Henry US Survival AR-7

bruinlad

Adventurist
"These days, an era during which "survival" isn't just synonymous with "not getting dead", but more specifically with "not getting brains eaten out of skull or infected with the zombie virus," the AR-7 is popular amongst bush pilots, backpackers, and backcountry trekkers in need of a rifle that doesn't take up much space, but can still take down small game and zombified Jamaican sprinters." -- dudeiwantthat.com

http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

h2.jpg

Also a handy gun to live in a vehicle. I'll be adding one of these to the wife's car.

Ruger also has a break down 10-22 now.

That's pretty sweet. The take down 10/22 is also very nice. Does anyone know the legality to having these in your pack or truck? Are they considered a firearm in takedown mode? That way if I have it in my pack while hiking or backpacking can I get in trouble for having a coneal carry without a ccw?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I prefer the take down 10-22 for repeated use.

The ar-7 is a good concept but people think about longevity in a gun. The 7 is not a use often type of weapon. They have problems with breaking and chipping at the connection points. If it's something your going to fire from time to time to check serviceability then put back into your kit, it's a good choice for its purpose.

All around I feel the ruger is the best choice for frequent use.

Legality will vary state to state. But if it's broken down an separate from the ammo while on the road I think you'd be safe most everywhere in the United States.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Another "new" survival type gun is the Chiappa M6 X-Caliber (based on a similar Springfield M6 Scout aircrew survival gun that is out of production).

Folding over-under 12 ga and .22, add the adapter kit for multiple caliber versatility. In addition to the two original gauges, adapters allow you to shoot 8 pistol calibers ( .380 , 9 mm , .357 Mag/.38 SP , .40 S & W, .44 Mag, .45 ACP , .410/.45 colt ) and two shotgun calibers (410 ga and 20 ga), combining the flexibility of a shotgun and the power of a rifled gun.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2673

XCAL_dettcalcio.jpg

XCAL_fold.jpg

XCAL_setround.jpg

XCAL_setopen.jpg

I'll stick with my Marlin Papoose any day over the AR7 designs. Supposedly Henry got them working but it's also overly bulky. If I couldn't find a Papoose I'd get one of the take down 10/22s.

I used to own an AR7. Using any type of high velocity ammo turned it full auto. It's built way to lightly to stand that. Standard ammo. Worked ok but still no the most reliable gun made. My 10 22 has never had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From everything I have read, they are not reliable or really all that fun to shoot, but I still want one. I have come real close to buying one a couple of times

I have to second the 10-22 takedown. I've used a few of the Henry's and have found them to become unreliable pretty quickly after a few mags. If you can clean it on the fly then you'll be okay but the action gets sticky pretty quickly.

Well, breakdown 10-22s are only $320 on Buds Guns. That makes the decision pretty easy... I though they would be more pricey.

I bought a 10/22 Take-down back in october at Turners for around $329. I think most people would say the Marlin Papoose or Ruger 10/22 over the AR7. Papoose is probably lighter than the 10/22 but I don't know if you can get higher capacity mags for it. Might not be an issue if you just want something as a backup survival rifle but if It also rides along as a recreational shooter having BX-25s are nice. I mean if i lived in a free state that is... I don't know if the regular 10/22 stocks are any better than the take-down ones but I wasn't digging the hollow feeling plastic stock on my TD so I put it in one of those Hogue rubberized stocks. Added a bit of weight but I think it looks/feels better. Heres a shot of me messing around with it when I picked it up last year on 10/22/13 :cool:

IMG_0632.JPG

Here it is in a custom hogue stock

IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0747.JPG

Hogue mentioned they were gonna make TD stocks @ shotshow this year but I've yet to see any updates on their progress.

I picked up a 10/22 TD FOR $280 with the carrying case etc. I love the stainless barrel and I certainly appreciate a higher capacity magazine than that of an AR7.

I picked up a 10/22 TD FOR $280 with the carrying case etc. I love the stainless barrel and I certainly appreciate a higher capacity magazine than that of an AR7.

If anyone wants to own one for nostalgia, I have an original Armalite AR-7 and a bunch of spare parts I would let go reasonably. Must transfer in SoCal.

Arclight

If anyone wants to own one for nostalgia, I have an original Armalite AR-7 and a bunch of spare parts I would let go reasonably. Must transfer in SoCal.

Arclight

If you are not in a hurry, I may be interested in this in a couple of months

Back
Top Bottom