FAA sUAS pilot license

Matt

Adventurist
Just wondering if drone photographers are familiar with 14 CFR Part 107? I'm being required to obtain the FAA license for work, but how do people feel about the requirement for commercial purposes, including photography for compensation?

I'm really glad we have Part 107, but it's still far from an ideal [read: sustainable] solution. The problem is that there is no teeth to to the rules, and the FAA isn't going to ding the people who are breaking the rules or flying without licence unless they cause an accident. To make following the rules even less enticing, it currently takes over 100 day to get airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace. The new LAANC system for real time approvals has started, but that's only offered in select airports. One airport in all of AZ, for instance.

This has caused a trend of operators breaking the rules to be able to do work. Hypothetical situation: Client: "Hey can you get some footage of X for me?" Operator: " Sure if you can wait 100 days for it to be done legally..."

Its a rapidly evolving industry that's flying headlong into new legal territory as various stakeholders grapple with control of a disruptive technology - it's been a great learning experience to be a part of it.

It is much better than the original rule, must be a private pilot to use UAS commercially.

@Chad, I think you’re good until you’re not. The airspace coordination would be easy if people followed the rules. But there is always someone that wants to push the barriers, hence lack of trust that operators will stay below 400agl, and out of the way of approaches. Most of my stuff is for public safety, thinking about maybe doing some commercial work.

In theory it should be. But experience tells me it is anything but. I wish the FAA would pay us for every job we lost because folks needed something flown ASAP, but we couldn't make it happen until we had airspace auth.

Yeah, there's no shortage of folks flying where they shouldn't.

The app works well for me knowing the 5 mile zone. I think the biggest complaint is no database of who to contact. I called my local hospital (listed as an airport because of it's helicopter pad) the rule says I have to notify them, not ask permission, the switchboard and security had no idea who I was supposed to notify.... it would be nice if the app included the correct contact number.

Back
Top Bottom