FLORIDA

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Crowd Sourced! Share information and ask specific questions about this state here.

This section is focused on documenting the following:
  • Adventure Opportunities & Destinations
  • Trails
  • Campsites
  • Watercraft Put-Ins/Take-Outs
  • Local Info, Highlights & Lore
  • Local Regulations & Local Insight

IMG_0281.JPG

Florida has lots of woods for camping, trail driving, and hunting. The place I go to most is the Ocala National Forest. Located in the Forest is the Pinecastle Bombing Range. The Navy and Florida Air Guard use it to practice with inert bombs. It is so much fun to go out and see them do their bombing runs. Some planes fly in at tree-top level and they feel like they are 10 foot above you when they fly over. There is a clayish perimeter road around the range so no matter what direction they fly in, you can position yourself in the best location to see them.

Over the years I never knew when they would be out there. It was just something you got to see a few times in your life. Well this morning I find this in the paper:

The U.S. Navy plans inert bombing this week at its Pinecastle Range Complex in the Ocala National Forest. That means residents in West Volusia, including DeLand and DeBary, could hear or feel vibrations from the training.

The schedule is as follows:

From 10 a.m. to noon and 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Monday and Wednesday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. on Tuesday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday.

When the bombing is taking place, the Navy warns that wildlife may be temporarily displaced and urges motorists to use extra caution when driving the the Forest. Residents are advised to secure items around their homes that could attract wildlife.

Well, there you have it. Anyone can go now. And they should. It is awesome.

29.108034, -81.691855

Be sure to place this image on the hood or roof of your truck to identify your vehicle... :D

mod_classic_roundel_bullseye_archery_target_classic_round_sticker-rd947e24c83db400f8225956ee8ae7c91_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

A few local resources to get outdoors in NW Florida AKA the Panhandle. If you are "passing through" this area on I-10 headed east or west, there are many good free (or nearly free) camping opportunities in the area within 1 hr of the freeway.

Eglin AFB, Jackson Guard, outdoor recreation permits: LINK

Blackwater River state forest: LINK

Escribano Point WMA: LINK

Apalachicola National Forest: LINK

Pensacola beach, Navarre and Destin have world class white "sugar sand" beaches as well.

:map

Back
Top Bottom