Dads' First So Cal Mountain Rendezvous 2015

Blkwgn_wyfee

Adventurist
Why is it that when I write for my beauty blog, I know exactly what should be said and how to say it, but every time Cris asks me to write up a trip report, I can never decide what to say or how long to make it, "We went here and did stuff" just never seems to accurately cover it. So, it never gets written. We have such a blast on these trips, it always seems like there is SO MUCH to say, and I don’t know when or how to stop gushing about how much fun we have had with everyone. This rendezvous, however, was one of the best yet, (although each seems to get better) because after 4 years having adventures with our AAV family, we FINALLY managed to get my dad to agree to come out with us. So I just had to take a second to reflect…
2015-08-28 10.22.53-1.jpg

My dad has been an adventurer and photographer his whole life. He will fondly reflect on that time he drove his brand new ’64 CJ5 (which is currently going through its third complete re-build in his garage and has been my dream vehicle for as long as I can remember) into a deep running river only to hop out and get a picture of it, engine still running, water to the steering wheel, then wade back in, and drive it out. Then there was that time in Baja, both me and my brother with the chicken pox, confined our stretch of the beach (what a way to go through the chicken pox right?). He loves his stories, and I often find myself searching for a way to give him more to tell. We have been an adventure family for as long as I can remember, so finding a community like this was the icing on our adventure cake.
2015-08-29 08.54.05-1.jpg
My father made a deal with us, that if he skipped our annual fathers day trip to Monache Meadows (that he has been doing since long before I was born), that he would come to Mountain Rendezvous with us this year. I believe the conversation was “Please don’t make me drag you kicking and screaming… I will.” We knew he’d end up having a great time, but being a semi solitary creature when it comes to camping, dad was a little concerned “all the young people would think he was an old fogey”. We did consider the close quarters, and knew that wasn’t his thing, but figured if we could just get him out to meet everyone, then he’d end up having a good time. It helped that my uncle is a member and was there as well.
2015-08-28 14.46.32-1.jpg

He drove up on Friday afternoon in his current adventure rig, an off white ’90 Bronco that’s been heavily modified, and seen MANY an over landing trip. After being heartily greeted by Dave and Nori, we led him down to our little “Misfit Alley” in the northwestern corner of camp. We had saved him a spot right at the start of the wood, in hopes of giving him some solitary moments. He was immediately welcomed and pulled into conversation after conversation and was proudly telling my favorite camp stories to anyone who hung out long enough. That night, with the fire restrictions in place, we sat around a lit lantern with several other families and enjoyed the camaraderie that only comes from sitting in the dark around a campfire (of sorts).
2015-08-28 20.10.12-1.jpg

On Saturday, we usually participate in a run, but since we have been all over the mountain, we decided to hang out and relax in camp this year. When it came time to prepare for the potluck, we dragged our chairs and drinks up to the main fire ring to socialize, and partake of the yummy offerings.
2015-08-29 17.05.37-1.jpg

2015-08-29 17.23.14-1.jpg
The lack of coals and fire did nothing to smother the always amazing Dutch oven competition, and the voting was, as usual, difficult. I think my dad really enjoyed it.
2015-08-29 18.09.40.jpg

The raffle was fun, tensions high with excitement as each number was called for the generous prizes. With the constant echoes of “Burn It!” gleefully shouted in the background when a winner took slightly longer than was deemed appropriate, it made for a riotously fun atmosphere.
2015-08-29 18.08.15-1.jpg

Sitting around in the sunshine, doing nothing really takes it out of a person, so after a short chat around a lit stove in the campfire ring, our group mostly dispersed to their beds, leaving me to wander under an amazingly bright full moon. I found Cris up at Dave and Nori’s camp and we sat a laughed for a bit, then headed back down to our site for bed.
2015-08-28 20.36.21-1.jpg

These are always great trips and we come away with these amazing stories to tell, but the fact that my dad was welcomed, had a blast, and committed to another trip really makes me realize how lucky we were to stumble across this family. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is thanks guys! Thanks for making him feel so welcome!
2015-08-29 17.07.40-1 (1).jpg

Another perfect rendezvous in the books.

Last edited:
Great write up Paige. I really am so bummed I missed it... sounds like your dad had a great time!

Thanks for the GREAT trip report and photos Paige - I'm glad your dad came up and was properly welcomed by the the group. Great family story!

:thumbsup

Just saw this one. Great write-up. And nice to learn a little more about the owner of that schweet Bronco. It really stood out from the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom