Best $200 I ever spent, on a tent...

Scott

Adventurist
I guess this goes here, but I have to say, now that I've had this Napier Sportz Truck Bed Tent out a few times, I absolutely love it. I would LOVE to be able to take my hard side slide in camper with me everywhere I camp, but it's not always practical, especially when I am on a solo camping trip (which happens more than I'd like!) My wife was tired of sleeping in a ground tent, with wind blowing and rocks digging into her back. So I started to do some research and came across the Napier Sportz truck bed tent... VOILA! This had to be what she was looking for. I had 8 feet of unused bed space to fill, and this tent would do it nicely. So, out came the American Express, and I ordered it. First test fit pictures:

truck+tent+1.jpg

truck+tent2.jpg

truck+tent3.jpg

And here's a few of the tent on our first outing at Mojave Preserve. It is SERIOUSLY easy to setup, 2 poles, and a few straps that go on the truck bed. When it came time to leave camp and go out into the desert, it was as simple as unhooking the strops around the bed, then pull the truck directly out the back of the truck, and set it on the ground, with an ice chest of heavy item inside the tent to keep it from blowing away. It also comes with an awning that goes off the back of the truck for some shade. I haven't had the chance to use that yet, because it's always been too windy to use it. I don't have the truck bed air matress, but that may be the next purchase. Anyway, here are a few more pictures, and if anyone else is looking for a fairly inexpensive solution for camping OFF the ground, I would highly recommend the Napier Sportz Tent!

P2042920.JPG

P2042923.JPG

P2042926.JPG

P2042907.JPG

P2053113.JPG

P2053116.JPG

Overall, this was quite possibly one of the best investments in camping I've made. It's easy to set up with one person as well, which is nice, since I don't always have help!

Scott

Last edited:
Yea site says they make them for the Taco, I may look into getting one of those.

Finally was able to update with pictures and more info! :) If anyone is curious to see it, I'll be at Desert Rendezvous with it!

I'm not sure if it was the same brand, but I saw a couple with a new (to them) first generation Tacoma with a truck bed tent on it this weekend. I invited them to join us on here and leave a review of the tent. We'll see if they show up. Thanks for the review.

It's an interesting concept no doubt. I know there have been long-term quality concerns with it so I'm curious on how it holds up. Keep us posted. :)

I guess this goes here, but I have to say, now that I've had this Napier Sportz Truck Bed Tent out a few times, I absolutely love it. I would LOVE to be able to take my hard side slide in camper with me everywhere I camp, but it's not always practical, especially when I am on a solo camping trip (which happens more than I'd like!) My wife was tired of sleeping in a ground tent, with wind blowing and rocks digging into her back. So I started to do some research and came across the Napier Sportz truck bed tent... VOILA! This had to be what she was looking for. I had 8 feet of unused bed space to fill, and this tent would do it nicely. So, out came the American Express, and I ordered it. First test fit pictures:

truck+tent+1.jpg

truck+tent2.jpg

truck+tent3.jpg

And here's a few of the tent on our first outing at Mojave Preserve. It is SERIOUSLY easy to setup, 2 poles, and a few straps that go on the truck bed. When it came time to leave camp and go out into the desert, it was as simple as unhooking the strops around the bed, then pull the truck directly out the back of the truck, and set it on the ground, with an ice chest of heavy item inside the tent to keep it from blowing away. It also comes with an awning that goes off the back of the truck for some shade. I haven't had the chance to use that yet, because it's always been too windy to use it. I don't have the truck bed air matress, but that may be the next purchase. Anyway, here are a few more pictures, and if anyone else is looking for a fairly inexpensive solution for camping OFF the ground, I would highly recommend the Napier Sportz Tent!

P2042920.JPG

P2042923.JPG

P2042926.JPG

P2042907.JPG

P2053113.JPG

P2053116.JPG

Overall, this was quite possibly one of the best investments in camping I've made. It's easy to set up with one person as well, which is nice, since I don't always have help!

Scott

This are some old photos!
Wow. Saw my cruiser in one of the photos with my old Hannibal on the roof. Brings back memories.

This are some old photos!
Wow. Saw my cruiser in one of the photos with my old Hannibal on the roof. Brings back memories.

That was yoshs bday a few years ago lol.. I remember that tent. I loved tour cruiser! Hoping to see ya again at drv.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

So, I had a minor glitch with the tent at DRV. One of the pockets that's sewn onto the tent, where the tent pole sits in, ripped completely apart from the tent :( I can see why it was mentioned that there were issues with durability. Luckily it ripped clean, and didn't affect the tent at all, and I was still able to use it. I'll have to find a good heavy duty fabric seamstress to sew it back together, but that should not be too hard.

So, I had a minor glitch with the tent at DRV. One of the pockets that's sewn onto the tent, where the tent pole sits in, ripped completely apart from the tent :( I can see why it was mentioned that there were issues with durability. Luckily it ripped clean, and didn't affect the tent at all, and I was still able to use it. I'll have to find a good heavy duty fabric seamstress to sew it back together, but that should not be too hard.

it may not make sense as far as cost goes, but for outdoor gear repairs, Rainy Pass Repairs does great mail order work http://rainypass.com/

it may not make sense as far as cost goes, but for outdoor gear repairs, Rainy Pass Repairs does great mail order work http://rainypass.com/

They look like a cool place! Might have to see what they'd charge to do it. Shipping might kill the deal. I've emailed the manufacturer of the tent, but I doubt I'll get anywhere with them, since it's got a 1 year limited warranty and I've had the tent for 4 years already, and only used it 3 times. I guess we'll see what they say, but I'm not holding my breath.

IMO it would be easier to take it to any local marine upholstery place... should be pretty easy to find in SoCal.

IMO it would be easier to take it to any local marine upholstery place... should be pretty easy to find in SoCal.

There is a marine place near my house up here that may be able to get it done cheap. I just need to find the time to get over there during business hours.

I had one of those Napier Sportz Truck Bed Tent in my old truck. Used it a few times but found it a bit flimsy. But still loved the concept. So with my new truck I picked up Kodiak's version. Twice the price but is very sturdy. Made it through three severe thunderstorms last summer and it never moved or leaked. Love it.

Here's my setup.

The Kodiak is also a real nice tent. I still have the Napier and it's still working great and still haven't repairs the issue with the corner pocket. We are taking a week long trip to grand canyon and ovx with it, leaving on Sunday.. This time around we will have me, the wife and a 3 year old and 5 month old.. If the Napier fails anytime soon I'll be looking into the Kodiak next as it looks super durable.

A little update.. just got home from overland expo in flagstaff.. two days earlier than planned because the huge winds just about tore my tent in half. It's completely trashed. It had a good 6 years.. time to start researching other options...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom