GSI camp kitchen products

I figured that out when I read the description! DOH

Cris, have you had any warping issues with the big pot? I saw that mentioned a couple of times on the Amazon reviews.

The kit has lived in the back of the truck for 2 years and I have never had an issue with them other than some scratches.

BTW, you all suck for this thread. I was perfectly content with my mix of coleman stuff and things I swiped from the home kitchen. Now I want ALL the GSI stuff.
Dave is ultimately to blame...he's the one that came up with the Rendezvous concept. I too was perfectly content with my mix of Coleman and household items to meet my needs. Reading about the GSI stuff, and then seeing the products in use at MRV is what sold me on their stuff.

Dave is ultimately to blame...he's the one that came up with the Rendezvous concept. I too was perfectly content with my mix of Coleman and household items to meet my needs. Reading about the GSI stuff, and then seeing the products in use at MRV is what sold me on their stuff.

I agree. It's sooo hard for me not to spend money on new gear when I see all the cool stuff people have.. I've already been browsing craigslist for an off rad trailer to use as base camp, and I've been eyeballing amazon and have almost pulled the trigger on a bunch of gsi cooking gear too.. luckily, I'm cheap, and I just can't do it. I do however think I need to upgrade my ice chest adap, since a 20 lb bag of ice was turned into water in less than 24 hours.. that just ain't right.

OK, the coffee press and the utensil's arrived at the house today. A coffee press is pretty much a coffee press. I've always used a percolator type coffee pot when camping, figure the press is a little easier to use, so decided to give it a shot. I might give it a shot here at the house this weekend. Immediate impression is it seems to be of good quality, no skid rubber pad on the bottom of the insulated sleeve.

The utensils...the quality of the forks/knives/spoons seems decent. I suspect the knives have enough of a serrated edge on them that they will cut a steak. There is a relatively sharp, small steel blade knife (not serrated) with a hard plastic slip on blade guard. Somehow I didn't notice that knife in the description. The serving spoon/spatuala handles lock firmly into place, blade on the spatula seems a little small. The whisk...no idea who decided that a whisk was a necessary camping cooking tool. I now have one if any one ever discovers that they have a need for one! The cutting board is of adequate size to cut up a tomato, etc. Combination salt/pepper shaker seems that it will do the job, although a little on the small side, especially if you are a salt/pepper person (I'm not, so not that big a deal) The condiment containers seem a little weak. They are a thick mylar type material, they do come with two caps, attatched to the coantainers with a lanyard. One of the caps is a flip top, the other is a solid top. A nice touch is the scrubbing pad and small towel. Thinking on this a bit, I'll probably use the containers to hold dish soap, and continue to utilize single serve condiments stolen from fast food restaurants.

I'm not certain that I'd buy the utensil set again. It's nice to have everything in one convenient case, but the same thing, tailored to your specific needs could just as easily be assembled and put in a bag at far less cost.

gsi 001.jpg

gsi 002.jpg

I put the magazine in the pic to give an idea of the size of the bag.
gsi 003.jpg

Eating utensils and the cutting board.
gsi 004.jpg

Sharp knife and sheath.
gsi 005.jpg

Serving spoon/spatula

gsi 007.jpg

A place for everything, and everything in it's place!

Attachments

• gsi 006.jpg
    gsi 006.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 80
A word of caution. With those lexan utensils, make sure any guests that use them understand that they are not disposable. I lost a spoon when someone threw it away after a potluck.

Great pics Bob, looks like a quality set!

A word of caution. With those lexan utensils, make sure any guests that use them understand that they are not disposable. I lost a spoon when someone threw it away after a potluck.

:wow

I have a bunch of GSI stuff in my shopping cart on Dom's Outdoors website... I just haven't pulled the trigger, but I am VERY close to just doing it.

Lexan utensils are very tough but watch them around high heat. They'll stir coffee and handle the food on your plate fine, but using them to flip your bacon while it fries will result in melted forks. Ask me how I know...

I used the GSI Java Mill on our recent MR road trip. It worked very well but I wish it had 2 or 3 times the capacity. Just a minor nitpick there.

^^^^Point taken, and thanks. I'm sure I'll risk it at some point and melt one down just to verify your study!

What about the big spatula/spoon, are they more heat tolerant?

Still waiting on the rest of my stuff...<tapping foot patiently>

The whisk is very handy in making your scrambled eggs nice and fluffy.

You can thank me by proving it :)

I got a call from Dom's last Friday letting me know that the cookware was in and on it's way, showed up at my doorstep today.

Initial impressions are about what I expected. It really is pretty compact, considering you get two pots, a skillet, 2 lids, 4 plates, 4 bowls, 4 insulated cups w/lids(double insulated when the cup is in the bowl), a handle, and the carrying bag, which also serves as a wash basin. The one thing that did surprise me is the two lids are plastic (probably not "plastic", but something similar)

Time will tell how well it all holds up to the abuse I'm sure to put it through. Mostly, Machelle is happy that she has all of the needs for cooking/eating in two easy to store bundles (Machelle is in charge of packing our needs for our trips, I'm in charge of making sure the vehicles will get us there and back).

Some pics to keep the moderators from getting restless...

gsi 002.jpg
gsi 005.jpg

I'm pretty happy that I pulled the trigger on this stuff. Looking towards the future, the different colors on the cups/bowls/plates should keep the "who's is who's" arguments down to a dull roar with the grandkids. Although the pot/skillet lids are "plastic", they do have a soft "rubber" seal, so left overs should store well in a 'fridge, etc.

Dangit, Now I Have To Buy This stuff. It looks epic. Hopefully I'll have some gsi cookware by toys 4 tots.

Go ahead and toss those plastic lids in the trash. None of mine have survived, usually taking out the pot by melting all over it. I just perch the pan on top if I use one at all.

Sent from a mud puddle

Back
Top Bottom