Exploring & Fishing Imperial Valley: May 27th, 2013

BorregoWrangler

Adventurist
Founding Member
Around here most fisherman head west to the ocean to fish this time of year. I head in the opposite direction. The deserts of Imperial Valley with its network of canals and rivers offers some of the best freshwater fishing anywhere in Southern California.

I had a night to myself at the end of this long weekend, so what better way to spend it than exploring some new areas to fish. Quite a few areas had a steep drop off to the water so I wasn't too sure about being able to land a fish there alone. I also thought 5 bluegill would be enough bait. Wrong. I've never ran out of bait while fishing out there before, so next time I'll have to make sure I have more than enough to get me through the night.

Some of the "roads" that lead to a little more remote areas were so soft and silty that I was worried about getting stuck a few times, even with 4 wheel drive. After settling on a spot and getting everything set up a few other fisherman stopped by to chat. They had some nice sized carp for bait and after a bit went on in search of another spot to fish.

As soon as the sun went down I managed to catch a 5 and then 7 pound Flathead catfish. The rest of the night was fraught with heartbreak as I somehow lost three very nice fish. I'm sure if things had gone differently I would have managed a new personal best, which is only 15 lbs for me. The fish that I lost were just about the strongest fighting fish I've ever hooked into. At least I was able to catch a glimpse of one as it thrashed violently right at the shoreline just before breaking away. That was just after midnight and the last of my bait. Looking forward to getting out again soon.

Billed as the "lowest-down city in the Western Hemisphere" because it lies 184 feet below sea level, Calipatria is famous for its standard that floats a flag at the exact level of the Pacific Ocean.

Catching bait.

The nearby Alamo River, which flows from Baja California, across Imperial Valley to drain into the Salton Sea, is an area I frequently fish. It was formed in 1905 along with the New River and modern Salton Sea when the Colorado River flooded and broke through several levees. It took two years to control the Colorado River's inflow to the Imperial Valley. In most places, the Alamo River is a vegetation-choked ravine with a small watercourse at the bottom. However, there are areas where the river widens and clear areas along its bank allowing access for fishermen.

Four wheel drive is needed to get to this remote section of the river.

My fishing spot for the night.

A beaver swam by to say hi...

Flathead Catfish

Back
Top Bottom