Battery drain after winch install

So this is the switch you replaced with some other?

2018-03-17.png

So I am still battling this slow battery drain. Last night when, when I tried to start the machine it cranked but did not start. I started to get smoke from the starter area. The starter on this machine is not accessible for inspection. I spent about an hour removing the CVT vent housing and several other parts. The red (hot) wire was melted where it connected to the starter. After removing this wire from the starter and starter solenoid, I found it has worn through from rubbing the frame. Could this cause my battery drain? or does that wire only get juice when trying to start? I am replacing the starter, solenoid and wires. The highlighted wire is the one that has the short
Capture.PNG

So I am still battling this slow battery drain. Last night when, when I tried to start the machine it cranked but did not start. I started to get smoke from the starter area. The starter on this machine is not accessible for inspection. I spent about an hour removing the CVT vent housing and several other parts. The red (hot) wire was melted where it connected to the starter. After removing this wire from the starter and starter solenoid, I found it has worn through from rubbing the frame. Could this cause my battery drain? or does that wire only get juice when trying to start? I am replacing the starter, solenoid and wires. The highlighted wire is the one that has the shortView attachment 43934

I once had a Nissan 240SX that had a starter that slowly died out. I replaced it but was not careful about the way I had positioned the positive wire to it, because of its location. The rubber boot was contacting the metal sub-frame near the starters positive terminal and I hadn't seen it. Everything was fine until I drove off and parked at another location. The heat from the motor finally melted the boot and caused a short. Came back out a few minutes later to a dead vehicle that wouldn't attempt to start. Tried to connect jumper cables to it and it caused a huge arc that immediately melted half of the battery post and sent molten lead everywhere. I had to have it towed the short distance back to a lift, so I could get back under to the starter and find/fix the short. So... I would say it's possible, but it also had an integrated solenoid on the starter. If yours is separate like the schematic implies, I would say no.

Came back out a few minutes later to a dead vehicle that wouldn't attempt to start. Tried to connect jumper cables to it and it caused a huge arc that immediately melted half of the battery post and sent molten lead everywhere.

:panic

Same problem draining the battery after installed properly on atv. My draw was the relay. I disconnected everything to winch and rocker switch, then left neg wire to battery attached. When I put a test light between pos wire and terminal, there was a slight draw still, enough to drain the battery after a few days. So I guess I need a new relay.

So it turns out my problem was the shorting wire. I replaced the starter, the starter solenoid, and the wires between the battery, solenoid and starter. No problem for over 9 months now.

Back
Top Bottom