Harrop E-Locker

woody

Adventurist
Finally was able to source a rear e-locker for my 200 series Land Cruiser

20171028_104250.jpg

Pease review and let us know your thoughts. I have considered this for my Tacoma front diff. Price?

Pease review and let us know your thoughts. I have considered this for my Tacoma front diff. Price?
I'm not @woody but I can provide some insight.

Typically more expensive than a pneumatic locker (e.g., ARB), but the price is quickly offset since the need for an air compressor, compressor mounting, wiring, switch circuit placement, and pneumatic tubing routing, plus associated labor is avoided. I know - I sell both and build the estimates for merchandise and labor.

The Harrop (Eaton) has less moving parts and installation is less complicated than a pneumatic locker. Owners I know who have installed the Harrop's have universally glowing remarks about their durability and function. These owners are located on the Western and Eastern sides of North America and Australia and use them frequently; specifically, they're not Mall Crawlers and the trucks are Land Cruisers. Owners of pneumatic lockers sporadically report system failures, usually from the copper air line in the differential or the small rubber seals, requiring some disassembly, to repair. Wire routing is far simpler than pneumatic line and less subject to heat and friction from vibration.

Full disclosure: I have ARB lockers, front and rear, in my 2001 Tacoma with SAC since 2010. I'm very satisfied with them but have had 2 occasions of air line failures due to location/excessive heat, one rear diff air leak at the copper line, and 2 seal failure replacements. This is not too unusual for owners of this type of locker, thus I'm not running out to spend another $4K to have them re-done.

Had they been available for my truck when I had performed the locker installation I would have gone for the Harrop's.

Note** For the typical forum debate - I do not advocate front lockers for an IFS axle. They, by design, are typically weaker than a solid axle and the majority of operators employing them do so inappropriately (frequency and orientation to the objective). Typically snapping axle shafts and in some cases ring and pinion gears - but hey, that's income, to R&R the broken axle, etc.,... :D

I was too but the fellows over in Toyoda land thought that ATRAC and Crawl control coupled with center diff lock was all we needed. There are several
you tube vids that show a 200 buried up to the frame in sand and when Crawl control is activated it somehow manages to raise it's self and drive off. It is without a doubt an electronic traction marvel, as long as it all works. Obviously I don't believe them 100%.
:bacon

I was too but the fellows over in Toyoda land thought that ATRAC and Crawl control coupled with center diff lock was all we needed. There are several
you tube vids that show a 200 buried up to the frame in sand and when Crawl control is activated it somehow manages to raise it's self and drive off. It is without a doubt an electronic traction marvel, as long as it all works. Obviously I don't believe them 100%.
Just an observation that I've learned from some "customers" who have a fleet of 200-series (diesel) Land Cruisers in Southwest Asia. In some cases while "touring" less developed regions with no factory support, there have been failures of the electronic traction control systems. Toyota does offer procedures to "reset" those accessories, however they are the processes that have you perform multiple tasks (turn on acc, beep horn, flask lights twice, touch your nose with right thumb three times,...). Those onerous multi-step tasks are not easily accomplished in "urgent, kinetic" situations. This results in a lot of body damage, as in holes, at a cyclic rate.

Ultimately those customers have since switched to the Hilux and 70-series Land Cruiser, which have "legacy" 4WD systems that "customers" can actually work on.

I found it interesting to learn that... YMMV.

I'm not @woody but I can provide some insight.

Had they been available for my truck when I had performed the locker installation I would have gone for the Harrop's.

Hmm. That's good info. I hadn't thought about trying to find an e-locker. The factory one in my FJ always performed flawlessly. Going to dig around now and see if I can find one for the Tundra. Simple is always better and then I could dedicate the compressor to just the tires.

Hmm. That's good info. I hadn't thought about trying to find an e-locker. The factory one in my FJ always performed flawlessly. Going to dig around now and see if I can find one for the Tundra. Simple is always better and then I could dedicate the compressor to just the tires.
https://www.cruiserbrothers.com/ ask for Fergie

Or call Georg at Valley Hybrids - 650-576-2023

Back
Top Bottom