Front Runner Load Rails for the JK

Grumps

Adventurist
Founding Member
I needed a better way to haul bulky equipment with the Jeep. The purchase of a kayak really made the issue obvious and the new Oz-Tent RV-2 presented more issues. I had one of those foam block sets and straps that worked for transporting the boat home but knew that was only a temporary solution. The RV-2 tent just would not fit in the Jeep with any other equipment.

I started researching options for carrying stuff on the Wrangler’s roof. Roof racks for the Jeep Wrangler require some sort of frame to support the weight due to the fiberglass roof. I also did not need a full roof rack. Load bars looked to be a good alternative.

I found three different manufacturers of load bars for the Wrangler; Yakima, Garvin, and Front Runner. They are all comparable in cost and function. I chose the Front Runner because of the flat load bars that mount on the rails and the option to mount a flat tray later if I need it.

Installation does require drilling through the top to mount the rails for the load bars. Meh, what’s a few holes. I could always fill them in with JB Weld if things didn’t work out.

IMG_0619.jpg

I pulled the top off the Jeep and cleaned the top surfaces.

IMG_0620.jpg

The rails have a rubber gasket that is held in place by adhesive tape. Remove the paper tape and position the gasket in place.

IMG_0621.jpg

Trims the ends and then mark the location of the holes on the roof. Time to drill.

IMG_0622.jpg

Five holes on each side for the rails.

IMG_0624.jpg
IMG_0625.jpg

Test fit everything including the underside support brackets. One each front and rear for both rails.

IMG_0626.jpg

Now take it all back apart and apply silicone to all the holes and the tapered head of the bolts. Tighten all the nylock nuts and the rails are installed.

IMG_0630.jpg
IMG_0631.jpg

Hoist the top back on the Jeep and assemble the legs. Mount the legs to the rails using the captive nuts that allow the leg to slide on the rail. Position the load bars and then tighten all the hardware.

So far wind noise is noticeable but not annoying: sort of a low hum. I’ll test it out this weekend as we have a quick two day camping trip planned.

-Andy

Good work on the install, Andy.

Whats the max load rating on that setup?

Look's good Andy.

Are the Front Runner feet and rails as easy to remove from the tracks as the Thules?

Look's good Andy.

Are the Front Runner feet and rails as easy to remove from the tracks as the Thules?

Each foot has two bolts that only need to be loosened and then the bar slides off the track at either end.

Back
Top Bottom