CALIFORNIA

They found the hikers that went missing in Joshua Tree National Park last summer.

According to the article, Joshua Tree is one of the top 10 DEADLIEST of the National Parks. The desert is no joke folks, if you're heading out there alone, be prepared to take care of yourself for a day or two or three, and make sure someone knows where you are heading.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/

Fire Restrictions on the San Bernardino National Forest have been rescinded.

Target Shooting Areas are open and yellow post sites are open for campfires in the provided fire rings.

Thank you,

Greg.

Gregory Hoffman
SBNF OHV Manager

Forest Service

San Bernardino National Forest

We didn't get pictures but during our Yosemite visit last summer, a wind/thunder storm blew over trees in the main visitor complex and crushed an SUV.

Late 1996 and for about a week the virtually the entire floor of the valley was under 6-8 feet of water so perhaps their caution may be wise. Time will tell.

Looks like they may have called it right, the Merced is supposed to go to 6 feet over flood level today.

It’s hard to imagine Yosemite Valley with flooding 4 feet deep. That’s awesome though!

How right you are, by May the natural part of the valley had pretty much returned to normal however the manmade not so much.

It has been warm in the Mojave... Time to start planning when I am going wandering in the desert.

I know I'll be in the Panamint Valley to see the crater. Desert Proving Grounds to look for treasure are two already planned.

There are probably a few threads over the years that I've mentioned Salvation Mountain or Slab City, both can be found in Nyland, CA on the eastern shore of the Salton Sea.

Both are worth seeing/experiencing if you are in the area IMO, they are said to be on the "other" 100 places to see before you die.

Anyway, I knew there were probably some petty criminals living there. I've camped there twice to witness the Slab City Talent Show. I wouldn't let this scare me away from a day time drive through just to check it out, but I might be a little more leery about staying there unless in a small group.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/1...pect-found-in-town-known-for-lawlessness.html

If you feel the urge to check it out, do a walk thru/drive through and camp in another location, the area is littered with primitive camping to developed camp grounds near by. A group of a few vehicles, I'd still camp there and have a good time.

Back
Top Bottom