Hammock tent

cali_camper

Adventurist
So I've been considering getting one of these now that I'm past the desert part of the PCT. I have gift cards to REI so it would be an eno or a hennessy. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with hammock camping? I keep imagining that one side will fall down even though I've never heard of it happening. Thoughts?

I had an eno, and did not care for it. The suspension was too elastic so you would get everything hung, go to sleep and wake up sagging. The ENO was returned and I bought a Blackbird hammock from Warbonnet Outdoors. It is far more comfortable and has some great features. For one, it is not a symmetrical cut which helps you get diagonal in the hammock. Diagonal equals flat, and flat equals comfy. In this picture you can see the foot box extending off the side so the feet are on one side of center and your head is on the other. It also has the storage shelf which gives a great spot for a book, bottle of water, headlamp all the normal little things. There is also a full bugnet, and it can be flipped over the ridge line when you don't want it.

IMG_3366__92908.1405381464.800.800.jpg

Hammocks bring along an issue called "cold butt syndrome" and it is exactly what it sounds like, when the wind blows under the hammock your butt gets cold. There are two options, an underquilt (sleeping bag under the hammock) or a regular sleeping pad. The blackbird is 2 layers, so you can slip the pad in between the layers and it stays in place. The stuff sack is open on both ends so you can leave it on the suspension. It is kind of hard to explain, but it means you can open one end and pull out the suspension then close the top leaving the hammock in the stuff sack. Clip on to the tree or whatever, and open the opposite end and pull the suspension to the second tree. As you pull the suspension out it pulls the hammock out of the sack and keeps everything off of the ground and out of the mud. You reverse the process and everything gets put away with out getting dirty.

if you want the ENO style hammock, you can build your own real easy. I built one as my first project using a thread injector (sounds more manly then sewing machine) I went on youtube to see how to use it so I did not have to tell my wife I was stealing her machine. There are lots of instructions on Hammock Forums. I did a fancy whoopie sling suspension on it and was still less than $30 total and it only took a couple hours.

Here is the link to the blackbird hammock, though they now have a new version http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbird/ Warbonnet Outdoors is a small cottage industry, and everything is sewn in Evergreen Colorado. I have had mine for about 4 years and would not hesitate to buy another

Last edited:
I liked the Hennessy in that it is one complete system, but it is only rated up to like 200-250 lbs. I'm balancing around that myself. The Eno system is rated up to 400 lbs. but sags and you have to purchase all the pieces individually which when all is said and done equals the cost of a Hennessy. I have the Eno system. One day I'll learn how to levitate.

Not the most comfortable sleep I ever had. Interested in a War Bonnet?
Is that made with real down feathers?
I made this mask as a Shamans headdress. It is the Pelvis of a young buffalo, a black bear skull with a red corn cob, covered with beaver and rabbit. An interesting and heavy bonnet of sorts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990.9 KB · Views: 66
You might be able to find a better hammock then the Warbonnet, but you can't find a more expensive one!
I own one and like it, but I'm frustrated with how hard it can be to find a good place to hang it.

warbonnet blackbird with an underquilt, and dont look back. best thing ever if you have trees to suspend from.

I tried out hammock sleeping on my last kayak trip. I slept great, but apparently I snore a lot more sleeping on my back in it.

I see they even make one that would fit me and that they are based in Evergreen Colorado, where I happen to stop every year to see an old buddy. Awesome!

i think the Eno hammocks are also available in Multi Cam. Plus they're based here in Asheville.

I also have a Sock for my Ridgerunner I've only tested in the garage but I'm doing a short overnight in the NC mountains this weekend so ill report back on how much warmer it is.
0B5AC182-1A07-41D7-936D-E86AF9A8B8A4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm liking my Kammok. What worried me about Hennessy is the 300 lbs weight limit. I'm about 230 lbs and I wondered what would happen if I sat down hard on it. The Kammok is rated at 500 lbs and is wide enough to get diagonal.

http://kammok.com/

I see that everyone likes the Warbonnet, and I know you wouldn't steer me wrong. The thing is I already have a nice Big Agnes backpacking tent, so I really can't take money out of the family budget for this. I was going to use gift cards I have and the 20% REI member coupon that comes out soon.

I'm probably going to go with the Hennessy. ​It looks really easy to set up and since I'm smaller (compared to you big manly men anyway, lol) I think it will be fine.

Making one myself sounds like a good idea too. I can see what I like and don't like about the Hennessy and make mine better and then have a loaner :)

By all means though, keep adding to this thread in case others are interested too!

Last edited:
As you gathered, I love the warbonnet, but think you will be happy with the hennessy. The eno is ok, but not the same quality as the hennessy. What ever you get I would suggest buying or making some tree strap extensions, they come in handy

I just bought my first hammock; an ENO because it was an impulse buy. I like that it packs down to the size of a softball, so I can take it with me even though I seldom camp where there are trees. I made my own suspension system, so it is adjustable and does not sag. I will probably only use it for relaxing around camp as my girlfriend likes our big tent and queen size bed, but I might use it on a solo trip sometime.
I hung it in the back yard and found it quite comfortable for naps.

Hanging. Warbonnet blackbird with tarp at so.cal rendezvous. Comfortable and easy setup. But if you get cold you will have to compensate for the cold underneath you since there is no insulation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom