Anyone into HF radio?

dorton

Adventurist
Often times when I set up camp, I’ll go ahead and break out my QRP rig, EndFed or NVIS antennas and see what’s going on. Anyone else enjoy operation in the field?

Just got my tech license and dipping my toe into this. I'll be lurking here :)

i have an 817nd but haven't had a chance to run it at camp. i have noticed that it's a f***ing power hog though.

tech license means only 10m ssb is available to me. unless i want to start playing w/ psk31 or similar digital modulations

I'm working on my General now, what kind of antenna are you using for NVIS ? Favorite bands ?
For NVIS lately, I’ve been using a Chameleon Antennas CHA Micro with a 50ft counterpoise (coverage from 1.8-54Mhz) on 80m. I’ve used homemade dipoles for the same in the past.
More regularly I use an LNR Precision Trail Friendly EndFed on 20 and 40m as a QRP setup.

Hi, new guy here, lurking around to see if this forum has stuff that's particularly interesting to me...

I'm a general class and have only been dabbling in HF a little bit as I have time. I'm into it mostly because I love collecting military equipment and my particular breed of radio is an absolute prize to me: a Harris PRC-138 (RF-5200). It's a waterproof, absurdly ruggedized HF manpack radio operating on all frequencies from 1.6-59.999 MHz, 20W output, frequency hopping (20 hops/s), ALE, an absurdly fast automatic tuner (to support ALE and hopping), multiple data modes integrated (39 tone, serial, FSK), and the ability to operate on USB, LSB, CW, AM, or WFM. It's a real monster of a radio to communicate with anybody that you have a coordinated communication plan with, but it's definitely not the best radio for contesting or just trying to find random contacts, as there is no VFO knob to quickly zip through frequencies.

I definitely way under-utilize this radio, but I'm trying to get involved with some more amateur radio groups in order to get me out and operating. Most definitely, I want to be working with digital modes as much as possible.

Hi, new guy here, lurking around to see if this forum has stuff that's particularly interesting to me...

I'm a general class and have only been dabbling in HF a little bit as I have time. I'm into it mostly because I love collecting military equipment and my particular breed of radio is an absolute prize to me: a Harris PRC-138 (RF-5200). It's a waterproof, absurdly ruggedized HF manpack radio operating on all frequencies from 1.6-59.999 MHz, 20W output, frequency hopping (20 hops/s), ALE, an absurdly fast automatic tuner (to support ALE and hopping), multiple data modes integrated (39 tone, serial, FSK), and the ability to operate on USB, LSB, CW, AM, or WFM. It's a real monster of a radio to communicate with anybody that you have a coordinated communication plan with, but it's definitely not the best radio for contesting or just trying to find random contacts, as there is no VFO knob to quickly zip through frequencies.

I definitely way under-utilize this radio, but I'm trying to get involved with some more amateur radio groups in order to get me out and operating. Most definitely, I want to be working with digital modes as much as possible.
Nice piece! Even though they do have some limitations, I like to play with the green machines too

45097872492_8787cd75c5_z.jpg

30208482097_724ae0511a_z.jpg

I learned how to operate a PRC-119B by touch because the LAV turret had them mounted behind me and under a hatch. I missed being able to do everything by feel when we switched to the menu driven 152’s.

I rarely use my 2m unless it’s for intervehicle comm on a trip. HF might be interesting though.

Back
Top Bottom