California Coastal Expedition 2016

richard310

Adventurist
Author
Another year, another annual trip, the same crew.

With how well our Death Valley Expedition did back in Winter of 2015, the same group has decided to make this a tradition, only a different destination every year. Having the time period set in the dead of winter, locations can be a tad difficult to plan, considering weather conditions and road/trail closures, but with a great crew able to improvise and roll with the punches, anywhere is possible. The usual suspects from last years group will be making this trip, but with a different trip leader this time, and also a different route and location.

With California's desert almost beaten to death, but also great to explore during the winter, we decided to look more coastal and green, and decided along California's coastline would be the ticket. Having a somewhat limited time line of days off from work, the end destination couldn't be too far, and even with a decent distance, the areas between our set-off point to our destination will be filled with sights to see and places to visit. After a few meetings and conversations, we decided on having Big Sur our furthest point and fill in the gaps either on the way up, or on the way down. A few landmarks that were brought up included Caliente Hot Springs, the usual but awesome Prewitt Ridge, Morro Bay/Pismo, Hearst Castle and of course, the miles of epically beautiful coastline that follows California's western edge. A few eatery spots were brought up as well, so we'll be sampling the local foods on our route.

Considering last years DVX15 trip, the way it was planned out called for mostly travel time as Death Valley is so vast. Hitting the campsites before sunset was ideal, but every night was a different campground so time on-trail was at a maximum. This included, depending on when you woke up, a quick teardown of camp and we're Oscar Mike. This really tested your current gear efficiencies and how well you cope with time management and organization. It was definitely an eye opener for a few of us, as we began to see the pros/cons of whatever gear we were using at the time and what would suit your style better. This time, we decided to change it up and stay a few nights at any given campsite along the way. Having doing so will not only let us wake up at a leisurely time, but allow us to explore the immediate areas and do a little hiking/trail running or mingle with the locals. It's definitely a change of pace, but we're always ready for whatever comes our way.

Weather is always a factor when planning out routes and destinations, especially during the winter time. Rain, snow, winds, and low visibility can plague an adventure but at the same time, give you the experience needed for the next time you encounter such elements. We're planning on rain and soft/muddy conditions and we're looking forward to it.

We have the trucks, we have the gear, we have the capabilities.. CCX16 will be this year's trip. Greener, wetter, and just as fun.

Stay tuned for more...

This trip will be a little slower paced with a goal of experiencing some back roads Americana [emoji106]. Ya bend the rules according to the desired destinations right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you're not planning it between Bug Sur and Carmel.

What dates were you guys looking at? I'm still planning on getting the Full Size run during MLK weekend (Jan 14-16), although that weekend is not cast in stone. Don't want to have conflicting dates.

I hope you're not planning it between Bug Sur and Carmel.

As the route is concerned, I don't believe we'll be anywhere past Big Sur. That will probably be our most northerly point, so that fire raging right now shouldn't be an issue. It should be extinguished by then. If not, then we've got bigger problems!

What dates were you guys looking at? I'm still planning on getting the Full Size run during MLK weekend (Jan 14-16), although that weekend is not cast in stone. Don't want to have conflicting dates.

I think we'll be good to go Bob. No conflicts to speak of. :thumbsup

As the route is concerned, I don't believe we'll be anywhere past Big Sur. That will probably be our most northerly point, so that fire raging right now shouldn't be an issue. It should be extinguished by then. If not, then we've got bigger problems!

Just that whole area will be a mess for a while was what I was thinking.

The fire in the Big Sur area is now being blamed on a campfire at a campground where fires were prohibited.

From another article...

The damage from the Big Sur fire could ultimately be much worse than it is now.

All California state parks in the area are closed until further notice.

Last edited:
We will be having one more meeting amongst the group to finalize all we've planned. This will happen a few weeks before the actual step off date. The reasons we do this is first so we are on the same page and clarify any last minute questions but it's also in case Mother Nature fights back. It's hard to know 6 months out what natural events may be going on pre trip. For instance Big Sur still has a fire blazing.

People write threads asking what goes into planning a trip. These trips we do are perfect examples of what goes into them. Planning, planning then some more planning. First we have to decide when and then a general where. Once that's done it's time to spill over the maps and books.

To me this is one of the hardest parts. Finding destinations that will satisfy everyone's desires and peak their interest. Also to have each spot logistically make sense. What type of time frame are we on and how far do we want to travel each day. How much time in the rigs do we want to spend as opposed to in camp. When in the rigs what kind of roads or trails.

Last year it was all adults with a couple kids, the kids were of the older variety so they were mostly up for the grueling pace necessary to see everything we wanted to see in DV. This year we planned to spend more time in each camp for the younger kids. Also we planned to drive some back roads for the Americana aspect of it. The point being is the pace and mileage all need to be planned before hand. As a group we even left an entire day without a destination this trips so we can stay somewhere we want a day longer or randomly hit up somewhere a local may recommend. When everything like this is planned the group knows ahead of time and is all on the same page. Plus if everyone knows the complete plan anyone can step up and take over if an emergency happens.

Just some tidbits for thought.

We're certainly interested depending on details. We'd likely be in the big truck and camper. Do you have dates picked yet?

Back
Top Bottom