HOUSE I bought for with that kind of scratch :)
I can identify with that sentiment. :) Due to recent vehicle shopping on my part, I'm reminded of when my father bought his first car that cost more than his house (my mother's early '90s new Honda Accord at $11k) and his first computer that cost more than their first new car (new 1962 Ford Falcon Wagon at $2200.)

I thought the new Hummer had some interesting, if gimmicky, features. But then I saw a video on the new Jeep Grand Wagoneer at $100k, and the Hummer suddenly seems like a good value. :confused:

Update - We have a new contestant
  • Ford F-150 Electric Pickup
  • Rivian R1T
  • Atlis XT
  • Bollinger B2
  • GMC Hummer EV
  • Tesla Cybertruck
  • Fisker Ocean & Force-E
View attachment 51370

Force E
  • AWD configurations
  • Approximately 300 horsepower (maybe even a higher performance version)
  • An upgraded and lifted suspension
  • Off-road spec wheels and tires
  • Extra front lights in the lower bumper
  • Front light protective bar
  • Front tow hooks
  • Lower front protective scuff plate
  • Roof rack with integrated lights
  • Rear hatch tool box
  • Power plug to power EV’s
  • Large drinking water tank under the hood with access from the front bumper

Fisker and Foxconn sign framework agreements for project PEAR confirming manufacturing to start in the U.S. from Q4 2023.
https://press.fiskerinc.com/d7Vp1Aw2RG2ZZ6FQA6Ga

Now if the Hummer on the market looked like this.

gmc-hev-insider-island-prix-5.jpg
\
gmc-hev-insider-island-prix-13.jpg

gmc-hev-insider-island-prix-14.jpg

Back
Top Bottom