[Build Thread] 2004 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) ~ Mild build

Dean

Adventurist
Founding Member
I was around when AAForum first got started, but then dropped off the radar and haven't posted in a while. Trying to get back into the swing of things and looking forward to both Appalachian Rendezvous and Overland Expo East this year.

Figured I'd post up my build so far. Going for a more mild build than anything crazy. Trying to stick to a lower budget too but spending money wisely where it counts.

Anyway, here she is as she sits now [Updated 2016-03-13]:

c8kHRNJ.jpg

Pic taken 2016-03-06 @ Michaux State Forest, PA

Chassis: 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited "LJ"
Duties: Street/Trail/Overland Rig
Engine: 4.0L inline six
Trans: 4-speed automatic
T-case - Housing: Command-Trac 231
T-case - Gears: 2.72:1
Axle - Front: Dana 30
Axle - Rear: Dana 44
Axle - Gears: 4.88:1
Differential - Front: Automatic Mechanical Locker
Differential - Rear: Factory Trac-Lok Limited Slip
Body Lift: 1" Body Lift
Suspension: 2" JKS Mfg JSpec dual-rate lift kit
Wheels: 15x8 Black Steel Wheels with 4" back-spacing
Tires: 31x10.50r15 All-Terrains
Skid Plates: Factory "Sport" skid plate package

Armor:
  • AtoZ Fabrication HD Front Bumper
  • AtoZ Fabrication Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
  • AtoZ Fabrication Rock Slides
Other Mods:
  • JKS Mfg "Quicker" Swaybar Disconnects
  • 1" HD Motor Mounts
  • Custom DIY Cargo Management System
  • Aftermarket AM/FM/CD & Satellite Radio System
  • 6" Pocket-style fender flares & rear mud flaps
  • Custom DIY dual fuel-can carrier
  • ViAir Corp "Ultra Duty" 200 psi Onboard Air System
  • Rigid Industries LED Headlights and Auxiliary Driving Lights
Major Maintenance Items:
  • New all metal radiator and new thermostat
  • Replaced PCV and breather lines
  • New PCM
  • New TPS and Spark Plugs
  • New Fan Clutch
  • New Battery and Battery Cables
  • New catalytic converters and oxygen sensors
  • New tensioner, idler pulley, and serpentine belt
  • Rear driveshaft rebuild
  • Front driveshaft rebuild
  • New Front Windshield
  • Replaced faulty rear limited slip

Last edited:
Subscribed. Nothing but love for the LJ. I miss mine everyday! I have a bunch of leftover parts etc. that I'm selling. let me know if there's anything that you're in need of....

I like it! That year and model Jeep is one of my favorites.

I've been wanting an LJ since they came out. I was hoping for a Rubicon, found one, but the dealer was a dick about it. Found this one at a different dealer that was super cool. Ended up paying $3k under book value for it and saved a little extra since I was like, "um, yeah, I'll be taking this as-is and won't be needing the warranty." The sale guy followed up a month later I sent up the pick from above. He was like, "now I see why you didn't want the warranty."

Subscribed. Nothing but love for the LJ. I miss mine everyday! I have a bunch of leftover parts etc. that I'm selling. let me know if there's anything that you're in need of....

PM or link me with a list of what you got. Money is tight right now, but for the right part at the right price i'd be willing to take some stuff on your hands.

Nothing jumps out at me as a "must buy right now" item, but I'll keep that list in mind.

Hey...that could have been my LJ's twin when I first got it. I occasionally miss my Grey Mouser, so I'll get my LJ fix by watching yours evolve instead.

Here are a few pics from when I first got her. All in all she was pretty clean inside and out. No water damage or any kind under the carpets. Underside was blemish free. Swapped the 31's from my Grand over once the body lift was on.

YT3egmg.jpg

Utq75bK.jpg

Somp82e.jpg

fM27IiZ.jpg

So after getting nabbed by the PSP for driving with tires sticking out beyond the flares, it was finally time to get new flares. While these flares are still technically "illegal" by the "letter of the law" hopefully they fulfill the "intent of the law" and I can avoid any future confrontations.

9TxyHfQ.jpg

Also a teaser of what's to come since you'll notice the rock-rails are missing. They, along with some other goodies, are at the powder-coaters. Should have some new hardware to show off soon.

So after getting nabbed by the PSP for driving with tires sticking out beyond the flares, it was finally time to get new flares. While these flares are still technically "illegal" by the "letter of the law" hopefully they fulfill the "intent of the law" and I can avoid any future confrontations.

I shudder to think what they would think of mine! Can't believe they hassled you about that!

So I've had a pretty busy past few weeks prepping the LJ for this year's coast-to-coast No Highways Tour. Pretty much all of these modifications revolve around upgrading old fatigued parts and stepping it up a notch. The only thing I probably overshot was the gear ratio. I was, and still am, planning on 33's but the deal I had fell through leaving me on 31's with pretty deep gears. It should level out once I get my 33's, but for the time being she's a low-speed rocket with max cruise of around 55-60 mph. Might make for a long drive west. Coming east won't be a big deal since I spend most of my time bellow that on back roads. We'll see.

Also, I apologize for links to my build posts on my forum rather than just reposting them here. I try and throw some highlights about the what and why of each one.

1. JKS Manufacturing 2" J-Spec Lift Kit - My OEM springs and shocks were toast at 12 years old with just over 150,000 miles on them. Rear was bottoming out and the front was sloppy leaving me with a 'floaty' feel. This new kit is awesome and firmed things up really good. Down the road I'll do control arms, but for now this kit covers my bases pretty well.
  2. Rigid Industries LED Headlights and High/Low Auxiliary Driving Lights - My stock lighting left a lot to be desired. My headlights were dim and faded (turned out to be some bad wiring) and my OEM fog lights were missing. The set I was using were a set of 130w slim lights I picked up for sale at a swap meet many moons ago. I opted for the high/low lights because I think the built-in attenuation down to 20% will be more useful in bad weather when using the amber covers.
  3. Gears and front Locker - I had always planned on doing gears and had hoped to wait a while before doing them. Sadly the Jeep did not like towing the trailer and just lacked grunt. The 42lre transmission is gutless. Figured on deeper gears anyway to go with the planned 33's and was told to one ratio deeper than usual given my plans to tow. Conventual jeep wisdom is to go with 4.56's with 33's, I've opted to go with 4.88's. So yeah, 4.88's are a little deep for 31's. Oh well.
For the record some of these products are part of corporate partnerships relating to my book series and my blog. I know there's a bit of distain for "sponsorships" but I can assure you I'm not here to push product. I can't speak for every sponsorship/corporate-partnership deal penned by other people, but I can say I am very picky about who I deal with. I have turned down just as many potential sponsorship deals as I've accepted. I primarily deal with American owned companies that do all, or at least most, of their manufacturing here in the US. This is a global economy so I can't make that a blanket rule, but that is my preference.

Anyway, I hope the above install writeups give a little insight into what I've been up to lately.

Upgrade time again. This time, control arms.

Bent one in Moab while on my trip this year:

AohMyz3l.jpg

Apparently I had more problems than I originally thought:

k7C4Butl.jpg

Old (bent) lower verses new lower:

SOHuLfDl.jpg

Old upper verse new upper:

3QN7bcAl.jpg

Shot of the front with the control arms in place:

0WcMxdvl.jpg

Shot of the rear with the new arms:

BFdMCd5l.jpg

And of course a little group shot with my helpers' rigs after some well earned wings and beer:

bHxq8u9l.jpg

And a "first day of summer" shot up in the mountains of the local state forest testing everything out:

YuBwN3pl.jpg

Now I just need some new tires...

How did she ride after the new arms were installed?

Like a dream. I thought my intermittent wobble was just bad crappy tires. Even with the new stabalizer I still had a slight shimmy in the steering and a little bit of bump-steer. Now she's rock solid. I'll be hitting up the local off road park to flex out the suspension and put it through it's paces. The end goal has always been a tripple purpose rig that still has street and highway manners for daily driving, can do the ovelrand thing, but also tackle technical terrain. This suspension system from JKS seems like it will do all three really well. I know on my trip earlier this year the springs and shocks were doing great on road and off. Just pushed it a little too hard in Moab bending the OEM arm and blowing out the rear shocks. Can't blame the shocks though. I was just rock crawling with too much extra weight. I do foresee some better shocks and maybe some air-bumps for the rear... but we'll see how the "diet" goes as I trim off some of the fat from the Jeep.

Correctly adjusted bump stops and limit straps will save your shocks. The steering damper is a band aid, just masks death wobble, generally there is an underlying cause (tire balance, alignment, steering component wear are major causes). When we were a Jeep dealer I used to argue with my District Manager about that regularly. Jeep's fix was a Rancho 5000 damper.

Correctly adjusted bump stops and limit straps will save your shocks.

Mine blew out the seals from too much weight. They didn't bottom out or over extend. Just came down off a ledge too hard too fast and <<<PPPFFFTTTT>>> popped the shocks. The LJ is a lot longer than the base TJ and the excess cantilevered weight of my spare and fuel cans hanging off the back were just too much for the shocks. I'm sure by then they were pretty hot. Air-bumbs would help take the load off the shocks in that kind of situation...but so well unloading a lot of the unneeded gear and redistributing what's left.

I've got an '05 LJ Rubicon, wanted to build a CJ-6 then Jeep came along with the LJ and saved me the trouble!

Back
Top Bottom