Crap! Ice Storm

ArkansasDon

Adventurist
Well freezing rain starting this evening here in the Ozarks. We are potentially to pick up between 0.25 and 0.50 of an inch of ice. Any time ice accrues to a thickness of 0.25 of an inch or greater the risk of downed power lines increases significantly. This storm is hitting states from northern Arkansas & southern Missouri to central up to southern West Virginia.

Have plenty of cut & split firewood in the wood crib, our propane tank for the house is sitting about 250gal being a 500gal tank, have plenty of propane in 20lbs bottle & smaller 1lb bottles. Food NO worries there, stock up pantry, we always keep 44 gals of water on hand in 1 gal jugs.
Going to make a huge pot of White Chicken Chili & the wife is making some cornbread to feed off of tomorrow.
Ice3p-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah man, even down here in West Florida the weather has been cold and wet. Crazy winter this year, must be that global warming I keep hearing about.

We are having some cold weather finally, it is February after all, but for the most part the winter here in the hitherlands of NW PA has been pretty mild. Snow about every day but just a few inches here and there. You guys can keep that weather to the south for a change lol.

Snuck out camping at Cloudland Canyon State Park last weekend. Woke up to a couple inches of snow on Sunday morning.

We really wanted to get up to Gatlinburg and the Smokies this weekend but the weather here and there is looking like non-stop cold and wet.

I think we'll drift south along the Gulf coast towards Tampa this weekend instead. Maybe we'll see some sunshine, or at least it will be warm and wet!

:summer

I hear ya Dave. I had a little more suspension work done on Ol' Heavy last week & been biting @ the bit to pull out our squaredrop & head for the National Forest for a few days. There's been some new sections opened up after the logging to check out. But we're looking @ snow, weather conditions in the low double digit during the days & single digit @ night next week. I've been on AccuWeather looking @ the monthly forecast & things here are looking a bit better into the end of the month for us.

ArkansasDon, I love that room! We too are iced in down here in TX... will fire up our wood stove today ;)
thanks, it suits Sally & I fine, the wife loves her antiques. I hung over 36 rolls of wallpaper, I spent months putting all new flooring in, new base boards match to the whitewashed pickled wainscot, convert a mudroom 3\4 bathroom into a walk-in pantry, layed tile in the hallway, both bathrooms & my wifes sewing nook. I put the woodstove in & built the hearth. The woodstove designed & built for manufactured homes it's the only way I could put in a stove so my home insurance wouldn't be canceled. Before I was business owner in firearm industry I was a painting & wall paper contractor C-33 in California.
SAM_2972.JPG
SAM_2978.JPG
SAM_3052.JPG
70677946_2396841143698079_7920828139536646144_n.jpg
SAM_3226.JPG

So very glad I don't have to worry about ice storms.

Big weather drama out here is that it rained (Sprinkled really) last night in the Panamint Valley and the lawn chair I left out got damp. The horrors of camping...

spent 4 hour thawing out the water well, temp was 9 degrees. Had to dig up an old heating pad & wrap the main line around the existing insulation, add another heat lamp in the pump house that makes for 2 of them, finally got water. Power surges through out the day & the utility company is out in full force.
Tonights temps are in the negative digits. Told the wife what better way to spend Valentine's Day evening in front of a roaring fire in the wood stove, maybe having a couple toddies see how much snow we get from this storm.

Might be a good night to finish watching the last season
SAM_2487.JPG

Last edited:
spent 2 1\2 hours this morning thawing out the well to have running water, but froze back up 2 hours later. Power is still on, no surges or signs of going out. Wood stove is still running non stop since all this started. Since Sally & I finished watching the rest of the last season of Black Sheep, time to pull out Rat Patrol
SAM_3231.JPG
SAM_3234.JPG

SAM_2943.JPG

SAM_2208.JPG

Last edited:
You're dealing with some serious-level cold. I remember that if you could keep the pressure-sensing line from freezing up that life was good (but that was a "warmer cold").

Cold winter day, Arkansas got more snow, makes for over 11" so far. Decided to fire up Sweet Swine O Mine Red Box BBQ Smoker with the assistance of DigiQ BBQ Controller & fan.
Made Monterey Chicken, good ol' southern classic Potato Casserole & Cucumber Onion Salad. The wife pulled in from work this evening & supper was finish & ready for her. I'm retired business owner in the custom firearm industry.

I took 2 skinless chicken breast & injected Kosmo's Original Chicken Marinade, followed with Sweet Swine O Mine's Apple Chipotle BBQ Rub, cooked over charcoal & cherry wood chunks @ 270 degrees until a internal temp of 155, were I pulled the breast drizzle Sweet Swine O Mine's Original BBQ Sauce, back in the BBQ pit to set the BBQ Sauce back out sprinkle shredded coby, & cheddar cheese back into the BBQ pit until the cheese is melted pulled & bacon cumbles added to the melted cheese & chives.
SAM_3257.JPG
SAM_3240.JPG
SAM_3245.JPG
SAM_3255.JPG
SAM_3254.JPG

Back
Top Bottom