Dave's Jeep JT Gladiator: The 'Gator

This was cool to see our Gator build get featured in a full page ad!

C5B5AB70-18FC-4B48-9B8C-6E40385C8E4E.jpeg

After too long collecting dust on my workbench, I finally got the Waterport Day Tank installed on the front bed rail of the Gladiator - it just fits there between the Leitner XL Gear Pods and is a great use of space while keeping the floor of the bed still free for cargo. It's also easy to get to for service or removal.

I've tried several shower setups over the years, and I like this one the best for a few reasons. Number one being simplicity, it self-pressurizes with a garden hose (yep), or I can refill and pressurize it in the field with the built in pump cap, or by the air compressor or bicycle pump using the fitting on the side.

It holds 3.85 gallons which is PLENTY for a couple quick Navy showers in the field. Now to mount the Quick Pitch Ensuite shower enclosre on the Leitner ACS rack.

F15F9C6D-7B41-4382-B337-F11DDD402900.jpeg
8762E1CB-E0BD-429C-81A8-7A6C8A5127CE.jpeg
FD2DE455-6EB6-43CA-B46B-2E47C9A41D44.jpeg
82C8E7F8-41FA-4C4B-BD9D-04D2F0A7DA28.jpeg

After too long collecting dust on my workbench, I finally got the Waterport Day Tank installed on the front bed rail of the Gladiator - it just fits there between the Leitner XL Gear Pods and is a great use of space while keeping the floor of the bed still free for cargo. It's also easy to get to for service or removal.

I've tried several shower setups over the years, and I like this one the best for a few reasons. Number one being simplicity, it self-pressurizes with a garden hose (yep), or I can refill and pressurize it in the field with the built in pump cap, or by the air compressor or bicycle pump using the fitting on the side.

It holds 3.85 gallons which is PLENTY for a couple quick Navy showers in the field. Now to mount the Quick Pitch Ensuite shower enclosre on the Leitner ACS rack.

View attachment 55232View attachment 55233View attachment 55234View attachment 55235

Nice! I picked up one of those 50ft expanding garden hoses of Amazon; it packs up small and comes with a carry sack. Now I can fill up anywhere I can find a tap. Usually ranger stations will accommodate. My Waterport also gathered dust far too long but now it has earned a full time spot to hose down gear or critters on demand.

I’m assuming that the bag version is assembled like the aluminum box version. If so, you might want to replace all of the fasteners with stainless steel. Mine all rusted quite badly. Even the washers under the rivets. I now have to drill out all of the rivets and replace every bolt, nut, and washer.

:eek:

Sounds like dissimilar metals corrosion. Or near salt water?

Or near salt water?
Nope, just good ol' rust from condensation in the aluminum box. IT was put away bone dry, but when I opened the box last fall the inside was wet. Either sucking in moisture from the air, or a tiny leak that doesn't accumulate.

I figured with you near salt air, you might want to preemptively swap them out.

Nope, just good ol' rust from condensation in the aluminum box. IT was put away bone dry, but when I opened the box last fall the inside was wet. Either sucking in moisture from the air, or a tiny leak that doesn't accumulate.

I figured with you near salt air, you might want to preemptively swap them out.

‘We have the box version and have not had any problems rusting...even after 10 weeks on the road last summer...

Dave - I’m looking at some sort of shower arrangement with my Glad build and am wondering if you’ve given any thought to how/if you will be heating the water? (Asking for my wife!).

‘We have the box version and have not had any problems rusting...even after 10 weeks on the road last summer...

Dave - I’m looking at some sort of shower arrangement with my Glad build and am wondering if you’ve given any thought to how/if you will be heating the water? (Asking for my wife!).

I've had one of these for almost two years. It's intentionally black and depending on sun exposure it will get the water warmer than cold, but not warm. We've pulled a gallon or more out, boiled it, and poured it back in for warm water. It can handle the heat and the bigger pot you have the hotter you can make it. It's surprisingly easy to pressurize from zero just using the hand pump but the Schrader valve is better.

Thanks Doug.

Other than solar heating, I don’t really have a want or need for heating at this point. At least here in Florida, I may feel differently in Utah ;)

Here’s some better pictures of the Quickpitch Ensuite on the Gladiator

272B5535-4763-4820-A8FF-71B3B8204A19.jpeg

31044A75-F536-42AE-B8AA-46612C51C0F5.jpeg

265D13E7-EE9B-4CDF-9C7A-C127247F0434.jpeg

10C1C74D-9C52-4857-9C66-77F018D8E0D2.jpeg

8702AAD6-C431-476B-87E3-94CECBDBDCC9.jpeg

I was wondering how long there is pressure in the tank. I.e. can you take a Navy shower on one pressurization or will you have to stop and pump it back up “mid stream” so to speak.

I was wondering how long there is pressure in the tank. I.e. can you take a Navy shower on one pressurization or will you have to stop and pump it back up “mid stream” so to speak.

There’s a ton of pressure. I can do a whole “Hollywood Shower” on one pressurization.

:D

I’m headed to Moab soon, so the whole setup is about to get some real world use.

Surprised it took you so long. The difference is night and day. After running illegal for about a year using a hand held Boefeng I took the test and bought a Yeasu FTM 400 mobile unit. 50 watts of power, reach out and talk!

Surprised it took you so long. The difference is night and day. After running illegal for about a year using a hand held Boefeng I took the test and bought a Yeasu FTM 400 mobile unit. 50 watts of power, reach out and talk!

To be honest, I'm just NOT a big fan of ARLL and how they run their archaic, ham nerd mafia.

It's ridiculous in this day and age to have to seek out some random old codger on a local level for a pencil and paper exam given once every 90 days if the moon is full down at the local Feed and Seed... total rubbish.

But, that's the game so I like you will have to "kiss the ring" to be legal and get a call sign for simple trail comms. That's literally how far my interest extends, and why it's taken me so long. Their system of licensing and testing is arcane and elitist for no good reason IMHO.

To be honest, I'm just NOT a big fan of ARLL and how they run their archaic, ham nerd mafia.

It's ridiculous in this day and age to have to seek out some random old codger on a local level for a pencil and paper exam given every 90 days at the local Feed and Seed... total rubbish.

But, that's the game so I like you will have to "kiss the ring" to be legal and get a call sign for simple trail comms. That's literally how far my interest extends, and why it's taken me so long. Their system of licensing and testing is arcane and elitist for no good reason IMHO.

That same reasoning kept me out for a long time. No need for morse code. I don't need/want to join a "radio club." I just want to be legal. It's the 21st century; the test should be available online.

Last fall we invited the local radio club out to the Virginia Rooftop Tent Rally. Allowed people (including myself) to take the test for free on-site at the rally. Easily something that could be done at a Rendezvous.

Back
Top Bottom