Cargo Space Organization & Electrical - Aux Batt

offero

Adventurist
Alright, I'm to a point where it's time for something permanent. My normal kit consists of electronics, a fridge, some tools, and a ton of stay-in-the-car gear.

Aux Battery

My Grand Cherokee didn't have room under the hood for an auxiliary battery, so for it and the electronics, I built this cargo box some time ago. I've got that in my cargo space of my Lexus GX / Prado 120 now, but don't really want it there anymore. Incidentally, there is some room under the hood of my GX, so I want to move a battery up there to free up space in the cargo area and keep things tidier. Nobody has as kit for the GX / Prado 120 (all the Aussie aux battery trays mount somewhere different as they don't have a V8 option). Does anyone have recommendations for someone with some fabrication skills for hire? This guy fabbed up his own tray for a battery under the hood of his GX (post 53), which looks really sweet. I did PM him on the other forum to take him up on his offer to make more, but he just had a baby, so that's out of the question. I figure someone locally could probably get something going for me.

Cargo Storage

I leave jumper cables, some tools, an air compressor, recovery gear, first aid kit, a couple Goal Zero LED lights, poop kit, rags, soap, digital multimeter, ham radio cables, iDevice charging cables, etc., etc. in the car all the time and figure it's time to get some drawers to store that stuff permanently. Drawers should also enable to keep my camp kitchen and other camp gear (stakes, guy lines, fire starting stuff, extra mantles, etc.) organized and off the top of the roof.

Fridge

I've got a Dometic/Waeco 50L fridge... pretty straightforward there. I'd like a slide or a drop-down unit depending on the height of drawers.

Electronics

I've got two ham radio transceivers, a CB transceiver, a solar charge controller, a blue sea fuse box, and some 12V & USB outlets for charging. It would be really nice to have this stuff in a clean configuration mounted somewhere on the side of or behind the drawers. The outlets would need to be accessible.

Given the not-so-wide adoption of the Lexus GX here in the US, we don't have drawer options. I've been in contact with Drifta in Australia and they're willing to ship here, but it's going to be expensive. Also their kit doesn't necessarily take into account electronics mounting. Costco has a deal on a kit from Cargo Vault, but it doesn't look to take into account fridge slides or electronics.

So what do you guys think? I know several of you have fabbed stuff up or have nice custom setups.

we might could draw something up at my next mod-day . maybe some insulated aluminum boxes?

pics of your rig andb where you want to put the stuff would help.

we might could draw something up at my next mod-day . maybe some insulated aluminum boxes?

pics of your rig andb where you want to put the stuff would help.

I'll take a couple photos and maybe overlay drawings of what I'm thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

You should talk to the guys at Goose Gear

I'll get in touch with them... I haven't seen your setup in person, but the photos of the kit look de-luxe! I certainly don't have an aversion to a turnkey solution. (Though my pocket might!)

Back
Top Bottom